Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm or .38sc

wblacksh

I have decided to get into the Open game. I have been shooting production and a bit of open with my M&P core with a red dot on it for about 8 months now. I am about 95% sure I am going to get a STI Trubor. I am still working on the decision between 9mm or .38 super comp. I currently have about 5000 rds of cleaned/polished 9mm brass from a local range I sometimes go to. They don't have a problem with me picking up all the 9mm I want (they will actually sweep it into a pile behind me when I am there sometimes). Most of it is once-fired name brand stuff.

I will be getting a Dillon 550B in the next month or so and will begin loading my own stuff.

My question is, it seems the main reason for most people to go with 9mm over .38 is the brass; however, if I am not worried about the cost of .38sc brass and having to pick it up, would it be just as good, if not better? I know there are more powder options with .38sc. Another one of the ranges I go to always has a good amount of .38sc brass laying around after matches (not a ton, but some).

I know it is impossible to get the perfect setup the first time around. I am, as of right now, probably going to go with 9mm, I am just wondering if anyone thinks I will be missing out on something significant by not going with .38sc?

Thanks,

-Wayne

If 38 SC brass is not an issue, go with SuperComp. More load choices and easier to make completely reliable. No searching for SV magazines or playing with magazine spacers. My 2 cents worth.

I'm shooting 9 major and I still ask myself that question. I started w/ 9 major because the guys at my club shooting open shot 9 major and only one guy shot 38SC. It wasn't until I went to major matches that I realized damn near everyone shot 38 super or 38SC (I still don't really know the difference). Universal Shooting Academy and Atlanta Arms makes ammo for 9 major (Only USA), 38 SC, and 38Super and that tends to be my last resort. Love all of their products. But for the sake of saving money I'm abusing the Freedom Munitions brass credit program.