Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle needs a diet. Turn barrel?

Thehotrodpig

Newer 3 gunner with a couple seasons in and slowly upgrading. Last season the gun was ran with an 18" rifle gas criterion hbar barrel, midwest ss gen2 15" Handguard, jp low mass, adjustable gas, miculek comp, burris tac30 1-4x24 on a pepr mount.

Just upgraded to a vortex razor hd 1-6x24 which is a pig. Now I feel the gun is too heavy. I love this barrel, it's a tack driver but it's an hbar profile. I am thinking about having it turned down to lighten up the gun a bit. I have friends with machine shops and can get it done cheap to free. I know some will say just buy a lighter barrel and I will if I have to but prefer to turn mine down if it is believed I can get acceptable results.

How will this effect accuracy and does anybody have a recommendation on a profile?

when I was looking to build my 308, the only barrel available at the time was a 24" HBAR. I bought it (couldn't resist the price) I didn't even look at it. Had it shipped direct to a friend (member here) who is an experienced gunsmith and machinist and to him I wanted the barrel lightened, a comp installed, and gave him the OAL I wanted him to be close to.

Best decision I made. If I recall correct, he took about 2 pounds off the barrel. If I were looking to do it again, I would not hesitate. BUT: It depends on who does the work.

Maybe he will add to this.

i was thinking the same thing, as I run a JP 18" thick bugger of a barrel. But, it's rock steady to shoot, settles on long targets even with me panting, and is so accurate it's scary. I realized it would be much more beneficial (both to the game and my life) if I just hit the gym and trained instead of trying to lighten the barrel. Seems to be working pretty well!

Of course the barrel can be turned. Smaller cuts to keep it from overheating is preferred unless flood coolant is available on the lathe. Some barrels will maintain accuracy better than others. Not all of them have straight bores.

I find it funny how people complain about the weight of the Vortex 1-6 Razor. If it's so heavy, why not load only 10 rounds in your mags. :devil:

I suggest looking at other areas of the rifle to remove weight.

Start with that PEPR mount. Take a look at the Aero precision light weight mount (only weighs 3.5 ounces).

Next area is the lower and its parts. Check V7 weapon systems and their line of titanium lower receiver parts. V7 also makes an aluminum receiver extension castle nut, end plate, and light weight buffer tube.

Next look at the pistol grip, and the stock. Lighter options are available.

Lastly, take a look at the forearm and gas block. Smaller, lighter options are available. Don't hang a bunch of rail panels and the like off the forearm of the rifle.

Think like race car builders: instead of finding one place to take out 100 pounds, find 1000 places to remove 1 pound. In this case, find a 16 places to remove an ounce and the rifle will get lighter by a pound.

Current Handguard is pretty light. Midwest ss gen two. Skinny little thing. No extra rails or crap hung anywhere. I am upgrading to an slr lightweight gas block. The aero mount is coming as well. Rear stock is a fairly light magpul fixed. Might try an ace from another rifle but am thinking the gun will just feel more front heavy.

I am not neccasarily looking for an ultralight build. Mostly inquiring if having my barrel turned from an hbar profile to??? Would be a worthwhile endeavor.

Thank you for your responses so far.

As plentiful as AR parts are right now, I would tend to think that swapping out the barrel entirely would be far more cost-effective than getting the existing barrel machined down. You're going to have to remove the barrel from the upper to have it machined anyway, so wouldn't it be easier to just drop on a new lighter barrel and go?

As plentiful as AR parts are right now, I would tend to think that swapping out the barrel entirely would be far more cost-effective than getting the existing barrel machined down. You're going to have to remove the barrel from the upper to have it machined anyway, so wouldn't it be easier to just drop on a new lighter barrel and go?

I can pull the barrel in minutes. Like I said in my first post, I have access to friends with machine shops/ lathes. Work would be cheap to free.

I was in a similar situation a few years ago. A Heart heavy barrel that was a tack driver. Had a friend turn it down and flute it, it was still a tack driver after the machine work too. This included shooting a group, doing a mag dump and shooting a second group, all was good. If you trust your machinist go for it.

Jeff

Also forgot to mention at the time I had a pepr mount that I had my machinist fill full of holes too. These days though I am running an Aero Precision light weight mount. It is an excellent mount, reasonable price and AP supports the sport.

Jeff

Your barrel weight is 2.65 lbs. How much will turning / fluting shed? I am shooting a 18" rifle gas fluted that weighs 1 lb 15 ounces.

You did say that your machine work is free so give it a try. Worst thing that can happen is the barrel doesn't shoot well when done and then you are only out the barrel. My recommendation on ADCO is I have seen their work first hand and it is very high quality.

I would build a new one just to have a spare that I know already shoots well but I have a gun problem. I have multiple receivers and barrels sitting around to build.

I too have turned down more than one barrel with the same goal as you. Results have been spot on for me. I would do it again.

Awesome thanks for the replies. Is there a recommended profile that doesn't heat up too fast but is still light? A good compromise of sorts?

I had one turned down to .750 under the handguard, then after see JP's lightweight is .650, I proceeded to go down to .675 on the next one. Both are 18" rifle length gas. I like the balance of light 18's. Both barrels are sub MOA with a variety of loads.

I turned mine my 18" SPR profiled barrel down, I only lost a few oz's but it's better balanced. I didn't lose any accuracy over it either. Balance is more important than overall weight, it could be a 5lb rifle, but it still wouldn't be fun if all the weight way out in front. I think barrel profile, handguard and comp choices have a big impact on balance being that those items are furthest away from the shooter. A heavier stock can also help with bringing some of the weight closer to the shooter.