What makes a good 3 gun handguard?

Dewberry

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^ I don't think priced right applies to the Barnes. Can't win them all. I actually paid around $1500 for my BPM handguard. But it had a free rifle attached to the back end of it so that was cool.

Edited by TonytheTiger

Actually, the barrel nut is the most important part of the HG if you want accuracy. Many HGs have barrel nut geometry that ignores the need for solid mating of the Barrel to the nut and upper receiver. There are some $300+ HGs out there that just changing the barrel nut to a robust design cuts group sizes significantly. Not to diminish the utility of some HG designs over others, but the differences are really pretty minor except in terms of swing weight and balance. But the barrel nut...the part most people don't think about...yes that is very important.

For a long time I didn't give Midwest Industries the time of day, but have become a huge fan thanks to their new Gen II SS, and Lightweight handguards. Both are super slim, lightweight, and very tough. I've been throwing them in barrels for the last 2 seasons and have been very happy.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1266

If i had to pick a close second it would be the SLR - one of the only handguards that is nice and slim in the 16.5" length.

http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=66_106_71&product_id=392

Geissele put out a older youtube video, Discussing his handguards he mentions that his barrel nut was not only designed to secures the barrel to the receiver but also fits tightly to the handguard adding the necessary support needed for sights and other accessories. He also stats that some handguards out there do not deal with issue. Seems that if your after a good 15" handguard. there's 2 issue a quality barrel nut, and overall weight

No fix, just don't buy one that jams tight to the upper receiver. Ive seen several now that have a continuous top rail that is designed to fit tightly to the upper receiver rail, also there are a few that the handguard is jammed into the upper right at the junction where the gas tube goes through. Bad design for accuracy. A good free float has at least .005 clearance from the upper and only touches the upper through the threads of the barrel nut.

I learn something every time I talk to a Miller. Sometimes good and sometimes great! Thanks Kurt! I just looked at my favorite hand guard on a rifle that just happens to be stringing and I did not understand why. No gap...... I had the hand guard butted up tight against the receiver. Easy fix and now back the range to see results.