Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need some advice on RX glasses issue.

Build4u

I went for an eye exam and new glasses regular and pistol specific. Before ordering Rudy Project frames and lenses I tested the rx in non dominant eye only for shooting iron sights with a Contact lens. The test went well there and at range with the Pistol, altough I am sensitive to contacts.

I was having very little issue with correction in one eye only with contacts. When the glasses came in it was a big problem. I figured out the test contacts were not toric for astigmatism correction and the rx glasses are. If I leave the glasses on for a while it gets better, however way different than trying the contacts. It was not my regular Doctor, the new place was close and had Rudy frames to try. They have me coming back in Thursday and I am pretty sure they will stand behind their work.

When testing with one contact only it was more like needing reading glasses type issues when not actually shooting. I could adjust to the correction pretty easy and quick. With the glases it seems blurry and distorted some and like I am dancing in and out of double vision at the target. The adjustment never fully gets there and when I take them off I need to adjust back which was next to nothing in Contacts. This happens with both lense sets. Could the Astigmatism adjustment create this issue, or has anyone noticed that extreme of a difference between contacts and glasses? I had thought about backing off the correction a touch in the non dominant eye to lessen the difference, however it was good with the contact. maybe should be done in Glasses?

Thanks, David

Edited by Build4u

I have custom lenses in my rudys and have two more frames there now getting made along with my Randolph Rangers I got from Allan. With the info I got from Allan on my shooting glasses I knew what to tell Rudy for the new lenses there as well for my eyes for pistol shooting. Just sharing what I learned.

Good luck,

DougC

I've found that if you put the "shooting" glasses on when you get up on days you plan on shooting it will go better. You might give that a try. It gives the eyes and brain less strain by not having to acclimatize to more than the one set that day.

I wear contacts all the time, but have a set of glasses for watching TV in bed at night, so I don't have to get up to remove the contacts. Yes, even though they are the same perscription, the vision is different and it takes a while to get used to them. I wear my contacts when I shoot, but had perscription shooting glasses made to wear over the top of my contacts to clear up my sight picture. I put them on the minute I step out of the car, so by the time I shoot, my brain has adjusted to them.

I tried everything you did...I finally settled on contacts, they made them both the same prescription (I tried one for distance in the non dominant eye and one for front sight focus in other first) I really like contacts after all the tests, I can use any protective lenses I want and I have a good compromise on sight and distance, they work with my red dot on my shotgun and scope on my AR equally as well.

They may not work for you this way, but I thought I would share my experience.

Good Luck !

Do not go the insert route. The fogging and multiple lens reflections will drive you crazy.

I use ESS glasses with the inserts and haven't had any issues with fogging except when it was -27 ad I wanted to cover my nose, and ended up not having it covered.

I've shot in some humid weather in the NE.

The problem with using the your contacts prescription for shooting glasses is that the distance away from your eye does matter. So does the thickness of the lens and the material. It also applies to regular vs ANSI spec shooting glasses.

I had Morgan Optical make me a pair of ANSI spec shooting glasses made to a known good, new prescription for my regular distance glasses. I could not stand to wear them. Wayne sent me three correction lenses marked 1, 2 and 3, and told me to hold them in front of the glasses and tell him which was better. One set made them almost perfect, and another completely eliminated the problem but my vision was slightly fuzzy. It turned out that reducing my everyday prescription by .25 diopters solved the problem. .375 diopters would have been perfect at the time. My vision got .25 worse since then, so they are now perfect.

When you go back to your Optician, have them try the same trick. You want to know how much to correct your current lenses so you will get satisfactory results.

The problem with using the your contacts prescription for shooting glasses is that the distance away from your eye does matter. So does the thickness of the lens and the material. It also applies to regular vs ANSI spec shooting glasses.

I had Morgan Optical make me a pair of ANSI spec shooting glasses made to a known good, new prescription for my regular distance glasses. I could not stand to wear them. Wayne sent me three correction lenses marked 1, 2 and 3, and told me to hold them in front of the glasses and tell him which was better. One set made them almost perfect, and another completely eliminated the problem but my vision was slightly fuzzy. It turned out that reducing my everyday prescription by .25 diopters solved the problem. .375 diopters would have been perfect at the time. My vision got .25 worse since then, so they are now perfect.

When you go back to your Optician, have them try the same trick. You want to know how much to correct your current lenses so you will get satisfactory results.

And here you guys thought we asked," what's clearer? one or two?'", because we enjoyed doing it. ;)