Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canadian IPSC family relocating to Illinois

RGC

Well, my walking papers are coming. A good thing business wise, but creates a whole list of new questions and things to look into.

Getting my wife's and my SVI's down to Illinois, under work permits, may be a challenge.

So a couple quick questions for those of you in the know......

What would be the good clubs to look at nearer the O'Hare area? I need to be reasonably placed to be 1/2 hr commute-wise to Rosemont if that is an indicator. USPSA/IPSC matches and training only (pistols) really what we are into.

Anyone have a good source on firearm import (and subsequent use, travel, and ownership) of non-citizens under valid work permits (moving to permanent residency in the future)? Looks like we may be here for the remainder of career (well, Texas eventually).

Appreciate any help.....

Welcome to Chicago area!

Indoor: Alpha Range, Article 2, PineTree, OnTarget all have USPSA/IDPA matches

Outdoor: Oakpark Sportsmen Club in Plainfield, IL (probably the closest),

Porter County Club in Indiana, NISA/Schultz in Wisconsin.

I may be forgetting one or two more

PM me with any questions once you get to the area

Moving to the U.S. - Personal firearms imported and shipped with household effects

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/275/~/moving-to-the-u.s.---personal-firearms-imported-and-shipped-with-household

Can I ship personal firearms with household effects into the U.S.?

Your personal firearms are not considered household effects and should be shipped separately to avoid complications when clearing Customs and Border Protection (CBP). Prior to importing firearms, you should contact a federal firearms licensed dealer and have them request a permit from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) on your behalf. This importation cannot be for resale. The dealer will submit an ATF Form 6, Part I, indicating your name, address and the purpose of the importation to ATF's Imports Branch for approval.

Some firearm imports do not require a federal firearms licensed dealer to obtain the permit (i.e., sporting type ammunition, firearm parts, and military personnel). To find out if your importation does not require a federal firearms licensed dealer to request the permit, call the ATF Imports Branch (304) 616-4550.

The processing time to receive the Form 6 back and the approved permit Form 6A is 4-6 weeks. After you or the dealer receive the forms, they both must be submitted to CBP along with the bill of lading for Customs to release the shipment.

If you are military personnel, you can submit a Form 6, Part II to ATF for approval. When you receive the Form 6 back and the approved permit Form 6A, you must submit both forms along with the bill of sale to CBP for release.

If the firearm is registered in the U.S., you do not need a permit to bring it back. If you registered it with CBP prior to leaving the U.S., you can present the certificate of registration or valid proof of ownership such as the bill of sale to CBP.

You can obtain the Form 6 here or from the ATF Imports Branch.

To obtain a list of federal firearms licensed dealers, you can do a search on the internet and use the search term "Firearm Dealer".

There are no restictions on the importation of soft body armor.

If you wish to receive automatic updates to this Q&A, select "Subscribe to Updates" on the left side of this screen.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/275/~/moving-to-the-u.s.---personal-firearms-imported-and-shipped-with-household

Hurricane Butterfly is fully licensed to import firearms and other defense articles into the United States.

http://www.hurricanebutterfly.net/import

If the firearms are accompanying you, get the ATF form 6, type up a letter explaining why you want to bring your firearms into the states and then it shouldn't be an issue once you get the approved form back. When you arrive at the border, declare your firearms and any ammo you have with you. Make sure the firearms are un-loaded and do not remove them from your vehicle until you are asked. Present your forms to the CBP Officer and follow their directions. If you contact one of the ranges in the local area, ask them for an invite letter to their matches. This will also be considered by the ATF.

If you ship it, then you will have to deal with a US FFL.

Not as tough as most people think. Just have all your paperwork in order. I am USCBP.

I think the above poster means FOID (Firearms Owner Identification) Card. It is required for Illinois residents (not temporary visitors) for possession and purchase of firearms in the state. The Illinois State Police is the issuing agency: http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/foidapp.cfm. You may want to consider also applying to the State Police for a license to carry a concealed handgun and take advantage of one of the most fundamental differences between American and Canadian firearm laws. I am pretty sure that while IL requires a license to own firearms, there is no statewide registration requirement, though there could be one in the town you move to.

