Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI oversized mag release button

Sarge

I had one for a while on my STI Eagle and ended up switching to a Lo-Pro from Dawson. I found the sti was just a little too big. I really wanted to like it, but table starts risked ejecting the mag as someone stated, and the other biggest issue, was it felt like it completely got in the way when shooting weak hand, and that is a necessity in USPSA. Everyone's hands are shaped differently though!

Mine showed up yesterday from Shooters Connection. Also ordered the extra power mag catch spring. This mag button is great! I have good sized hands but still had to turn my 2011 slightly breaking my grip. Ordered it because of this thread. With shipping and the extra power spring it was $33.

• 3 months later...

attachicon.gifIMG_0428.JPG

Just talking buttons(paddles) in this thread.

Is yours from the picture stainless? That's what I really want, but have only seen the blued versions for sale.

No. I polished, picked and cleaned it up.

• 1 month later...

If your mag release is already drilled and tapped, it is a 2 minute job to install. If you need to drill and tap your mag release it isn't hard if you have a drill press and good bits and taps. But, it's a 4-40 tap and is easily broken if you aren't careful. Removing the broken tap can range from no big deal (lucky person) to impossible (me).

So, I've now shot two matches with this mag release button installed. In each one, the button ends up rubbing against the base of my thumb during recoil. Both times I ended up with a blister and a little bleeding. Anyone else experienced anything like this with this button? The button doesn't feel like it has any sharp edges, but I may take it off and smooth the edges up a bit more and see if that helps any. I use a thumbs forward grip, so don't think anything is unusual with my grip. I really like how the button works and I hope I can find a fix. I guess I could wear a glove, or just build up a callous there lol.

So, I've now shot two matches with this mag release button installed. In each one, the button ends up rubbing against the base of my thumb during recoil. Both times I ended up with a blister and a little bleeding. Anyone else experienced anything like this with this button? The button doesn't feel like it has any sharp edges, but I may take it off and smooth the edges up a bit more and see if that helps any. I use a thumbs forward grip, so don't think anything is unusual with my grip. I really like how the button works and I hope I can find a fix. I guess I could wear a glove, or just build up a callous there lol.

No offense but your hand shouldn't be moving that much. Would you take a pic or video of your grip and post? Smoothing the edges sounds like a good idea also.

No offense but your hand shouldn't be moving that much. Would you take a pic or video of your grip and post? Smoothing the edges sounds like a good idea also.

No offense at all, just trying to figure out a solution. Don't really feel like my hand is moving. I think it is more that the base of my thumb kind of sits against the rear of the button, then during recoil the button contacts the base of my thumb and does the damage. I'll attach a pic of my grip. Excuse the quality, best I could so solo with my phone.

post-25281-0-98561000-1438005627_thumb.j

Looks like a good grip and you got some meat hooks :) . You could try rolling or rotating your left wrist forward some more. A lot of the top shooters recommend this for control. That may also help with the rubbing. However, doing a good polish job should really help out. Let us know how it goes...

Looks like a good grip and you got some meat hooks :) . You could try rolling or rotating your left wrist forward some more. A lot of the top shooters recommend this for control. That may also help with the rubbing. However, doing a good polish job should really help out. Let us know how it goes...

Cool, thanks for the advice. I'll share how it goes after polishing it up a bit and shooting my next match.

I like them but it does depend on your hands and grip. I have heard guys complain about hitting them unintentionally and dropping a mag but I think they had not practiced with it enough.

As Sarge has said you can rotate this button, in my case with short fingers I have positioned it up so that it lines up with the thumb safety. By doing this and fine tuning the position I can get it so that it fits in the slot between my left thumb and pointer finger. The other consideration which I have found is that in using the Dawson Posi-lock Magazine Release, the magazine release spring seems to be exceptionally light. I called and spoke to the people at Wolff springs and picked up some new springs. I got the heavy spring and the standard spring, the heavy spring was too much for me to release the magazine but the standard spring worked much better than the original spring. When I first got my build back from my gunsmith I had him put a light spring in the magazine release button and all I did the whole match was drop magazines after changing the spring life got better. Good luck on your journey.

If your mag release is already drilled and tapped, it is a 2 minute job to install. If you need to drill and tap your mag release it isn't hard if you have a drill press and good bits and taps. But, it's a 4-40 tap and is easily broken if you aren't careful. Removing the broken tap can range from no big deal (lucky person) to impossible (me).

I currently have a drill bit snapped off in my mag release that has been there for a couple months now lol. It doesn't stick out so I don't notice it. One of these days I'll get it out, I'm too cheap to just buy a tapped one so until that happens it's staying in there.