Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Convert 6 shot Mod 617 to 10 shot

mwx40x40

dont quote me on it, as if I'm not sure it's true or not.

I think I read somewhere that it would not work because the cylinder chambers and forcing cone would be offset by a little bit and not line up.

smarter people said yes, read below !

Edited by alecmc

The 10 shot cylinder will drop in with the usual endshake adjusting. The hand is different and is a straight swap. The ratchets will need to be fitted. S&W will do the swap but I guess it's a long wait. My 617-1 has a 10 shot cylinder fitted.

Just in case anyone is wondering, you can't make a 10 shot into a .22 rimfire magnum. The rims overlap so then you only have a 5 shot because you can only load every other chamber. I am not telling how I know that. A 6 shot is doable - there is a lot of space between chambers.

• 8 years later...
On 2/10/2015 at 6:27 PM, Tom E said:

The 10 shot cylinder will drop in with the usual endshake adjusting. The hand is different and is a straight swap. The ratchets will need to be fitted. S&W will do the swap but I guess it's a long wait. My 617-1 has a 10 shot cylinder fitted.

Ok, I am going to attempt this conversion. I just bought a 617 and did not know it was a 6-shot. I assumed it as a 10-shot since it was a newer model.

Besides buying a cylinder, and hand what else should I get?

Extractor, center pin, center pin spring, etc?

What is meant by "ratchets will need to be fitted"?

thanks!

N

7 hours ago, MuayThaiJJ said:

Ok, I am going to attempt this conversion. I just bought a 617 and did not know it was a 6-shot. I assumed it as a 10-shot since it was a newer model.

Besides buying a cylinder, and hand what else should I get?

Extractor, center pin, center pin spring, etc?

What is meant by "ratchets will need to be fitted"?

thanks!

N

N:

Basically 'ratchets need to be fitted' means a skilled and competent gunsmith who has done it many times in the past.

If I were you I would call TK Custom and see if they will fit it for you.  

GG

Try out the parts first. Sometimes they don't need to be fitted. If it doesn't work right, then see about getting help. I have since changed mine back to a 10 shot, trading back to the original parts. Ten shots are more fun than 6. Now I just need to figure out a 10 shot 627.

Toolguy, do a search here for "10 shot 32 H&R Magnum"

MuaiThai JJ, what others have said, you can do this conversion yourself but you may need barrel cutters and yoke trimmers (then again, maybe not!!)

When I did mine I had a 10 shot 617 to compare to, saw the different hand so I stoned down the orig 6 shot to work, cut the ratchets first and fitted the 6 shot hand to those, file, cut and stone till it all worked smooth and locked up well enough for me (this is not a bullseye gun)

Funny thing about this 617, sometime, I don't know when, the barrel got bulged !!

You can feel less resistance when you slide a bore brush down the barrel, it's about 2-2.5 inches from the muzzle (6" brl).

Gun still shoots fine !!  I can put 10 shots on a 6 in paper plate at 35 yrds.

This is my Open Rimfire gun for Steel Challenge.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I just installed it, it cycled the cylinder but didn't lock back for the hammer to fire. Upon close inspection I noticed the right wall of of each ratchet was flat and blocked the hand from completing its journey. I did some careful dremel work and took off a the edge at an angle, then did my best to even out the cut with files and sandpaper...

And it works! All 10 chambers cycle find in SA and DA. Now...time to play with this thing. I will show off some of the cool stuff I got from Dave Revo-Gear and Eli at TK!

thanks everyone for the tips!

N

On 5/12/2023 at 10:43 AM, 10mmdave said:

Funny thing about this 617, sometime, I don't know when, the barrel got bulged !!

You can feel less resistance when you slide a bore brush down the barrel, it's about 2-2.5 inches from the muzzle (6" brl).

Did it get bulged, or maybe the wide region was made during the rifling process?  If the barrel is bulged, I would expect there should be a bulge on the outside dimension of the barrel as well, which might be detectable with calipers? Maybe? 

35 minutes ago, superdude said:

Did it get bulged, or maybe the wide region was made during the rifling process?  If the barrel is bulged, I would expect there should be a bulge on the outside dimension of the barrel as well, which might be detectable with calipers? Maybe? 

I hear what your saying, I never did measure the OD of the barrel, to the eye it looks fine.

I know this happened a while after I've owned this revo since it "appeared" during a cleaning session,

I don't clean the bore of my 22's maybe as often as I should, maybe that added to it.

I have to find & post a pic of the barrel that does show bulging 😆

On 5/12/2023 at 8:43 AM, 10mmdave said:

Gun still shoots fine !!  I can put 10 shots on a 6 in paper plate at 35 yrds.

This is my Open Rimfire gun for Steel Challenge.

Maybe previous owner had a squib and then stacked a few in behind?? Your cleaning finally removed the crud in the large area?