"FFL" stands for Federal Firearms License and those are issued by the BATFE to individuals and businesses STRICTLY for the purpose of engaging in the manufacture, distribution, and/or retail sale of firearms and ammunition. You do not need to concern yourself with an FFL.

With regards to use, ownership and travel, every state has its own laws. Most of them are all pretty much the same, with the notable exception of California, New Jersey, New York, Maryland, and Massachusetts. Avoid all those if you can.

There is a federal law (Firearm Owners Protection Act) that is supposed to give you protection from state laws regarding possession and ownership that are different than those of where you live if you are simply traveling through said states so long as you are legally allowed to possess said firearms both in your state where your journey begins and ends AND that you transport the firearm unloaded, and in a separate compartment from the passenger compt.

Living in Illinois, you will be able to travel to virtually any other state in the Midwest and Great Lakes region with ZERO hassle so long as your pistols are unloaded and stored in the trunk or in a locked case in the cargo area if your vehicle doesn't have an enclosed trunk. None of the states anywhere near Illinois require licensing of firearm owners or have firearm registration.

In case you haven't noticed, we are VERY different than Canada. You can pretty much forget all the bullshit handgun/restricted/prohibited/authorization to travel laws, and RCMP arbitrary rulemaking now that you'll be here.

Edited by elguapo

In case you haven't noticed, we are VERY different than Canada. You can pretty much forget all the bullshit handgun/restricted/prohibited/authorization to travel laws, and RCMP arbitrary rulemaking now that you'll be here.

Umm, he's still going to be in Illinois. Not all that much different...

Ummm, no. Something tells me you haven't dealt with, or even reviewed, Canadian gun laws dealing with handguns and other "restricted" and "prohibited" firearms.

I don't recall the last time anyone in Illinois had to call the state police to get permission to take their AR15 to the range.

WTF does that have to do with Canadian gun laws?

Do that in Ohio and you'll have a shitload of trouble too. Every state has its specific definitions of what a loaded firearm is and is not when it comes to transport. In both Illinois and Ohio, put the rifle and loaded mags in a firearm case and you're legal. Leave them lying on the seat and you go to jail.

Try again.

Edited by elguapo

• 2 weeks later...

Moved from Barrie, ON in 2007 to Mundelein, IL.

IL State Department will not issue a FOID card until you are a permanent resident. I had to tuck my SV in a safe for 3 years, until I got my green card. Sad but real.

Now if you can live in Wisconsin or Indiana, then you would not have a problem.

Good Luck.

Thanks DVC,

That is actually the type of information I am looking for. My wife immediately said, "well I'm not going if I can't shoot for 3 years!"..........<I'd like to add an lol here if it was a joke>.

Whom or which department would you recommend I speak with? I am an executive with a company whose corporate office is based in the Chicago area, hence the need to move me closer to that locale.

I would have to stick 3 SV's in a vault...and couldn't see me doing that. Wisconsin "may" be possible but the commute to O'Hare area would be a tad long.

Simply put, we won't wait for 3 years to compete again as its become a very important part of our lives. Heck, the only way I can get my wife to Europe is through shooting the Euro Extreme match so its now become a welcome competitive fixture.

Just need to get the real actual low down from those whom have gone through the process. What about Ohio, Michigan, or Texas?

I really do appreciate all the responses above.......feel a little down now......

I was working downtown Chicago, so had the same problem, I moved with an L-1 Visa and it took from July 2007 to May 2010 to get my green card.

Basically, I stopped competing for 3 years, it sucked. If you live in Wisconsing the commute by train is going to be 1 1/2 hours ;(

I had no option because my wife worked in Northbrook (30 min north of Chicago) and the commute from Wisconsin would have been too much. By the way, O'hare is not far away from Northbrook. I don't think there is anybody you can talk too, it is a state law that to even touch a gun in IL you have to have a FOID card if you are a resident of IL.

Indiana is closer, cheaper and friendlier with respect to guns and CCW. I had some coworkers that lived in Indiana. Check the Metra website, and see the frequencies. By car is probably better coming from Indiana than from Wisconsin as the commute is terrible going north.

Tried applying for the FOID and was rejected 3 times, once I had the green card, no problem.

