Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady AP Press 095100

I have to get a Hornady progressive press part# 095100 (wanted Dillon but have gift cert for a place that does not carry Dillon)I have a couple of questions for you AP guy's;

I have just ordered the AP press #095100. Is there a strong mount available for it?

Will the AP press mount in the same holes that I mount the Pacific single stage press 00-7?

Is there a bullet feeder that is a tube only?(die + tube w/o hopper)? I want to manually load a tube with bullets and not use a hopper..is that possible?

any advice on extras that I should get or about anything would be great! thanks Cmax

Check out inline fabrication for AP accesories. I highly reccomend the standard ergo roller handle. There mounts look very well made but my press is mounted to my bench. Also Hornady just came out with pistol bullet feeder tubes so you don't need the whole bullet feeder assembly. It is in their 2015 catalog. Also Bill Morgan is yhe name of a youtube channel that has some pretty in depth material on the LNL AP. He gets long winded at times but he also gives some very good information for troubleshooting issues.

Check out inline fabrication for AP accesories. I highly reccomend the standard ergo roller handle. There mounts look very well made but my press is mounted to my bench. Also Hornady just came out with pistol bullet feeder tubes so you don't need the whole bullet feeder assembly. It is in their 2015 catalog. Also Bill Morgan is yhe name of a youtube channel that has some pretty in depth material on the LNL AP. He gets long winded at times but he also gives some very good information for troubleshooting issues.

+1 on the Inline Fab stuff! I have the roller handle and the enhanced base plate that holds two bins - one to catch loaded ammo and one to hold bulltes. A real improvment in productivity.

I've tried the full up hornady bullet feeder. Bottom line I did not experence a net increase in productivity and I question the potetnial for real productivity gains using the die and feeder tubes.

I'll add that if you looking for productivity gains look for a primmer tube filler. I have a PAL Filler (kind of pricy) but the new Hornady looks one looks good. FA has a cheaper one that has gotten mixed reviews and Dillion has a fully automated one but its much more expensive.

I have to get a Hornady progressive press part# 095100 (wanted Dillon but have gift cert for a place that does not carry Dillon)I have a couple of questions for you AP guy's;
I have just ordered the AP press #095100. Is there a strong mount available for it?
Will the AP press mount in the same holes that I mount the Pacific single stage press 00-7?
Is there a bullet feeder that is a tube only?(die + tube w/o hopper)? I want to manually load a tube with bullets and not use a hopper..is that possible?
any advice on extras that I should get or about anything would be great! thanks Cmax

You've probably confused more people here (and on arfcom, identical post) by giving the part # - it's not like there are multiple variants - LnL AP (the one you're talking about) or the LnL AP Ammo Plant (case/bullet feeder) is pretty much it.

Strong mount from Inline Fabrication - you have a few different heights to choose from, as well as with a single press specific top plate, or 'quick change' top plates to use multiple presses on one base.

The quick-change plate setup will likely work - ask the owner Dan if he can sell you a 'blank' quick-change plate, plus the one for the LnL AP, then you can drill the blank for your Pacific press.

Get the Hornady bullet feeder die for the relevant caliper, then buy some clear tubing (I think someone gave OD/ID measurements on your arfcom post) - done.

Extras - a couple of shell plate/case holder springs, and buy 6 packs for Hornady lock-rings (best out there I've found, bar none), and 10 packs of the quick-change bushings, assuming loading for multiple calibers - Hornady includes 5 bushings with the press, so you're good for at least the first caliber. I think I also got a few spare case springs with the press as well. Maybe add a spare primer shuttle spring, as well.

Depending on calibers to be loaded, and variety of powders, I really like the powder measure micrometer inserts, and I picked up a second powder measure - one for pistol, one for rifle.

The rest is really just down to one-time setup.

Clean the powder measure and parts from the factory 'cosmoline' well. Spray w/degreaser, then soak and agitate in Dawn + water in the sink, rinse, repeat, rinse, let dry, then manually cycle a few # of powder through it back into a powder jug, and should be ready to go there.

Use some fine sandpaper on a glass surface and run the primer slide across it to ensure no burrs exist, then smooth out the primer shuttle 'edge' (rounded part) a bit, and if you'd like, cut a slight 'undercut' or downward bevel on the lower half of the front rounded edge, so it'll be less likely to jam with a few errant grains of powder.

