Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First 9mm reload - Bayou 147gr or 160gr?

1eyedfatman

This is my first run at reloading and it will be 9mm for competition (idea, uspsa, steel, multi gun). I shoot a Glock 34 gen 4 and have done all the changes to it (Jager lightweight striker/spring, SS recoil rod/spring, KKM 9mm bbl, Vanek trigger, Dawson sites/magwell, etc). I also have a CZ custom Shadow on the bench. I've already picked up Titegroup powder, CCI primers and am picking up and cleaning brass. Setting up with a refurb'd Dillon 650. I have some guys in the club which shoot Bayou and Xtreme. I'm leaning towards going with Bayou on my first run. Trying to decide if I should start off with 147gr or 160gr. I would like to make it a soft shooter. I've read one shooter on the forums says he's had good results with the Bayou 160gr. Would like to make my order soon. What do you guys think?

PS…I have been shooting 9mm 147gr factory.

Edited by 1eyedfatman

I agree about starting with the 147. I think at some point, there are diminishing returns with increasing bullet weights. With the 147, you are comfortably subsonic (where with a 135, you are close to supersonic at 132 PF) , and have plenty of kinetic energy to knock down the popper. I don't see a need to go heavier. My two cents.

I know another shooter that uses the Xtreme 165gr 9mm and says he prefers them. The cost definately increases with the weight. Compared to my factory (Freedom Munitions 147gr factory reloads)...with my powder "tuned" home reloads, should I notice a softer feel compared to the factory 147gr?

I shoot a lot of the Bayou 147 FP. through several Glocks. They seem like the perfect bullet. Affordable, easy to get to shoot well, and they work well on the plates. 3.7 grains of WST or 4.0 grains of WSF have been producing great results. COAL 1.13

I'm running 9mm 160 gr bullets for practice only. The private range where I practice has lots of steel available but to use it I'm required to shoot lead bullets at less than 1000 fps. These heavy bullets do the trick.

At 135 PF these are soft shooting bullets but after years of shooting snappier 124 gr bullets, they just don't feel right. Maybe in time I would get used to them.

They are 100% reliable in my gun and like I said, they shoot soft. Unlike posters in other threads, I don't think the heavy 9mm bullets slow down the slide enough to really cause any problems. They just feel different.

I'd go with 147's over 160s. You can probably load either for your Glock. CZs are notorious for short chambers (As well as great accuracy and finishing high at Production Nationals) so you may have problems getting 160gn bullets to work. Load too long and the bullets engage the rifling when chambering a round. Load too short and the base of the bullet is deep enough in the case that it's into the thicker case wall area and the round won't gauge or chamber at all. For my CZ, I can't load some head stamps for this problem (CBC, PRVI, Aquila)