Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA racer pouches, bullets out or bullets forward?

Superpipe9

I prefer bullets forward, because that is what I'm used to, and it is comfortable. Bullets out feels unnatural and you have to pull straight up. That being said, if I shot Production or SS I think I'd learn to like bullets out. It is more space efficient.

Bullets out. Always have. Before the Racers i had pouches from a company called SpeedSec. They are no longer available ( no matter, the Racers are better ).

Anyway, if you haven't tried bullets out on the Racers yet, you will find out that you will need to make a small modification. The screw head that holds the pouch to the bracket will get in the way of the tension knob. The only fix, if you can't find the proper screw at your local hardware store with a smaller head, is actually quite simple. Take the screw, chuck it up in a drill. Run the screw head over a flat file and reduce the radius. Should only take you a couple of minutes.

If you need more info than that, just let me know.

You can fit the magazines closer together with bullets out, thus less movement to get the rear ones for Production. Your hand is also naturally aligned with your index finger on bullets out, no need to twist your wrist.

Its all still preference.

Why do you guys prefer the bullets out method?

Do a test, pull a mag out of the pouch bullets out vs bullets forward. Do it in super duper slo motion. Keep your forearm and elbow rigid and watch how much your hand/wrist needs to turn into order to get the mag aligned to the magwell using bullets forward.

Then watch how little your hand turns when you come from the bullets out method.

A lot of people don't like it. They've been doing bullets forward for so many years that it is really awkward for them to change. I started doing bullets out shortly after i started shooting, so the motion had not been ingrained in my head for years. It was an easy switch to make.

I was shooting production until recently. And like others have said, bullets out takes up slightly less real estate on the belt. I've made the move to Limited, but still doing bullets out because that's what i know.

CZinSC, not arguing, but the additional motions required in the arm, elbow and shoulder to extract a bullets out mag seem to outweigh any potential benefits from minimized wrist movement, especially for limited with mags in front.

ZZt, true. But you're assuming mags in front. I've left mine on the side. Again, partly because i shot production so long my arm natually goes there on a reload, so instead of trying to break that motion, i just left them there. Plus, on the off chance of a prone stage, no need to worry if they mags get moved when you're on your chest/stomach.

FL open last weekend, they had a bed stage, start position was chest flat on the bed. I heard a few people had yard sales of mags when they got up because they got bumped while laying prone.

Granted, this doesn't happen often.

It really comes down to personal preference. I would never tell a guy doing bullets forward he was wrong, and if someone told me bullets out was wrong I'd laugh in his face. Like a lot of other things with shooting, try both ways yourself. Take the info you read on the interwebs, like you've seen above, and use it to shorten your learning curve. Someone else has already invented the wheel, see what they say and determine if it applies to you.

Good luck to the OP.

If you're shooting bullets out, it means you're grabbing the mag either at the top or middle. You then still need to either move your hand off it, or slide it down to the bottom, to fully insert a mag, especially in production or single stack. How is that less movement than bullets foward and just rotating your wrist?

I went bullets out all last season and kept fumbling mag changes so i switched to bullets forward this season.

I'm still not sure if that's going to fix my mag changes. I have been dry firing a lot and they seem to get a lot smoother.

Try it both ways and see what feels more natural.

CZinSC, I tried bullets out this afternoon and didn't like it a bit. Then on a whim I rotated the pouches backward so the mags were angled back. That was much more comfortable and considerably quicker than straight up. Yes, you are initially pulling back and then reversing direction, but the mag comes forward in the perfect position to insert. It's all shoulder movement. However, It is still slower, for me, than bullets forward.

ZZt, true. But you're assuming mags in front. I've left mine on the side. Again, partly because i shot production so long my arm natually goes there on a reload, so instead of trying to break that motion, i just left them there. Plus, on the off chance of a prone stage, no need to worry if they mags get moved when you're on your chest/stomach.

FL open last weekend, they had a bed stage, start position was chest flat on the bed. I heard a few people had yard sales of mags when they got up because they got bumped while laying prone.

It really comes down to personal preference. I would never tell a guy doing bullets forward he was wrong, and if someone told me bullets out was wrong I'd laugh in his face. Like a lot of other things with shooting, try both ways yourself. Take the info you read on the interwebs, like you've seen above, and use it to shorten your learning curve. Someone else has already invented the wheel, see what they say and determine if it applies to you.

Good luck to the OP.

bullets out is wrong.

Good luck to the OP.

bullets out is wrong.

To Do List:

1- Punch Shady right in the throat at the next match.

Good luck to the OP.

bullets out is wrong.
To Do List:

1- Punch Shady right in the throat at the next match.

:roflol:

I shoot bullets out and have since Bianchi came out with it in the 90s.Bullets out my finger is out the same way it goes up the front strap. Bullets forward you have to twist your wrist 90 degrees to align with the mag well. I shoot bullets forward on my single stack rig and on my Glock set up. I can go back and forth no problem.

Any 80s 90s guys lurking might remember Tom "Tommy Gun" Cambell, he shot bullets UP. Was a reload to see for sure!