Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gold Team open gun .38 Super or 9mm?

mwc

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EAA sells a factory big stick, but there's no base pad available in the US to maximize it's capacity.

I had to get a special basepad made to be legal and even with grams guts, best I've got is 27 in it.post-47835-142919107112_thumb.jpg

post-47835-142919109214_thumb.jpg

When I had put the Tanfo Aluminum base pads on with grams springs I could get 29 but was a tad too long. This was .38 super by the way. Tanfo makes a big stick in 9mm but can't be imported to the USA

Edited by bayougump

Yes, I bought my first one from you :)

They're fairly ugly at the weld and I'm pretty sure he uses a magic marker to "cold blue" it, buy they both run 100% for me. My 38 one holds 29+1 and the 9mm holds 30+1 (the tube is a hair longer and shaved at the back of the feed lips to fit the gauge).

It look to me like some of the plating is being stripped away as the bullet leaves the throat of the chamber, stack up a few rounds worth and that ring is the result. My guess is not enough flare before seating the bullet and/or too much crimp (with plated bullets it should be just enough to remove the flare ~0.378").

Jacketed bullets are less sensitive to those things (and more expensive), but you should be able to shoot plated bullets (I've shot over 10K).

• 3 months later...

I am in the middle of load development for my recently acquired Gold Team Custom 9mm V12. Here is what I got so far;

All loads with Zero 124 FMJ, Win SP primers, & OAL of 1.140" (as long as I can go with the throat)

• Silhouette: 7.8 gr, makes 168 pf
  • HS-6: 8.0 gr, makes 169 pf
  • AutoComp: 7.5 gr, makes 181 pf (surprised me with my chrono readings but if felt accordingly!) When I get the chance I will reduce charge to a 170 pf to compare to the other 2.

Sil & HS-6 were almost identical to perceived recoil and feel. I give the slight edge to HS-6 for feel at the moment.

Primer flattening was was more pronounced with the Sil and slightly better with the AC and HS-6 left the primer with the slightest roundness to the edge. I was surprised that the AC wasn't flattened right out with how violent that load felt.

I am going to do some dot tracking tests when I can compare all 3 at about that 170 pf mark. So far I am favoring the HS-6 with the little bit of shooting I did comparing it to the Sil.