Remove the 'blast tube' and internal primer tube from the press, so the shuttle is in place, and only the part the blast tube screws into. Push handle all the way down, and adjust the top of the primer cam wire so the primer shuttle primer pickup hole is very slightly just past 100% centered, to be a hair more rearwards. Tighten down and you won't need to adjust it again for a long time. A dab of grease under the shell plate, grease gun the zerk fittings, and dry lube or graphite on the primer slide, and you're pretty much good to go.

You've probably confused more people here (and on arfcom, identical post) by giving the part # - it's not like there are multiple variants - LnL AP (the one you're talking about) or the LnL AP Ammo Plant (case/bullet feeder) is pretty much it.

Strong mount from Inline Fabrication - you have a few different heights to choose from, as well as with a single press specific top plate, or 'quick change' top plates to use multiple presses on one base.

The quick-change plate setup will likely work - ask the owner Dan if he can sell you a 'blank' quick-change plate, plus the one for the LnL AP, then you can drill the blank for your Pacific press.

Get the Hornady bullet feeder die for the relevant caliper, then buy some clear tubing (I think someone gave OD/ID measurements on your arfcom post) - done.

Extras - a couple of shell plate/case holder springs, and buy 6 packs for Hornady lock-rings (best out there I've found, bar none), and 10 packs of the quick-change bushings, assuming loading for multiple calibers - Hornady includes 5 bushings with the press, so you're good for at least the first caliber. I think I also got a few spare case springs with the press as well. Maybe add a spare primer shuttle spring, as well.

Depending on calibers to be loaded, and variety of powders, I really like the powder measure micrometer inserts, and I picked up a second powder measure - one for pistol, one for rifle.

Clean the powder measure and parts from the factory 'cosmoline' well. Spray w/degreaser, then soak and agitate in Dawn + water in the sink, rinse, repeat, rinse, let dry, then manually cycle a few # of powder through it back into a powder jug, and should be ready to go there.

Use some fine sandpaper on a glass surface and run the primer slide across it to ensure no burrs exist, then smooth out the primer shuttle 'edge' (rounded part) a bit, and if you'd like, cut a slight 'undercut' or downward bevel on the lower half of the front rounded edge, so it'll be less likely to jam with a few errant grains of powder.

Remove the 'blast tube' and internal primer tube from the press, so the shuttle is in place, and only the part the blast tube screws into. Push handle all the way down, and adjust the top of the primer cam wire so the primer shuttle primer pickup hole is very slightly just past 100% centered, to be a hair more rearwards. Tighten down and you won't need to adjust it again for a long time. A dab of grease under the shell plate, grease gun the zerk fittings, and dry lube or graphite on the primer slide, and you're pretty much good to go.

Wow, thanks for your advice. I always posts my questions on several sites as I take no one piece of information I get. If i get several similar answers then I usually have good data. I always reference part numbers to be more exact. this has saved me some mistakes in ordering in the past.

I have had a LNL AP for 6 years. Recently bought a Dillon 1050. Recommend the Dillion in any model.

LNL AP plagued with parts replacements. Soft metal on case feeder pivot head. Constant adjustments to get it to run for 200 rounds. Use gift certificate for reloading components and accessories. Strongly recommend buying a Dillon in a model to match your needs.

I've got 2 LNL AP's, and the above is very good advice to get them running well. You might also want to chamfer / bevel the primer hole in the shuttle (use a drill bit turned gently by hand). With these mods the priming system is super reliable.

As for a bullet feeder, my opinion is that it only offers significant productivity improvements if you partner it with a motor drive.

This. If you ever want to switch between calibers, powders or major/minor the micrometer makes it easy to get to the exact measure you need. Beats buying separate powder measures or having to get the scale out and dial in to your charge every time.

I have had a LNL AP for 6 years. Recently bought a Dillon 1050. Recommend the Dillion in any model.

LNL AP plagued with parts replacements. Soft metal on case feeder pivot head. Constant adjustments to get it to run for 200 rounds. Use gift certificate for reloading components and accessories. Strongly recommend buying a Dillon in a model to match your needs.

Did you buy one of each Dillon then, to vouch for all of them?

Very happy your $1700 press with what, $300 caliber conversions, runs better for you than the $400-ish LnL AP, but maybe you can contribute something?

What specific problems did you have?

Was this an ez-ject model or pre-ez-ject? Old or recent case feeder model? etc. etc.

?

I definitely believe Hornady's QA could be stepped up a notch, but there are more than a 'few' with a handful of 'set once and forget' good experiences with the LnL AP, so I'd like to understand why/how/where your experience was different?

