Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slings technique and WHY!?!?

Dewberry

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, it seems more like it's all about the game now, not the practical side of shooting. It's not really my cup-of-tea. Don't get me wrong....I like a fast stage with lots of movement and fast target transitions.

On the other hand, there are matches out there that do take a more "practical" side to the sport and introduce slings, barricaded shooting and things of that nature that appeases the other side of the fence (which is where I am.) I'm thinking specifically about Fallen Brethren, Superstition Mystery Mountain, and Rocky Mountain.

But yeah, I see your point.

I don't know how practical 3 gun gear is or is not. We have a lot of gadgets strapped to our weapons, belts, chests, etc. But of all the things we get to use, I see a sling as one of the most practical, because having a gun, on your person, and accessible makes a lot of sense regardless of the reasons you may need it. I use mine as a shooting aid with my rifle as well.

When the Zombies come, and I need two both hands to make breakfast, I don't want to have to put my rifle down to do it because we all know Zombies are attracted to the smell of bacon.

Anyway, I sling mine either muzzle down with buttstock at R shoulder or muzzle down on back with muzzle at back or right shoulder.

Edited by Lead-Head

Big down side of the long rifles (compared to short carbines common in CQB) is the fact they kinda do suck to sling, but a good Vickers tactical type quick adjust sling makes it much easier to transition to pistol and keep the gun tight against the body. Rifles slung up front suck to run with, its best to get in to your back if you really need to move, but it sure does make the transition slower. Just like anything, practice is what matters. In MANY really short stages, you can probably drop the rifle to your front and maybe even just shoot strong hand. Another good option that I used to run is a rifle catch hook on your strong side behind your pistol to keep the gun controlled while moving with your pistol. You basically sweep the rifle behind the rifle catch and draw your pistol. Its pretty damn fast with practice. Now if you had to carry all 3 guns, then that will suck with our SUPER long gamer shotguns (26" bbls and +8's:))

Another good option that I used to run is a rifle catch hook on your strong side behind your pistol to keep the gun controlled while moving with your pistol. You basically sweep the rifle behind the rifle catch and draw your pistol. Its pretty damn fast with practice.

Sounds interesting. Please tell us more. Something you made? Any pictures?

Thanks.

Bill

Another good option that I used to run is a rifle catch hook on your strong side behind your pistol to keep the gun controlled while moving with your pistol. You basically sweep the rifle behind the rifle catch and draw your pistol. Its pretty damn fast with practice.

Sounds interesting. Please tell us more. Something you made? Any pictures?

Thanks.

Bill

I made a few that never held up great and eventually bought one made by tactical tailor, but I dont think they make them anymore. Below is a good example of what I am talking about and looks well made.

http://www.tyrtactical.com/products/details/breaching-and-ordnance/weapons-catch/

To me 3 gun nation isn't about the practical nature of the sport at all. We use race gun that are tuned to the edge like a race car, we customize out load out before each stage to fit exactly that stage, and we game targets making sure to not put more time int o them than they are worth. It is 100% about the game, about shooting a stage as fast and efficient as possible while not getting DQ'ed.

With this release saying to expect slings on both long guns maybe 3gn is headed in a different direction for the regionals

And to not require slings on stages simply because some shooters aren't capably of managing their gear safely is playing towards the lowest denominator. Fix the shooter, or get rid of them. But don't dumb down the practical nature of the sport.

I just shot the Western Regionals in St. George and was rather disappointed that the stages were not the same type of stages I had seen on the 3 Gun Nation show. There are lots of outlaw, natural terrain, physical challenge, contortionist matches available, but I wanted and expected a match more like Dewberry described. The Regional was certainly challenging, and the stages were fun, but they were not drag racing with guns.

I carried a slung rifle, slung breach shotgun and holstered pistol for 3.5 years of my life nearly everyday 12-24 hours a day while wearing 60#s of shit running uphill both ways in 12' of snow and never had a problem ;) kidding about the snow and hills though i wished for snow ;)

⬆️ This.

This is a bit odd and may be regional, but I don't think I've shot a match in last couple of years that DIDN'T require a sling somewhere in the match. Maybe it's an East Coast thing, but around here it seems fairly normal to have a stage or two that require a slung rifle or shotgun.

It is in no way dangerous, and personally I like the extra challenge.

Edited by Vlad

If I added up all time with a long gun in my hands down to one hour, 55 minutes would be with a sling on it (even my hunting shotgun has a sling on it). Don't see it as much in competition, and as an RO, if a new shooter has a sling on when it isn't required, I will caution them about considering their sling for issues so they are aware. That being said, in the 3-gun world, why would I not want or use a sling on a rifle or shotgun if the course is built for it. I did adjust and converted to full time competing with a retention holster and it took some time to adapt to it. To borrow a movie line, my view of 3-gun from matches where slings are not employed up to and including the outlaw matches, each match is a personal challenge for me to "improvise, adapt, and overcome" the variations. Heck, if it was easy, I might get bored with it.

