Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best shooting vest for IDPA ?

zipollini

I got the one that IDPA sold on their website a long while back before they were crazy overpriced. It is a good concealment vest no doubt. I hear great things about the Armadillo Concealment vests, as you can specifically get it fit for your body at the same price the vest from the IDPA. If I was going to get another one, that's the way I would go.

I know master class guys who wear everything from sport coats to photography vests. Don't sweat the vest thing it's probably not worth the money. You just need something that's stiff enough to easily sweep out of the way and doesn't have draw strings or pockets that will get caught up in the holster. If you live on a pacific island and don't own anything other than tee shirts, go with the 511 vest.

OP, since this is your first match, just wear something loose fitting that sweeps easily. There is alot more going on in the match than concealment. Get a good holster like BladeTech, good belt like Wilderness Tactical, and 2 single mag pouches. Electric ears are a big plus. If you really just want the vest, get a $25 fishing vest from Walmart.

Edited by 9x45

Unless you are sure you are going all out in IDPA, just get something that meets the rules (completely covers your holster and mag holder(s) when in scarecrow position) and has some stiffness with no strings or cords.

If you are committed to going all in, Armadillo seems to be the best.

If you really just want the vest, get a $25 fishing vest from Walmart.

Do I have to wear one of those hats with all the fishing lures hanging all over it too ? :-)

Ok, you asked for it! No, those fishing hats are hideous, but if you really want to be a IDPA Fashinista, then this is the IN look....

And don't forget your conceal carry pack.

image35074.jpg

image34481.jpg

If you really just want the vest, get a $25 fishing vest from Walmart.

Do I have to wear one of those hats with all the fishing lures hanging all over it too ? :-)

Ok, you asked for it! No, those fishing hats are hideous, but if you really want to be a IDPA Fashinista, then this is the IN look....

And don't forget your conceal carry pack.

image35074.jpg

image34481.jpg

No question about it. The leather chaps will really make a fashion statement. I'm hearing YMCA, ya got to stay at the YMCA :-)

A vest isn't going to make you shoot better or worse, but a specific IDPA or conceal carry vest is typically a bit longer and has more useful pockets and stiffer sides.

I've shot with flannel shirts, Hawaiian shirts, all manner of jackets and just about anything that I thought would work.

Now I use the 5.11 vest, and I don't have the occasional messed up draw because I don't grab enough fabric on the first try when I use it. Can't say the same about other options.