Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small vs Large 45acp Primers

opensol

I noticed a small decrease in velocity with the small primers in 45acp. Good advice to double check with chrono before you load 1000s...

Or before you go to a match and go minor...or go to a match planning to shoot minor, and find that they don't reliably cycle your gun. i.e. some will say they're interchangeable. I'm not one of them. Though, I had the latter of those things happen just switching brands of LPP with ammo I knew was minor to start with. I just didn't know it was right on the edge of being able to function the slide.

I use SRPs and didn't notice any change in gun operation or velocity (yes, with chrono) but that might not be true with SPPs.

As mentioned several times above, be sure to check before going off to a match or loading a large quantity.

ZZT, correct me I am wrong, but don't the Winchester large pistol primers say for standard AND magnum loads? My velocity increased 30 fps with Winchesters large pistol primers, I never had any small, but they may be for standard loads only, adding to the difference in velocity ???????

The Federal and CCI SPP and SPM didn't have any significant increase/decrease in velocity for me. I loaded both up for 9Major loads but no changes except for minor variations. I can see differences in velocities between large and small primers but in most loads, you won't notice much difference in standard and magnum primers.

jstagn, that may be the case. I don't know. It may also be powder related I do know that the WLP is universally faster than the CCI 300. The degree varies with the powder. It's much wider with N310 than S 1000, for instance.

Interestingly, with my Clay Dot load the CCI 300 is slower than the CCI 550 (Magnum) by 27fps. I didn't try the CCI 500.