Importing the guns is not a problem, check ATF website, apply for the Form 6. I moved with a truck and they did not even look at the guns once I declared them and showed them the ATF paperwork. There are some Russian / Chinese firearms available in Canada that cannot be imported to the US.

I WOULD NOT TRY TO DO THE IMPORT / DECLARATION OF YOUR GUNS IN O'HARE, THEY WILL KEEP YOUR GUNS AND MIGHT WANT TO PUT YOU IN JAIL FOR NOT HAVING A FOID. Do it by land in Windsor / Detroit or Niagara Falls and DRIVE. Once you enter IL without a FOID, if you are stopped (try not to be) just tell them you are heading to Wisconsin....Once you have an IL drivers license that trick will not work....

For legal advice, try talking to ISRA (Illinois State Rifle Association), I am sure they can recommend someone.

Edited by dvc4you

What about Ohio, Michigan, or Texas?

Any of those would be fantastic (when it comes to gun rights at least) compared to IL. Each state has its own quirks of course, but you won't be disappointed by the gun culture. The competition culture might be different though. I suspect TX will have the best USPSA/IPSC match calendar, although that depends on what city you're near. One important thing to note - in TX, you can shoot outdoor matches 12 months a year. In Michigan there's no chance and Ohio is only slightly better. The winters are... pretty much just like in Canda.

Alright, when time permitted, ran a few logistics calculations.

Let's say I choose to spend 45mins to an hour in the car to commute to Rosemont, living in St John, Munster, etc-ville, Indiana (NW).

I have a luxury now of having free reign of a range for 3 hours each Thursday, and shoot club matches on Friday. There are 1 or 2 IPSC matches each weekend from 30 mins drive to 1 hour drive from my home.

I know this is a tedious question, but would I be able to reasonably live fire practice (holster, movement drills, etc) within NW Indiana? I am trying to search via USPSA etc., and do see an odd "shoot 3rd Sunday every month", but am wondering if I am being reasonable in my search. I put 20K rounds out last year, and would like to do the same over the next few years (I'm a tad too old to spend 3 years waiting for my permanent residency cards before I can live closer to my HQ)?

I do appreciate the response(s) and apologize in advance for the specific questions.......I just need to know before I make the final decision.

Can't help you with Indiana, all my shooting was done in IL and WI, as someone already mentioned: Pine Tree in Rockford, Mc Henry and Cristal Lake. I am sure our fellow shooters from Indiana will respond, just post again with that specific title.

You'll have additional drive time, but I would say it's doable for you to shoot a club match 4 weekends a month living in NW Indiana. Looks like there is one club close, with 3 more within 3 hours. Having said that, I drive 2 - 2.5 hours for all but one 3 gun match, so I'm used to that. Below are the clubs I'm thinking about...

North Porter County Conservation Club, Chesterton, IN

Warsaw Rifle and Pistol Club, Warsaw, IN

Fort Wayne Rifle & Revolver Gun Club, Fort Wayne, IN

Atlanta Conservation Club, Atlanta, IN

I moved from Ontario to Michigan in 2009 & brought my ipsc gun with me.

I had to fill out a Form 6-Permanent import sheet. Crossed at Win-Det & it was simple.

I don't know anything about Illinois, and whether its different than Michigan with regards to importing a firearm.

Also, I moved on a K1 visa (fiancée visa), and got my green card in 6 months.

Not sure what visa you will be moving here on, how long you're staying & your status while living here.

Hope all goes well!

Well, heading back from the Florida Open now. Wife and I shot Open for the first time and first for using hi caps as well....this could be addicting.

While scoping the stages on Friday, received a call if I would consider NE Alabama area to make my main office (great company that is trying to accommodate our competitive passions).

Maybe I need to create a new post asking the same question on Alabama now....I don't think I'll be able to sleep again with this whirlwind of life impacting changes......

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to Illinois. You can shoot every weekend April to October if you are willing to drive 1 to 2 hour distance. In IL we shoot in IL WI IN and MI. Between North Porter County, Bend Of the River, Oak Park Sportsmans Club, Shultz's and Oconomowoc there is a match every Sunday.