Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brake/suppressor help

A5H556

Hey guys, hoping for some help/experience sharing here before I blaze a trail:

I've just built a new upper that I plan to use for 3gun and also as what the "tactical" world calls a "recce" rifle (basically a carbine with a magnified optic that can be used up close or out to maybe 600 or so yards with moderate precision). The upper is a BCM 14.5" mid-gas BFH barrel with a BCM KMR 13 handguard; very similar to the one TTI shows below. Anyway, where I'm struggling is with the brake. I have an AAC suppressor that I'd like to be able to use on this rifle when not shooting 3gun to make it quieter/more pleasant to shoot. However, I don't want to give up anything when it comes to speed for 3gun. Our local matches are all 100yds or less and so speed is important in being competitive. The obvious answer seems to be to run the AAC brake, right, but I'm not convinced. I had an M&P10 .308 AR and changed from a JP Cooley to the AAC when I got my can and was disappointed at the noticeable difference in recoil and muzzle movement. I realize this is a .223, but I would expect similar results. I heard good things about the AAC Brakeout 2.0 so I bought one and tried it Friday night against my SJC Titan. I fired 5 shot groups as fast as I could pull the trigger (under 1 sec from low ready) at 5.5" B-8 targets and while the AAC Brakeout 2.0 showed noticeable up and right stringing, the Titan kept everything well inside the black center.

I know the guys @ SJC and talked to them about making a hybrid Titan/AAC 51-T type device. However, in order to fit inside the suppressor, it will have to be both shorter and smaller ID than the Titan. I'm wondering if by the time we do that, it will only work as well as the AAC and I'd be better off just doing that from the get-go rather than investing the time and money to make a custom brake/suppressor mount.'

Sorry for the long post, but not sure how else to communicate the question. Thanks for any/all feedback.

ETA: Oh, forgot to mention: The reason I'm stressing the decision so much is that because it's a 14.5" barrel, the final result/decision will need to be pinned/welded. I'm currently running the upper on my SBR lower while I test/decide, but want to put it back on a non-NFA lower once pinned/welded.

10397192_809371805748225_516925565510709

You make mention of the JP brake and its' effectiveness.

The surefire MB556K or SOCOM brakes are of similar effectiveness to the JP, but also serve as suppressor adapters.

So, either get the Surefire brake and can, or you will have to get a custom brake made...

Mick

If you're going to pin and weld, make sure whatever brake you use will let you clean carbon off the crown, otw your accuracy will suffer.

Can you expound on this please? Or give an example of one that does let you clean the muzzle with the device mounted?

Do you plan on using the can at 3 gun matches and if so have you done the same speed test with the can installed on the rifle? On the above question carbon build up at the crown can affect accuracy because the crown is not the same shape all the way around so gas escaping behind the bullet is uneven. Whether you have a adapter or comp pinned on you still will have to keep the crown clean.

Doug

Do you plan on using the can at 3 gun matches and if so have you done the same speed test with the can installed on the rifle? On the above question carbon build up at the crown can affect accuracy because the crown is not the same shape all the way around so gas escaping behind the bullet is uneven. Whether you have a adapter or comp pinned on you still will have to keep the crown clean.

Doug

I do not plan to use the can at matches. How do you clean the crown with a comp up against it? I assume it's more involved than just brushing the bore, right?

If you want to have the possibility of running a can you will have to use a AAC mount, its that simple. I suspect, but don't know, that a AAC comp will be moderately to highly effective. It has two baffles but has no jets or ports on top. you will likely never shoot enough to wear out your can but the comp will take some of the abuse that your can would otherwise absorb. I highly suggest that you put an adjustable gas block on before you pin and weld the comp and make sure that its 16.1 OAL when assembled.

Doug

I do not plan to use the can at matches. How do you clean the crown with a comp up against it? I assume it's more involved than just brushing the bore, right?

I normally pull off my comp to clean the crown, but my guns are all 16" or longer. Last time I pulled the comp the carbon from the muzzle came off with the comp, so it cleaned itself! Must be a way to do it, I just never had to learn how.

Doug

Doug

What they said above.... I use my YHM can in most matches, little muzzle rise with an H2 buffer, no concussion, hearing safe and it's just plain fun to shoot. After about 1000 rounds I pulled the mount to replace the handguard and noticed a tremendous amount of carbon on the crown. If the mount is pinned, you'll have a heck of a time cleaning it.

If you're going to pin and weld, make sure whatever brake you use will let you clean carbon off the crown, otw your accuracy will suffer.

Can you expound on this please? Or give an example of one that does let you clean the muzzle with the device mounted?
There are comps that have side port or baffle designs which allow you to reach the crown with a q-tip. Usually, some foaming bore cleaner or soaking in Hoppe's softens the carbon enough to be cleaned off with said q-tip.

Challenge would be to find such a comp design which a suppressor could also be mounted to.

Sadly, you will have to make a compromise with brake effectiveness due to wanting to run a can when not at matches. The AAC (assuming a 51t mount) mounts are not terrible at being a brake, just not as good as others. AAC can's don't have a replaceable mount, so you are really stuck with only three choices for mounts. You mentioned the brakeout 2.0. Was this their hybrid flash/brake? If it is, your last hope may be the "Blackout" brake:
http://www.advanced-armament.com/Blackout-51T-Muzzle-Brake_p_497.html

They make it for both the 51t and 90t mounts (didn't specify which can you are running).

As you mentioned before, the issue with a mount/brake is the fact it must fit inside of the can, therefore reducing the effectiveness of the brake design (in general).

The other option is the less quiet option, and deciding to dedicate the upper to competition only, and leave the can on another upper. Then you have the freedom to do as you please. The final option, and possibly the same cost (as a high end upper with sights and all) is another suppressor. As others have mentioned, Surefire brakes are fairly efficient. I would also argue my new Saker brake is about as effecient as the Surefire brake. Both mount to their respective suppressors, but are another $1100 or more and a four month wait.

A little update: I talked with John of SJC Customs on Friday night and he's working with me to develop a 51-tooth Titan! I'll get pics up as soon as it's done. John is excited about the project and so am I. If all goes well, then there should be "production" versions available following shortly. Imagine that, the best of both worlds: best comp on the market with the ability to mount your suppressor as well. In the meantime, here's the rifle I'll be using the mount on. For now, it's just sporting a regular Titan un-pinned on a 14.5" barrel sitting on a registered SBR lower.

88DBA05F-B821-45C0-A858-E7A849F9490B.jpg

I'm using the SilencerCo Specwar brakes on my rifles. I like them so much that I don't ever use my can on my 3 gun rifle, but the brake stays on anyway.

It's an awesome brake that just so happens to be able to mount a can.