Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slings technique and WHY!?!?

Dewberry

Venting first. Sling are stupid slow and dangerous!?!? Ugh....

Sorry about that. With the recent announcement that slings will be required at the 3GN SW regional I'm not starting to think about how to sling my rifle again since its Ben a couple years since I had to do so in a match.

When I used to have to do it I would sling it muzzle up from my right shoulder to my left hip, when I needed it I would grab the muzzle and pull it over my right shoulder and into shooting position. I'm right handed.

Attachment points on the rifle are on the stock close to the receiver and on the handguard so it was just long enough to fit. And on the shotgun are forward on the stock and on the barrel clamp.

Anyone found a better way to do it?

Edited by Dewberry

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played with this a bunch before Blue Ridge one year and my favorite position a 2 point sling, muzzle down with the sling over my weakside shoulder. I set it up by shouldering the rifle with the sling around the weak side of my neck, and tighten sling up until I can pull the rifle a couple of inches out from my shoulder. Then let the rifle down just behind my hip on my strong side. To transition to it I just grab the pistol grip and pull it up to my shoulder, leaving the sling on me. If you're going prone you may need to pull some slack so a VTAC style sling is good for that.

The reason I do it this way is that it was the best combination of the rifle not getting in my way when I was moving and being able to transition without taking off the sling.

Only issue with this is if you have a stage with all 3 guns and pistol is last, then the pistol can get in the way when transitioning.

See 2:00 & 9:10 in this video, I usually tighten it up a little more these days.

Edited by jtielke

I cannot imagine why a slung long gun is dangerous. But, we spend a lot of time practicing loading, dry fire, and other drills. Just spend some time transitioning with a sling. I like my swivels on the side and sling across back muzzle down on right hip.

I cannot imagine why a slung long gun is dangerous. But, we spend a lot of time practicing loading, dry fire, and other drills. Just spend some time transitioning with a sling. I like my swivels on the side and sling across back muzzle down on right hip.

I'm not worried about me, I'm never dangerous. Haha

I'm worried about those who are less experience and don't practice. I'm worried about sling/qd malfunctions that result in the gun on the ground and/or pointed at the RO (aka me).

I'm worried about the sling catching the pistol in the holster and throwing it to the ground as one attempts to unsling the rifle.

Or the safety being clicked off as it rubs against ones back while running.

I have experienced or witnessed all of these things first hand at a local match that rand sling on 2 or 3 stages a month every month for a couple years. Needless to say I was glad when that range stopped using slings on a regular basis.

I see. The local evil genius that makes us sling up always has in WSB that magazines are out of rifle and pistol, shotgun empty if not in use. Pretty sure a hot slung weapon would make me nervous, too. Although inconvenient, it does speed things up not having to stage guns, though.

I like the idea of using slings. We did it at a local and every one had to have mags out and OBI's in. The OBI's may have been overkill, but as it was the first time most of us had run a sling in a match we erred on the side of caution.

I see. The local evil genius that makes us sling up always has in WSB that magazines are out of rifle and pistol, shotgun empty if not in use. Pretty sure a hot slung weapon would make me nervous, too. Although inconvenient, it does speed things up not having to stage guns, though.

We were always cruiser ready, but still not a big fan of a cruiser ready gun on the ground or pointed at me.

Honestly its all going to come down to how 3gn executes it.

If slings are too complicated for shooters then they should take up a sport that does not involve the use of firearms. Slings are the equivalent to holsters.

Not really. Holster a rigid and fixed on the most convient position possible, the trigger is completely covered and gravity works to keep the gun in the holster. The sling is opposite of all that, it normally end up behind you where you can't see it, it is not easy or natural to take it from slug to shooting position, the trigger and safety are both just rubbing around trying to find something to snag on, and gravity is constantly trying to pull it off your shoulder to the ground. Oh and while were on the topic of a holster slings love to grab the grip of your holster and pull it out and throw it on the ground.

That being said, I agree with your first point. I would love to he able to send people home for being a dumbass... But I can't. Trust me if I could I would.

Edited by Dewberry

If slings are too complicated for shooters then they should take up a sport that does not involve the use of firearms. Slings are the equivalent to holsters.

Not realy. Holster a rigid and fixed on the most convient position possible, the trigger is completely covered and gravity works to keep the gun in the holster.

