Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 cal for 3 Gun?

I shoot a .40S&W STI Edge. I run it major power factor for USPSA; for 3-Gun, I usually swap springs and run it at minor PF, but have the option of shooting full power if I am looking at spinners or other troublesome steel targets.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ran 40 for a while, did a comparison w my bro in law. He ran a sig 226 9mm,w 155 gr rounds, i ran a 226 in 165 gr 40,...I did better running the 9 in speed and target acquisition. He agreed, did thesame and felt the same. I like the 40 power, but i don't want to spend time screwing w loads to get 9 mm type recoil and consistency out of a 40.

Factory ammo for a 9 has been less, so I decided not to fix my stuff till it was broke. Today I run 9mm for 3 gun,everything else is 40 for work.

HTH

For what it is worth, it takes me about 30 seconds to switch from major to minor PF. I have two Dawson toolless guide rods for my STI Edge, with different springs. I take down the slide, swap rods, and reassemble. I run Atlanta Arms remanufactured 180gr .40S&W at 1.180 OAL, which they sell in both major PF (chronos at 169–170 at matches) and minor PF (which I have not chrono'ed). The minor 180gr is pretty much like shooting 147gr 9mm.

I started out in USPSA with an XDm 4.5 in .40 shooting Production. Gravitated to loading .40 minor because why not, then gravitated into 3 gun, then Limited Minor. I like my pistol, it runs, and has been plenty versatile for me. Basically I took the advice I got on Enos from day one, run what you have.

I know I am the oddball but I prefer my .40 downloaded to about 140 or so with a 180. Stupid soft, steel falls, I use the same projectiles for both USPSA and 3G. I get 21 reloadable so an extra reload every once in a while doesn't carry more weight than what I perceive as the benefits.

Call me crazy.

Not crazy...i do the exact same thing. I download with lighter spring but adjusted load to run action like i want....it's around pf140 or so....it is easy to control when your using to shooting Major in IPSC.

Can't speak for all matches, but most matches I've shot in the last couple years "Heavy Metal" allowed auto, I run a Versamax. Typically same rules as Tactical, 8, or 8+1 to start, after the buzzer can load her up. If the match calls it "He-Man" typically that is 12 ga pump, 8 round max, and single stack, often .45 only. I'll probably be taken to task for mistakes or oversimplifying here, but that's what I've seen lately.

As to the .40, some matches limit you to 10 rounds in the mag (common to use high caps, just count when you're liading them) but many allow as many as you can stuff into a 140.

Heavy Metal/ He-man is a ton-o-fun, especially seeing the reactive rifle targets dance! No question on the hits with flashers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those of you shooting 9mm are you using 124 or 147? I switched to 9mm just because I get more bullets for the $$$$$.

I use 147s, partially because I like the recoil better at the same PF, and partly because I like making the steel go down.

Join us in USPSA Heavy Metal. The Optics division uses a .308 rifle, 12-ga, and .40+ Limited-10 pistol.

What are the limitations on the shotgun type? Pump only?

For the Optics division that allows a .40 Limited-10 pistol, the shotgun can be a semi-auto, tube-fed.

Only the Heavy Metal Limited (my division) requires the shotgun to be a pump-action, but then you'd have to have a .44+ Revolver or Limited-10 pistol.

These are the USPSA Multigun rules. I'm not up to speed on other sanctioning bodies yet; though I will be doing the He-Man Nationals in New Mexico this Spring, and the biggest difference is that I am allowed to put a 1x optic on my rifle. I haven't decided if I'm going to do it yet, though.

Edited by MAC702

For you guys running 40 minor with 180s. What recoil spring weight do you use. I recently loaded a few with 3.2 grs Titegroup and my 12.5 # spring was too much. I was thinking of trying a 10#. Thanks

I think 10# would be way too light. I would try 11# and 12#. For me, I started with an 11# Wolff, went to 12#,then ended up with a 12.5# ISMI. The guide rod makes a difference, too. The RecoilMaster that came in my Dawson STI seemed to like a lighter spring than the Dawson toolless I switched to.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm always the odd-ball but I still run my G24 .40cal. I started with 40 & just like you OP, I had all the gear, mags & reloading material & I didn't want to buy all new 9mm stuff. I rarely see a stage where being a couple rounds shy of the 9mm guys hurts me and shooting an almost major load with 180's, I never have a problem with the steel failing to fail.

Run 40 minor here for 3 gun as I have the limited guns that I run and see no reason to change or buy a new gun for 3 extra rounds in the mag. If needed a reload can be done somewhere. Just not worth the expense to me to try and justify buying a dedicated 3 gun 9mm when there isn't any real difference

+1. I only run major PF in my 40's and 45's. Too complicated changing loads.

+ 2

But to be fair it doesn't matter what your power factor is when your name is steve ting... :ph34r:

And here I thought you were a nice guy! :sight::devil:

If your going to play THAT game go with 155's, 10# spring, and a big smile. Don't count on heavy steel going down. Gave them a try and came to the conclusion that its great for burning a hole in cardboard but heavy steel and spinners your better off with 180's. The 155's are good for steel challenge or maybe a pro-am steel game with light steel. Its like shooting a 9mm.

I have been running a 165 coated bullet from Black Bullets International with 4.3 grains of WST on a 9lb. variable recoil spring. That combo has been great. The .40 is awesome when your buddies at the match hammer targets w loaded down 9mm and the poppers sit there and laugh at them!