Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock II not closing from locked back position as full mag is inserted

sclagg

The slide won't go forward at all when you run dry?

Could you explain with a little more detail the problem you are having? And also tell us the caliber of the gun, what ammo you are shooting, and I'd you've changed anything on the gun.

Edited by Nealio

yeah I think he means the slide automatically closing when inserting a fresh mag. usually the mag bumping the slide stop lever is enough to let it drop and the slide close. my shadow does it 100% reliably. It may need a little tuning of the slide stop to make it happen reliably on your stock II.

Most of my Tanfos I can make the slide go forward if I run dry if I insert a new mag with a little force which I am trying to do anyways at matches, slam the mag in as fast as I can. I don't rely solely on that method but usually works fine and it'll strip a fresh round and off to shooting unicorn targets, lol

Well I came here to learn. :surprise: I had no idea any of them would do that. I have half a dozen semi-autos and none of them will do that. I know my Witness P-S doesn't for sure. It'll be interesting to see what Sclagg finds out.

My glock 34 did it every time but my XDM does it sometimes and sometimes not.

The mags will not activate the slide stop to allow the slide stop to go forward after it locks back (last round gig). We have to push the slide stop manually.

All of my CZ's (shadows) / Glock's will. From the posts so far I'm still leaning toward trying a new slide stop and maybe another mag?

It may seem like a small thing.. but I have a 16 year old jr shooter moving fairly quickly through stages and this would be one less thing.

Thanks guys for your help!

What I do with mine when I get a new gun, is make sure it goes to slidelock a few times during the first range session or two, and then you will be able to see on the slide stop, the pattern of wear that is developing (where the slide contacts it at slidelock). I then accelerate this wear with some 600 grit sandpaper. I wouldn't even call it filing, just polishing. One to two range sessions later it is dropping 99% on mag insertion. If it is dirty it doesn't work quite as well, but just make sure it is clean before a match and it goes 100%. I'm a lefty, so I find this action an especially valuable trait.

Seth, Chuck and Nick are spot on. The CZ's, especially if you've sent them for a trigger job, usually come back with the slide stop ground down a little. That is what causes the slide to automatically drop. My Stock 2 didn't do it 100% of the time. My SP01 did.

Take some material off the slide stop like Nick and Chuck said and you should be GTG.