I have seen far more loaded pistols hit the dirt coming out of a holster with no external interference than getting ripped out by a stray sling. It shocks me that I still see people at major 3-Gun matches without an active retention system on their holsters.

I completely agree, which is why I use a holster with active retention. but as I've said above. im worried about others not myself.

Not realy. Holster a rigid and fixed on the most convient position possible, the trigger is completely covered and gravity works to keep the gun in the holster.

I have seen far more loaded pistols hit the dirt coming out of a holster with no external interference than getting ripped out by a stray sling. It shocks me that I still see people at major 3-Gun matches without an active retention system on their holsters.

If the slung rifle is going to be used before the handgun, I sling it either across my chest with buttstock at right shoulder and muzzle at low left or across my back with buttstock at low left and muzzle above my right shoulder. It keeps the sling away from getting under my handgun. If the rifle will be used last, I sling it like Jason Tielke described above. I practice with my gear for all these situations so that depending upon the stage, amount of movement, and order of engagement I can most safely be responsible for my equipment. (Yes, I use a retention holster too just in case.)

And to not require slings on stages simply because some shooters aren't capably of managing their gear safely is playing towards the lowest denominator. Fix the shooter, or get rid of them. But don't dumb down the practical nature of the sport.

To me 3 gun nation isn't about the practical nature of the sport at all. We use race gun that are tuned to the edge like a race car, we customize out load out before each stage to fit exactly that stage, and we game targets making sure to not put more time int o them than they are worth. It is 100% about the game, about shooting a stage as fast and efficient as possible while not getting DQ'ed.

With this release saying to expect slings on both long guns maybe 3gn is headed in a different direction for the regionals

And to not require slings on stages simply because some shooters aren't capably of managing their gear safely is playing towards the lowest denominator. Fix the shooter, or get rid of them. But don't dumb down the practical nature of the sport.

Some of us see your view of 3GN as the problem.

Others see it as a good thing.

Somewhere between the two is probably what they are working towards.

I know, I'm aware that's a popular opinion on this forum.

I enjoy both for what they are. i just dont want to see 3gn try to mix practical (aka slings) with fast hoser style stages, sounds not fun and dangerous to me.

Stages that require one to waddle across terrain looking like some World War I steampunk exoskeleton tank killer are not my favorite and I have always questioned the practicality of such stages (not to mention the practicality of those who think slung guns suchly are somehow "practical" rather than "game-y").

I haven't used a rifle or shotgun sling for anything except a carry strap for probably 15 years now at matches...

....now find me a stage where it might be advantageous to use a sling as intended (as a shooting aid) instead of a cargo strap, and I'd be all ears.

ericm

....and I strongly object to the match thinking that a "technique" of strapping multiple guns here and there all over the body, retrieving them, using them and ultimately abandoning them....

.....is, somehow, a skill to be tested in practical shooting competition.

ericm

Has anyone ever prohibited you from using your sling as a shooting aid? I'm sure you shot some stages that require 400 to 500 yards shots. So, if not prohibited, it would seem that using a sling as a shooting aid in a time critical event is not advantageous if you haven't chosen to take advantage of it.

Defining what is "practical" in shooting sports is a huge can of worms. However, regarding slung rifles or shotguns, I guess you could always leave yours at the start position and retrieve it from there when you are required to use it. May take a few seconds, but you wouldn't be burdened with strapping it on or testing a skill you don't perceive as valuable in a "practical" shooting competition. BTW, abandonment is used as a technique to enhance the perceived safety of matches as a general rule, not as a life lesson.

And to address the original question, take a look at videos, like those posted, of matches that require sling use and you will see several adequate techniques

Just some thoughts,

Andy

I can't imagine that the slung rifle will be loaded in any way. I've not been to a match yet that required slings for a stage or 2 where the rifle was in any condition other than TOTALLY empty.

That being said, the sling does introduce another level of complexity not regularly experienced in the 3-gun world. Yes, they're a PITA where 3-gun is concerned, but it's like everything else in this sport. Practice, practice, practice.

I carried a slung rifle, slung breach shotgun and holstered pistol for 3.5 years of my life nearly everyday 12-24 hours a day while wearing 60#s of shit running uphill both ways in 12' of snow and never had a problem ;) kidding about the snow and hills though i wished for snow ;)