Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accurate/not accurate?

mannparks

G17 2.5 " off sand bags @25 yds, great yes!

Come out of the holster. Consistently 10" low left.

Do not have this problem with revolvers,what am I doing wrong?

Must be the polymer, does the same thing with my xdm 5.25

Edited by mannparks

Since this forum is about competition, and not shooting from a bench, you need to start with the fundamentals: stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control. I suggest you get going with shooting lessons from a Grand Master USPSA shooter and buy Brian Enos's book.

Take some slow shots and make sure your trigger finger isn't dragging along the side of trigger guard. Try getting a good sight picture, pinch the grip between palm and middle/ring finger. Try relaxing pinky which will help keep trigger finger more relaxed. Use support hand and shooting hand with most of pressure from support hand and use a slight inward pressure with both hands. Try using the reset to see how your trigger pull is when it brakes. Then try letting it out all the way , take up to just before trigger breaks and make sure you are pressing straight back with no other part of trigger finger touching the gun besides pad between tip and first digit.

This is all things I picked up from various articles and info on this forum. It has worked for me, but I was shooting good groups about 1" left at 7 yards, 3" at 15 and about 5" at 25. Are you shooting good groups where you are hitting? Sometimes I still do it and then realize I am not doing what I just wrote. Seems like a lot of people shoot glocks left and slightly low.

All of the above. Also, are you using a stock trigger? Trust me, your real problem is with your finger (and relative to a 1911, Glock's require extra work to get that right) but upgrading from stock won't hurt. Zev makes a good one, but after having TTI gunsmith mine, I'll swear by that one till I hit the grave.

Since this forum is about competition, and not shooting from a bench, you need to start with the fundamentals: stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control. I suggest you get going with shooting lessons from a Grand Master USPSA shooter and buy Brian Enos's book.

While this is true, group shooting is something that Brian used often. If you can't shoot nice groups from a rested position, you will never be able to shoot a nice group free style.

All I was trying to say about the sand bags is ,the gun and ammunition have the ability to preform correctly.so they are not the problem.

I acknowledge that the problem lies with my relationship with the new(to me) style polymer pistol,I think!

All I was trying to say about the sand bags is ,the gun and ammunition have the ability to preform correctly.so they are not the problem.

I acknowledge that the problem lies with my relationship with the new(to me) style polymer pistol,I think!

Sounds like you know what a good sight picture is. Perfect the group shooting on the rest, then shoot slow fire, free style with the same sight picture until you get that perfect. Then gradually speed up......

• 1 month later...

While this is true, group shooting is something that Brian used often. If you can't shoot nice groups from a rested position, you will never be able to shoot a nice group free style.

Trace, I find you get much better results, and a lot quicker, with a new shooter when they start freestyle and work only on the fundamentals. The thing is to start at 3 yards, holding on target, when you can make a single hole, go from the low ready, when you can make a sinlge hole, from the holster, then to 5 yards, 7, 10, 15 (tight groups). Then repeat with double taps, then mozambiqu, then movement.

Trace, I find you get much better results, and a lot quicker, with a new shooter when they start freestyle and work only on the fundamentals. The thing is to start at 3 yards, holding on target, when you can make a single hole, go from the low ready, when you can make a sinlge hole, from the holster, then to 5 yards, 7, 10, 15 (tight groups). Then repeat with double taps, then mozambiqu, then movement.

That sounds like a reasonable way to get it done.....

Forget the slow fire stuff for now. You can clearly press the trigger slow and turn in a good group from a rest. You need to learn how to press the trigger fast without disturbing the sights.

In dry fire, extend the gun, put your finger on the trigger and start your shot timer on a delay. As soon as the timer beeps, press the trigger as fast as you can without disturbing the sights. If the sights move off target, you know you didn't press it correctly. Adjust your grip and trigger finger position until you can do this subconsciously without disturbing the sights. DO NOT cheat yourself by slowing down your trigger press. Press through as fast as you can react to the timer.

Carry this same drill over to live fire. Use the same start setup, and fire one round on the timer with the gun starting aimed at the target and your finger on the trigger. As soon as the timer beeps, break the shot. Try to keep your time under .25-.3 which is just a bit longer than normal human reaction time.

Glock triggers are much different than DA revolvers or single action triggers because they are a two stage trigger. It usually takes a lot more work to learn how to shoot them correctly. You can lighten the trigger pull and make this process easier to learn, but a stock glock trigger can be shot well.