The latest Hornady case feeder ('silent update' more or less, from what I can tell) isn't perfect, but it's pretty decent, while most of the rest of the issues have been 'do once and forget' types of changes, at least for me..

?

Couldn't live without the micrometer powder insert. Inline fab is a good company for sure.

Only other item to mention is clealiness. I keep a can of air around to get rid of any shavings or powder that shows up. I will pull the primer shuttle back and spray well there. Issues with binding have been my biggest problem...

• 2 weeks later...

I have a LNL. I guess I've had it about 6-7 years. It was the older ejector spring model and I upgraded to the EZ-ject. I've had to adjust the pawls, ONE TIME. Had to adjust primer feed, ONE TIME. Early case feeder was a little more problematic. I fiddled with that about 1/2 day before I got it feeding properly. Part of the problem was really crummy instructions. I DID have a little trouble with the ejector spring until I polished the spring and the cartridge cut-outs on the shell plates. I did that with a felt-tip bullet point and polishing compound and a Dremel tool. Took all of about 30 minutes. After that, I didn't have any ejection problems. I did upgrade to the EZ-ject just because I wanted to be up to date. Once I got the LNL adjusted, it has worked perfectly ever since. Since then I've loaded 40,000+ rounds of 9mm, 40S&W, 357mag, 44mag and, 45acp with couple hundred rounds of 223 thrown in. I have never had the problems that I have heard other people complain, i.e., timing and primer feed. The ONLY PARTS I have had to replace was the case retainer spring around the shell plate. I do have a few extra springs as extras.

I ALSO, own a Dillon Square Deal and a 550.

I must have been lucky with my LNL. After I got it adjusted, it just goes-and-goes. I loaded 1000 rounds of 9mm last Friday and did not have a single glitch. EXCEPT, with crimped primer pockets on a few surplus WCC cases. And, that's not the presses fault. I honestly prefer the operation of the LNL over Dillon. I rarely use my other Dillon presses. I don't think I've loaded a single round on my 550 since I got my LNL. I prefer the auto-advance by a WIDE margin. I have also, used a friends Dillon 650. It's a nice setup but I detested the primer system.

You really can't go wrong with either system. They are both outstanding machines. God Bless Capitalism for giving us the choice!

... but there are more than a 'few' with a handful of 'set once and forget' good experiences with the LnL AP, so I'd like to understand why/how/where your experience was different?

Aye! I have owned and/or used more than a few presses over the years and if aliens steal the LNL AP, I would replace it with the same... Not a Dillon.

OP - Get what makes you happy and please don't care what any of us think. Dillon makes good stuff but if you have gift certificates, the Hornady is a helluva machine. You are not "settling".

Since you asked, just dropping the bullets into the bullet feed die is faster, the tubes (DIY or Hornady) more so - IMO. I have but would likely skip the case feeder, no matter the color of the press. I cant stand the noise and feeding a case is no biggie. The Inline mounts do come in different heights, so mind the spent primer tube length when you order (can't help - mine is on a bench). No idea if the Pacific and Hornady hole patterns match. The light strip kits are good but I bought the Hornady one before I knew of the Inline - for half the price, I would buy the Hornady again - there is also the DIY option, all the parts are cheap and on Amazon, elsewhere. This applies to any press: know how it works, understand how it works, keep it clean, check that what needs to be tight is tight, what needs to be loose is loose, and what needs to be lubed is lubed.

Isn't it cute how the Dillon folks like to come into the "Non-Dillon Reloading Equipment" forum and spill their kool-aid...

Isn't it cute how the Dillon folks like to come into the "Non-Dillon Reloading Equipment" forum and spill their kool-aid...

In support of Dillon owners. It isn't nearly as contentious as it used to be. Five years ago, if you mentioned you owned a LNL and LIKED IT, the Blue Folks came out swinging! We were called names, accused of being a liars, made fun of, harassed, and occasionally threatened. We were accused of disrupting the Space-Time-Continum and threatening the female family members of Dillon owners. I always suspected that more than a few Blue Folks had never touched or even seen a Red LNL, let alone USED one.

Most of that has changed. Whenever a thread like this one pops up and owners of BOTH machines chime in, the rhetoric is toned down from what it once was. I would imagine that FINALLY enough LNL owners are out there that like their presses that the Blue Folks are finally conceding that there is another company in the world besides Dillon.

