Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Change my grip or change gun?

blairmckenzie1

I've been practicing with my new Cheely open gun for a few months now. I shot Glocks for awhile before switching to Open. I'm having a hard time adjusting to the new grip. The thumb safety is hitting the third knuckle on my index finger and the middle of my thumb drags on the slide sometimes. See the pictures if that doesn't make sense.

I also inadvertently kick the safety on sometime too.

My question is should I work on changing the way I grip the gun or start changing parts on the gun or reshape some stuff?

get out the dremel and get to work. remember, its open so do what you need to do to fit the gun properly. on my STI Steelmaster i removed 3/4 of the RHS safety and about 1/4 of the LHS until nothing was touching ...just go slow and check often ...

I agree with OPENB, in the pictures you posted ( where your thumb position is ) the safety appears to be causing the issue.

As was suggested, bring your thumb on top of the safety, since you said that you had inadvertently put the safety into the on position.

Or maybe we need a little bit more information as to what is causing this to happen.

I would guess his support hand is bumping the safety up and the mark on his strong hand is from the slide. We need you to hold the gun in both hands like you normally shoot and get someone to take a picture.

You should be riding the safety so that you don't knock it on. If your riding the slide after that. You might try running a shield

I do thats how I get the cut on my thumb

Your pic shows your thumb under the safety. That's not riding the safety. Edited by calvinc78

Difficult to understand because sometimes slide-bite happens further up on the thumb past the last knuckle and closer to the web of the hand, do to trying to grip as high as you can on the gun. Glocks have been known to bite a few people and that's usually where you see the mark.

Edited by gunnit

Add a thumb gaurd from brazos. It should shift your thumb outward a little and prevent the slide bite you are getting. It also allows for a good thumb ride without the hassle of your thumb dragggin on the slide. I recommend them to all my customers.

Use a sharpie to outline where you feel like the right side safety should be trimmed. Trim a little to start and test for fit to your hand. Trim until you have the correct feel.

Good luck!

Ok, your issue is just what I thought get the tools out and grind of the right hand side of the safety so you are not pressing it up with your strong hand. You can thin out the whole thing or just where you strong hand is applying pressure to it. Take a look at the left side and do the same thing. I also add a little tension to the detent by altering the hole on the safety. I use a larger bit so the detent locks in better.

I run the Brazos shield to keep my thumb off the slide.

Edited by AWLAZS

Get a Swenson safety

I hate them. I know some people like them, but I found them to be inconvenient. I get a little bit of that wear on my thumb, on a gun with very pronounced serrations, but it is not a big problem.

On another gun I have a wider SVI safery, and that pretty much eliminates the issue.

On the right side, yes, that nasty lower corner needs to go, I give it a soft angle there, and the problem disappears.