Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plastic Open guns

JAB

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're always better off shooting 9mm. You lose too much in capacity when you go to .40. You need to replace the barrel with a threaded one anyway to attach the comp, so no sense in worrying about the pressures of major 9. A good replacement barrel should a fully supported chamber and be ok with 9 Major pressures.

I've seen people use an M&P or Springfield XD. I think the Glocks tend to have more parts made for them to be turned into Open guns.

I'm building an Open M&P right now for the family to shoot. They don't like the weight of the 2011s I have so I'm getting it all ready now. I have a CORE so going to try slide mounted first but looking to go to a Cmore 90 degree mounted eventually if they can't deal with the slide optics. I'll be doing some testing this weekend with it.

For what it's worth, I am converting a XDm 4.5 40 to open. Had the gun and it wasn't being used (bought a Xdm 5.25 9mm for 3gun for all the advantages of 9mm)

I just need to decide if I am going to go with a new barrel for a comp or have it magnaported.

Trijicon Rm07 on a springer precision plate with SP slide racker.

Its really only for fun and to experiment, and to give me a reason to not sell the gun, and not something I plan on competing with regularly, at least not until I end up with an open shotgun.

post-43942-0-95326700-1424897803_thumb.j

For what it's worth, I am converting a XDm 4.5 40 to open. Had the gun and it wasn't being used (bought a Xdm 5.25 9mm for 3gun for all the advantages of 9mm)

I just need to decide if I am going to go with a new barrel for a comp or have it magnaported.

Trijicon Rm07 on a springer precision plate with SP slide racker.

Its really only for fun and to experiment, and to give me a reason to not sell the gun, and not something I plan on competing with regularly, at least not until I end up with an open shotgun.

.40 S&W really isn't going to give you enough gas for a comp to be effective anyway.

I actually ran a Glock 22 with a Lone Wolf barrel and Carver comp for the first 6 months I shot Open. I don't think the comp really mattered unless I was running really light 135 gr bullets at high velocity. If you're using 155, 165 or 180 gr bullets, you might as well just shoot a stock barrel.

Just my $0.02, from someone who's been there and done that.

I ran a xdm 4.5 that I installed bobby carvers professional kit on. It was a very good gun. Had I not found a incredible deal on the open gun I have now I would still be shooting it. There is quite a difference in the plastic and metal open guns, in terms of feel, but actually not as much as I originally thought when I shot my xdm.

Chris, in post #6, pretty much got it right. "40 S&W really isn't going to give you enough gas for a comp to be effective anyhow".

I have been shooting an XDm 4.5 (40) open gun for two years now. Even with 155 grain MG HP bullets, the dot leaves the window, for a fraction of a second. So, this winter I worked up a load using Rainer's 135 grain bullet. This allowed me to increase the charge by 1.4 grains @ a power factor of 170.

I can tell a slight difference in muzzle flip, however, the dot still leaves the window. But, my 66 year old trigger finger isn't fast enough to make a difference anyhow . . . the dot is there by the time I squeeze the trigger again :roflol:

I am currently using AutoComp;

6.8 grains under a 155 gr. MG HP - PF 174

8.2 grains under a 135 gr. Rainer's FP - PF 170

This spring I will bring the Rainer's bullet up to a power factor of 175, and see what happens. I honestly do not know how much velocity this plated bullet will stand. Accuracy is equal to the 155 gr. MG, to my surprise :goof:

(edit) Oh, I forgot! I load to an OAL of 1.120 ~ 1.125

(edit #2 . . . ugh!) I am using Springer's 3 port comp.

DISCLAIMER! Your results may vary :P

Edited by Reshoot

With the exception of KC Eusebio(who could throw rocks and still beat me), is anybody having any success with plastic open guns? I see a lot of guys running them at club matches, but it seems like 2011's still dominate the major matches. Is that a fair assessment?

Edited by Rob D

I guess that makes sense. I knew KC was doing well in Steel Challenge using the Glock, but like I said, he would do well with any gun that functions reliably.