As I said earlier, I own two Dillon presses and several of their accessories. And, contrary to to what some may believe, whenever I loaded on my Dillon's, I never heard Angels Singing and I was never able to stand on water. All sarcastic humor aside, Dillon, Hornady and, RCBS can live in harmony. In fact RCBS has a new AP press out that looks very intriguing. Haven't seen one though.

Be well and keep your powder dry! :cheers:

In support of Dillon owners. It isn't nearly as contentious as it used to be. Five years ago, if you mentioned you owned a LNL and LIKED IT, the Blue Folks came out swinging! We were called names, accused of being a liars, made fun of, harassed, and occasionally threatened. We were accused of disrupting the Space-Time-Continum and threatening the female family members of Dillon owners. I always suspected that more than a few Blue Folks had never touched or even seen a Red LNL, let alone USED one.

Most of that has changed. Whenever a thread like this one pops up and owners of BOTH machines chime in, the rhetoric is toned down from what it once was. I would imagine that FINALLY enough LNL owners are out there that like their presses that the Blue Folks are finally conceding that there is another company in the world besides Dillon.

As I said earlier, I own two Dillon presses and several of their accessories. And, contrary to to what some may believe, whenever I loaded on my Dillon's, I never heard Angels Singing and I was never able to stand on water. All sarcastic humor aside, Dillon, Hornady and, RCBS can live in harmony. In fact RCBS has a new AP press out that looks very intriguing. Haven't seen one though.

Be well and keep your powder dry! :cheers:

Perfect. :roflol::roflol::cheers::cheers:

• 5 weeks later...

I use an inline fab mount and roller handle as well, both are great. I got plenty of extra bushings for my other dies so I just drop and change. I also got the micrometer for both pistol and rifle and have a separate powder measure for each.

There is a guy on ar15.com who has nice plans for die holders: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/396115_Hornady_LNL_AP_Die_Holder_Stand_Plans.html

• 2 weeks later...

I have a LNL, go t it over a month ago. I did have a little problem with the primer feeder tube not fitting down into the base. Hornady sent me a new tube and a new base, no problem.

Since I got it set up the only problem I have had is some primers will not seat flush. Then I noticed that all the cases that I have a problem with are Herters. (40 S&W by the way). From now on I am going to sort out the Herters and decap, ream the primer pocket then prime and load.

I am going to have to check out the inline products, I had not heard of them before. I was going to look into a light to mount on the press. I think Hornady offers one. Then I saw a you tube video and the guy had a cheap LED flashlight mounted on his by wrapping a wire around the top of the seating die and aiming the light into the press over the bullet load station. Since I had a light laying around I got a piece of scrap wire from the scrap bin at work and made my own mount. I had to get a pretty stiff wire. I would guess it's 10 gauge. It works ok but does look ugly, but function maters more than form in this case.

Still I think I'll check out inline for there accessories.

I have a LNL, go t it over a month ago. I did have a little problem with the primer feeder tube not fitting down into the base. Hornady sent me a new tube and a new base, no problem.

Since I got it set up the only problem I have had is some primers will not seat flush. Then I noticed that all the cases that I have a problem with are Herters. (40 S&W by the way). From now on I am going to sort out the Herters and decap, ream the primer pocket then prime and load.

I am going to have to check out the inline products, I had not heard of them before. I was going to look into a light to mount on the press. I think Hornady offers one. Then I saw a you tube video and the guy had a cheap LED flashlight mounted on his by wrapping a wire around the top of the seating die and aiming the light into the press over the bullet load station. Since I had a light laying around I got a piece of scrap wire from the scrap bin at work and made my own mount. I had to get a pretty stiff wire. I would guess it's 10 gauge. It works ok but does look ugly, but function maters more than form in this case.

Still I think I'll check out inline for there accessories.

The guy you saw with the light is Bill Morgan (YouTube Name) I suggest you watch his Hornady LNL press videos. He makes the press malfunction in every way possible and shows you why and what to do. I followed his advice and fully understand the press and how to set it up correctly. I have gotten to know him and he is a great guy. search bill morgan and look for the hornady videos ( he has over 500 videos). Thanks Cmax

My LnL AP is headed back to hornady. I just can't get the indexing 100% sorted out. I can get it almost good, but one statiiy on shell plate will act up and cause it it index off a bit causing priming issues. I was close to selling it and getting a Dillon 650, but I'll see how it is when I get it back and if its gtg I'll get a cse feeder setup and rock on. If not, I'll sell it and go blue. Hell, I had less problems getting my Lee load master running lol. Frustrating. That said, the hornady reps have been great to work with and I'm hopeful they will get the press sorted out