Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jacketed bullets vs Cast

pkmass69

I am looking to work up a new .45 target load and have spent several hours comparing load data for 200gn bullets. I have a stock of Berry's plated hollow points but cannot find specific information on this bullet. I am planning to create a few test loads and chronograph then at the range. My question is if there is a rule of thumb regarding the velocity differences between lead bullets and jacketed of the same weight? Or round nose, SWC vs. hollow points of the same weight?

Thanks,

Paul

Let's take the 200 SWC as an example. IF you loaded all bullets with the same powder charge, your results would probably be

1-Coated bullets such a Bayou the fastest

2-uncoated plain lead bullets second

3-Plated bullets (Berry's, X-treme, etc) Third

4-FMJ-such as the Hornady 200 grain CT would be the slowest.

There are a lot more variables involved such as seating depth, bullet bearing surface, etc However if you asked which product would be the fastest the stank ranking above has proven true in several guns and bullet types. Hope this helps to answer your question.

Edited by rdinga

Several reloading manuals show data for Berrys or Rainier plated bullets. Plating is not jacketed. Berrys recommends starting from hard cast leada data, or mid range jacketed data. Rainier suggests midrange jacketed data. Xtreme recommends jacketed data for the heavy plate bullets.

Here is the speed range for the same weight bullets with different coatings. Lubed Lead is fastest. Poly coated is next (although some are slower than plated), then comes plated. Next comes heavy plate, and jacketed slowest. Generally a hollow point bullet of the same weight will be slower than a solid, because of the extra bearing surface.

Target loads want to be in the 775 to 800 fps range generally, so follow Berrys suggestion and start with hard cast lead data. pick a load for your powder in the 800fps range and chrono it. How much lower than 800 it goes will depend on how fast the powder is. Faster powders show more of a delta between lead and plated than slower powders do.

ZZT summed it up. If I am trying to make power factor with a new plated bullet then I load it to a listed power factor load with jacketed loads and then refine it usually downwards when I get the chance - it will not be off a lot in my experience.

Edited by Solvability

I am looking to work up a new .45 target load and have spent several hours comparing load data for 200gn bullets. I have a stock of Berry's plated hollow points but cannot find specific information on this bullet. I am planning to create a few test loads and chronograph then at the range. My question is if there is a rule of thumb regarding the velocity differences between lead bullets and jacketed of the same weight? Or round nose, SWC vs. hollow points of the same weight?

Thanks,

Paul

Berry's are plated not jacketed. A good start is to load plated bullets using lead recipes.

Great info guys, I've been using xtreme bullets, first 185s (before getting into competition) now 230's. If I can get power factor the same with less powder though I would rather go that route. Now I've gotta see which lead ones everybody is using.

Red

I find it interesting that so many are moving to 230gr bullets for competition. Most of the people I shoot with did the opposite. Yes, the slower 230 load can feel softer, but it is so much slower on follow up shots.

I used to load 230gr LTC for pin matches, because "everybody" said they cleared the pins better. Well, I think they do to a slight extent, but I'm slower with them. With the 200gr LTC I am much faster and I still clear the pins. If my pistol shot 185gr accurately, I'd probably be using them.

200gn always seemed like the "sweet spot" to me for .45s.

Thin plated bullets are most like coated lead bullets and should use lead data.

From the few I've tested, they aren't particularly accurate (<2" at 25 yards), but they are, currently, cheaper than most jacketed bullets.

I prefer Precision Bullet's coated and swaged 200gn L-SWC, just as I prefer Zero 200gn swaged L-SWC for Bullseye.