Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hodgdon HP-38?

Iowashooter

It's the same powder as 231. Try looking up recipes for that.

Nevermind, I just typed 231 into the search window and found 30 pages of info. Try that.

Edited by Sarge

Burned a couple pounds of W231/HP-38 and 147 grain bare lead Flat Points.

3.5 grains at 1.13 OAL got me 131 PF

3.3 grains at 1.13 OAL with a Coated 147 grain pill, 133 PF.

160 grain coated- @ 1.14 OAL with 3.2 grains, 136 PF

Meters well in my 650. There are certainly better options, but these days if it's available, got for it!

Thanks for the info. I had been running power pistol with my 147's but I am getting low and couldn't source any locally so I went ahead and picked up an 8 lb jusg of hp 38. Which should hopefully last me long enough that the next time I need pistol powder I can find anything I want.

Edited by Iowashooter

I got 8lbs of w231 a few months ago, since I couldn't find the AA5 I'd been using. It seems dirty for me so far but I have a lot and it's a loader powder charge so I'll stick it out. At the rate I shoot I'm good for a few years

Please report any other good loads you work out, I don't shoot 9 but my brother and two buddies do and I'm gonna load them some to help them decide if they want to go the reload route over purchased ammo

Red

Thanks for the info. I had been running power pistol with my 147's but I am getting low and couldn't source any locally so I went ahead and picked up an 8 lb jusg of hp 38. Which should hopefully last me long enough that the next time I need pistol powder I can find anything I want.

Good move Iowashooter. I would have done the same!

• 1 month later...

I got 8lbs of w231 a few months ago, since I couldn't find the AA5 I'd been using. It seems dirty for me so far.....

DagoRed:

I just had about the same experience, as I couldn't find any Titegroup, and my Unique is about gone. I just hope it doesn't burn as dirty as Herco. I've got several pounds of it left over from my shotgun reloading days, and there is some loading data for it in the older manuals I still have. However, after about 20 rounds, I had to take the gun apart and clean it. Hopefully W231 is not quite that bad.

OT

I could not find 231 or HP-38 so I'm glad to see some are finding it out there.

When I was shooting it I believe the higher side of the load tables kept it from being as dirty.

Burns a little slower and for some reason lighter loads don't burn up completely.

I was at the gun show in Louisville this weekend and they had as much reloading supply that I've ever seen at a show. They did have 8lb jug of HP-38 (win-231) that was only priced at 154$ I about bought it but I ran into a bunch of that 38 at my local gun store. Past two days I've been trying to dial in the right load with my 9mm JRC carbine with MG 124gr JHP. and new Starline +P brass. Haha im ocd with this reloading hobbie if mine.

Is it really the same as WIN 231? My lee manual lists different VMDs for Win 231 and HP38 for determining charge weight based on disk volume for the Lee auto disk powder measure. Also most burn rate charts do not have them that close together

Edited by Fordfan485

Found 5 lbs HP-38 online that was only slightly over priced. Was getting worried, almost out of CFEP. Leaving my 8lb order of CFEP in place for now.

Where did you find it?

Gunbroker, guy in TX had 10 lbs he was selling. Bit pricey, but I'm literally out. thought about taking all 10 lbs, but decided to not be greedy and contribute to the problem :)

Is it really the same as WIN 231? My lee manual lists different VMDs for Win 231 and HP38 for determining charge weight based on disk volume for the Lee auto disk powder measure. Also most burn rate charts do not have them that close together

My Hodgedon manual shows them at exactly the same loads.

Found 5 lbs HP-38 online that was only slightly over priced. Was getting worried, almost out of CFEP. Leaving my 8lb order of CFEP in place for now.

Where did you find it?

Gunbroker, guy in TX had 10 lbs he was selling. Bit pricey, but I'm literally out. thought about taking all 10 lbs, but decided to not be greedy and contribute to the problem :)

Thx. I've been living off of the 20 lbs of 231 and other assorted powders for the past 3 years and I'm now down to my last 4 lbs. About to get desperate here.

Hodgdon will tell you that it is the same powder

w296 and h110 are the same also

in rifle 760 and h414 are the same

again hodgdon will be happy fo verify that information

and for your peace of mind I suggest you do verify it