It's interesting that while it has it's flaws, the Glock platform has been good enough to win national championships and even earn high placement at the world shoot in Limited division, but never in open. I did see Bob Vogel win open division at the pro-am one year, but that was using an iron-sighted G24 with no comp(same gun he used in limited).

Edited by Rob D

KC did well at Area 5 last year with his Glock. (He won Open, but I don't recall where he was in the combined.) I shot on the squad behind KC, along with Shane Coley and Matt Sweeney, and trust me, KC was MOVING, and the gun was not a problem.

As with most things, it's the Indian, not the arrow.

So other then glock what are people using for open guns are MP any good? using a plastic type gun you be better off shooting a 40cal to make major then using a 9mm?.

Any reason for plastic besides cost? I've seen full Para and Caspian open setups go for under 1k, and STIs for under $1500. If you prefer plastic or light guns I get that.

By the time you festoon a Glock or M&P with a barrel, comp, mount, dot, and trigger you could be into a Para, and not worry about whether or not your setup is "any good".

Everyone knows its the Indian and not the arrow... but sometimes even being a highly skilled Indian with a bad arrow is not enough. Local match? Sure. Nationals? Hasn't happened yet.

So other then glock what are people using for open guns are MP any good? using a plastic type gun you be better off shooting a 40cal to make major then using a 9mm?.

Any reason for plastic besides cost? I've seen full Para and Caspian open setups go for under 1k, and STIs for under $1500. If you prefer plastic or light guns I get that.

By the time you festoon a Glock or M&P with a barrel, comp, mount, dot, and trigger you could be into a Para, and not worry about whether or not your setup is "any good".

Everyone knows its the Indian and not the arrow... but sometimes even being a highly skilled Indian with a bad arrow is not enough. Local match? Sure. Nationals? Hasn't happened yet.

Any open 1911/2011 style gun at those prices are going to be used and abused, ran hard and put up wet. For a BRAND NEW XDm, WITH the necessary components (barrel, comp, optic, mags, etc.) to make it a decent open gun you are looking at about $1500-1700. While I don't see them becoming major players in Nationals or internationals, due to not having aftermarket availability of ALL of the parts of the gun, they do hold a good bit of weight and are a great way to jump into the open division without dropping 4-5k or better on just a pistol.

Any open 1911/2011 style gun at those prices are going to be used and abused, ran hard and put up wet. For a BRAND NEW XDm, WITH the necessary components (barrel, comp, optic, mags, etc.) to make it a decent open gun you are looking at about $1500-1700. While I don't see them becoming major players in Nationals or internationals, due to not having aftermarket availability of ALL of the parts of the gun, they do hold a good bit of weight and are a great way to jump into the open division without dropping 4-5k or better on just a pistol.

Some people buy BRAND NEW Honda Civics and slap turbochargers on them to race. I'd rather have a used Vette.

Either way I was just presenting an option, and asking the question. If plastic makes you happy, by all means, plastic on! I've just seen enough shooters spend $15-1700 on a plastic open gun, try a 2011, then take a beating trying to part it out because nobody will pay that much for a used plastic gun.

I have several XDm's, including a Springer built open Steel Challenge gun in 9mm. For Steel Challenge, where major power factor isn't an issue, it's great. Easy to keep running. It would be fine for someone wanting to shoot steel and maybe try open USPSA shooting 9mm minor to see if they like the game. I'm not convinced any of the plastic guns will handle major power loads for the long run like 2011's do. If you ask Scott Springer or the folks at Powder River I am confident they will tell you the same thing. The platform of choice for open with major pf is the 2011. Bobby Carver has obviously sold quite a few open Glocks, but for me, I'm not sure the price difference between one of those and a 2011 would ever sway me.

My last open USPSA blaster was a Rusty Kid built SV 2011. I am thinking about replacing it with a Ck Arms based open gun in 9mm major. STI seems to be suffering some quality and customer service issues, from what I have been told. For me, a gun based on a CK Arms platform would be my first choice.

And yes, about any serviceable gun in the hands of a top shooter is likely to beat a hobbyist shooting about anything. It's often not the tool, but the hand that holds it.