Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How often change 2011 mag springs?

Blue Jacket

I purchased a used Eagle about 18 months ago. I received 4 Dawson tuned mags with it. I haven't had any problems but it i compared them to a new grams spring and follower from a mag I assembled and the Dawson's are much shorter and there isn't near the tension on the follower.

Is there a rule of thumb? I didn't want to take them to failure. And are there any spring recommendations?

I have a dedicated set of practice mags and just use the used springs when they start to get close to questionable. They're cheap enough to just replace but it's amazing how long they'll work after you've lost confidence in them.

I change mine every winter. If I shoot a lot more than usual I will swap them out if ANYTHING odd starts happening with the gun. Mags are the root cause of more malfunctions than many realize.

Every winter when I do a through once over on everything. I replace most of the springs in the gun as well for insurance except for any high wear items.

And this is with shooting about 12k - 15k rnds per year. Early for most things but cheap insurance to keep the gun running in top form.

Depends in how much and how often you shoot. I just change'em the minute I feel it's getting me a problem, since I don't shoot much (low round count/year), and our mags are blocked to 10rds (Hawaii), so not much compression.

If you remove your base pads when not in use they should last a long time.

i thought it was number of compressions that wore springs out. I have mags loaded for defense and carry that stay fully loaded and they are same length as new.

Three magazines, loaded to full capacity in my carry gun... eighteen years before I changed the magazine springs, and that was "just in case" (never a second of trouble - and it's not a safe queen; I shoot it regularly, but not as intensively as my competition gun)

Edited by CZinZA

Put me in the category of "probably need to change mine". 3 years I think they've gone on the same set of springs. I will likely change them out before this season starts for us in a couple months.