Paul : -)#

Simply put, drag races in 3 gun are fun. But so are low crawls, and climbing on top of things to shoot. Variety is the wonderful thing about 3 gun. This is like any other aspect of 3G competition. Everyone has their own opinion.

ETA: I didn't know zombies were attracted to bacon

Edited by BobS761

To me 3 gun nation isn't about the practical nature of the sport at all. We use race gun that are tuned to the edge like a race car, we customize out load out before each stage to fit exactly that stage, and we game targets making sure to not put more time int o them than they are worth. It is 100% about the game, about shooting a stage as fast and efficient as possible while not getting DQ'ed.

With this release saying to expect slings on both long guns maybe 3gn is headed in a different direction for the regionals

And to not require slings on stages simply because some shooters aren't capably of managing their gear safely is playing towards the lowest denominator. Fix the shooter, or get rid of them. But don't dumb down the practical nature of the sport.

I just shot the Western Regionals in St. George and was rather disappointed that the stages were not the same type of stages I had seen on the 3 Gun Nation show. There are lots of outlaw, natural terrain, physical challenge, contortionist matches available, but I wanted and expected a match more like Dewberry described. The Regional was certainly challenging, and the stages were fun, but they were not drag racing with guns.

This is exactly what im talking about, I joined 3gn to experience 3gn. I go to a local monthly match that full of the opposite of 3gn.

My experience (with a data set of two whole clubs) is that clubs have varying reasons for affiliating with 3GN, exposure/advertising being a big one.

That being said, clubs, 3GN affiliated or not, are going to do what their range and equipment (mostly targets) allow them to do. All that steel - poppers, plate racks, etc - that you see on 3GN televised matches isn't exactly cheap. Simple hanging steel is much less expensive, and USPSA/IPSC carboard even moreso.

And count your blessings for being in TX, Eric. I haven't been able to shoot a match with a target past 100 yards since the matches at Academi got shut down about a year ago. I find myself thinking wistfully of Mount Baldy and 500 yard targets...

This is a strange thread to me. I shoot 3gun because it is almost guaranteed to be a different everywhere I go. Thats the awesome part, if I wanted exactly the same thing everywhere, I'd just shoot USPSA some more.

My experience (with a data set of two whole clubs) is that clubs have varying reasons for affiliating with 3GN, exposure/advertising being a big one.

That being said, clubs, 3GN affiliated or not, are going to do what their range and equipment (mostly targets) allow them to do. All that steel - poppers, plate racks, etc - that you see on 3GN televised matches isn't exactly cheap. Simple hanging steel is much less expensive, and USPSA/IPSC carboard even moreso.

And count your blessings for being in TX, Eric. I haven't been able to shoot a match with a target past 100 yards since the matches at Academi got shut down about a year ago. I find myself thinking wistfully of Mount Baldy and 500 yard targets...

A club having a 3 gun nation affiliation doesn't really set up any kind of expectation for me as to what kind of match it will be. But at the 3 gun nation regional, a match put on by 3gn staff at a location of their choosing I expect more drag racing style stages, and certainly not slings. Edited by Dewberry

. But at the 3 gun nation regional, a match put on by 3gn staff at a location of their choosing I expect more drag racing style stages, and certainly not slings.

I think you might be confusing 3GN with 3GN made for TV pro series.

. But at the 3 gun nation regional, a match put on by 3gn staff at a location of their choosing I expect more drag racing style stages, and certainly not slings.

I think you might be confusing 3GN with 3GN made for TV pro series.

Wow, silly me! I see a product/event/sport/etc advertised on TV, then buy/go/participate and the product/event/sport/etc is completely different?

I joined 3 Gun Nation because that was the type of event I would like to shoot. If that is only available to the pro series, then I will be dropping my membership. There are plenty of conventional outlaw 3 gun matches available to shoot.

Wow, silly me! I see a product/event/sport/etc advertised on TV, then buy/go/participate and the product/event/sport/etc is completely different?

I joined 3 Gun Nation because that was the type of event I would like to shoot. If that is only available to the pro series, then I will be dropping my membership. There are plenty of conventional outlaw 3 gun matches available to shoot.

I'm not sure why are mad at me for presenting you with the facts as I understand them.

I'm not sure why are mad at me for presenting you with the facts as I understand them.

Sensitive much? Read my screen name.