Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

4" 1911 bobtail for CCW ?

Revofan

im thinking of trying a 1911 for concealed carry my questions are about carrying with chamber loaded and hammer calked ??? i carry a G23 summer and winter love it but really like the look and feel of the 1911 just worry about the hammer calked i know with safty on and without depressing beavertail or actualy pulling trigger nothing will happen but i guess im looking for a little (comforting reassurance) i mean insight on those who do carry 1911s ???

There are countless guys over generations who have carried 1911's condition one. ( hammer back, loaded chamber, safety on) I carry this way. Many have made the arguements that a 1911 is more resistant to unintended discharge than a striker gun. I agree. But my opinion is trivial. Look at the many accomplished trainers and professionals who believe it is good to go.

FWIW I prefer a pistol without an ambi safety as I have found the safety disengaged unintentionally but it never led to a problem. When carrying right handed with a left side safety only this has never happened to me.

I've been carrying a commander condition 1 for six years now without a problem. There are many safeties employed when the hammer is back. Palm safety keeps the trigger from being pulled. Thumb safety keeps the sear in place. Half cocked hammer sear catch, incase the hammer slips off the sear. And firing pin block (on newer models) in case the previous two safeties don't hold the hammer back.

After fully understanding the mechanics behind the 1911 you will be super comfortable carrying with one in the pipe. Also if you buy one 1911 get ready to more. They're like tattoos, the addiction is strong after acquiring your first.

Edited by Peplow530

Thanks guys I recently made the move from glocks to 2011s in competition and o man what a difference!!! Love the 1911/2011 platform So now I'm looking to carry one too so yah I agree with peplow they are addicting!!!! Going to give it a go when I find one at a decent price

The only part that sux about the change is the huge price difference I could have bought 4 or 5 glocks for what I paid for my limited 2011 but I truly believe in you get what you pay for and I'm never going back !!!

• 3 months later...

Having owned and carried 1911's for many years, I will tell you that your bigger concern should be with how you like shooting a Bobtail. It is a different feel, with the point of grip being more in the palm than on a standard 1911. Took me a little while to feel comfortable with it.

So far as safety is concerned? The advice to carry one cocked, locked but unloaded for a few days is good. Remember, to fire, a 1911 would need the thumb safety to get manually disengaged...at a time the grip safety was fully engaged...and the trigger pulled with force enough to drop the hammer. 3 things, in 3 different locations on the pistol.

In the Winter I carry my STI Ranger III 9mm. I've also carried a Guardian (3" barrel 9mm w/ officer grip). They are both near the same weight and the grip difference wasn't that big a deal if I got the angle of the holster right.

A gun w/o a round in the chamber is just a pretty blunt tool when it comes time to needing it. How many unloaded table starts have you had that a round gave you issues? One was enough for me to not even consider an empty chamber while carrying

The only part that sux about the change is the huge price difference I could have bought 4 or 5 glocks for what I paid for my limited 2011 but I truly believe in you get what you pay for and I'm never going back !!!

And you can spend hundreds of dollars trying to "fix" a Glock and make it shoot like a 1911/2011, but it never will. You're better off with the 2011. Quality doesn't cost, it pays!