Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Better Out of the Box - 1301, Versamax, or Something Else

Dr.J

New to shotgun shooting. I'm relocating to Phoenix and am looking to purchase a shotgun for home defense, non-competitive clay target shooting, and would like to shoot in some Carbine and Shotgun matches. What would be a good "first shotgun," I know it won't be the last a Beretta 1301, Versamax, or something else? I'm looking for something that I'll be able to shoot as is and won't need work as soon as I buy it. Thanks, Dr.J

You'll get dozens of recommendations on 'what's the best out of the box'........most will recommend what they personally use, so I'll start:

Beretta 1301. They nay-sayers will say....but, but, but you have to add a tube extension.

Next!

Depending on where you will relocate, come out to Rio either the monthly shotgun match or monthly 3 gun match, or if by end of March, SMM3G match will be on. You would be able to shop just about every brand, and most will let you handle and shoot their toys so you can get a feel.

There are many choices, my bias if for 3 gun and run a VM. (SBR for HD in my case)

If you're looking to shoot something out of the box and really keep it out of the box, probably a Versamax Competition 22"

If you're willing to make modifications because you want to be more competitive then you're asking the wrong question, "which shotgun is the best for 3 gun" - and that question has no real answer because Pro's are proving that all brands and designs are allowing them to place well and win stuff. Thats going to come down mostly to personal preference and what you want in your shotgun, or dont want.

As you have heard already it is mostly personal preference. When it comes down to it. But out of the box the versamax competition tactical needs some slight tweeks that anyone the van strip a gun can do. I personally think the port is addequate for quads or load 2. As I ran it all last season with the out of the box port. I have over the winter moved the port forward slightly. the 1301 I think needs quite a bit of port work to effectively load quads or 2's. Buying a used m2 is also a great option. Each has areas where it edges the others. I own a Stoeger m3000 and a versamax competition tactical. If you can put you hands on them see what feels best and go with that. They all can be modified to load well.

The biggest issue with shotguns is RELIABILITY. I have a couple of VersaMax's and they run well. I hear really good things about the 1301 too. Benelli is the gold standard. Can't go wrong with either. Your decision will come down to whether you like a lighter but harder kicking gun (Benelli or Beretta), or prefer a heavier but softer shooting gun (VM).

During March 17th-21st we will be setting up for the Superstition Mountain Mystery 3-Gun match, but our monthly Tactical Shotgun match is scheduled for Thursday March 19th at 4pm... if indeed it is still on, you can expect to find many of the local 3-Gun community using it as a last-minute warmup for SMM3G. You will likely be able to fondle/shoot each of the guns you are considering, as well as see them in action. Send me an EM/IM if you can make it.

Thanks for the all your comments and suggestions. I understand that the Stoeger M3000 is not in the same class as a Benelli or Beretta in fit, finish, and quality of the parts, however, from the standpoint of durability and reliability how does it compare to let's say a Versamax, JM930. Are some parts prone to failure or breakage or is the difference more in aesthetics? Does Stoeger stand behind their product are parts difficult to obtain? Thanks, Dr.J

I vote 1301 as well. Just got my son's VersaMax back from C-rums, he did the whole race package. I don't see how anyone could quad load that thing. Even after it's tapered the handguard is about 3" thick

The VM quad loads no problem. Just have to relieve the loading port and handguard appropriately... same as any other shotgun.

Thanks for the all your comments and suggestions. I understand that the Stoeger M3000 is not in the same class as a Benelli or Beretta in fit, finish, and quality of the parts, however, from the standpoint of durability and reliability how does it compare to let's say a Versamax, JM930. Are some parts prone to failure or breakage or is the difference more in aesthetics? Does Stoeger stand behind their product are parts difficult to obtain? Thanks, Dr.J

As far as reliability I would say the stoeger is quite superior to the 930JM just from being an inertia gun. I own both a M3000 and a Versamax Competition tactical and both load very easy after some modifications, and both are extremely reliable with proper ammo (the versamax can run all but the absolute lightest loads). I prefer the versamax in my trials. It is slightly heavier but has very little recoil. I see no appreciable time difference between target transition time between the 2 but I prefer the lighter recoil. If I could have beretta/benelli/stoeger weight with versamax recoil that is what I would choose. Things the Stoeger has that I like better are the weight and the shell latch and the price. Things I like about the versamax outof the box is the port, the safety, the one peice 8 round tube, aesthetics, recoil, stock. Most of the things on the competition tactical are creature comforts and are not mandatory for the game. a reliable easy to load shotgun is what you are after and both need slightly different work to do them well.

I vote 1301 as well. Just got my son's VersaMax back from C-rums, he did the whole race package. I don't see how anyone could quad load that thing. Even after it's tapered the handguard is about 3" thick

The VM quad loads no problem. Just have to relieve the loading port and handguard appropriately... same as any other shotgun.

I can pick up an m2, stoeger, browning, fn, and load them fairly quickly without having to modify the way I quad load. I've tried to do the same with the VersaMax, just can't do it. I know it can be done, just not as easily to adapt to as the others.