Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA Witness Stock 2 - IDPA Legal

Butterpuc

Well, a number of people have bought CZ SP01 Shadows and put on the lightest grips and magazine available to qualify them for SSP so they can shoot them in ESP with no intention of actually shooting SSP.

I figure this might be the same thing for a similar gun. Squeak it in as SSP but use it in ESP.

Silly, but true. Some Enhancements are too enhancing for HQ to make easy, I guess.

the limited pro is the best all around gun eaa sells. idpa,uspsa legal and feels virtually identical to the stock 2. very hard to come by in 9mm, but a .40 shoots very nice also, in minor loading.

I have both Lim Pro and Stock II in 9mm. A big +1 on the LimPro for IDPA. The mag well opening isn't quite as large as the Stock II but it is plenty large enough and it feels almost identical. Lim Pro barrel is maybe .25" longer.

Edited by Beastly

my lim pro, stock 2 and stock 3 all have the same size mag well. stock 2s are still not legal for idpa, secondary to the length of the bull barrel. the stock 3 simply weighs too much, although perhaps it could be lightened enough to make weight if taken from the inside of the frame or slide.

• 3 months later...

Isn't the limited

Pro too long to fit in the box. I just saw the podcast of Ben S.

Well most IDPA boxes are wooden, and you can push it in :) He said if the boxes are metal then.... However, even with wooden boxes, I can imagine stages where you start from picking the gun up from the box can be tough :)

• 3 weeks later...

I was interested in the Tanfoglio's too, but the information on EAA's web site stopped me from looking into it. All we have is IDPA close, so I have to have something legal for that.

The elite match is shown on the EAA site as 44 ounces, so it needs to go on a diet. I also believe it's single action only, so no SSP anyway.

The Stock 1 Cone barrel. It's DA/SA, so if not for the cone barrel, would probably make it into SSP.

The Stock 2 Cone barrel and full dust cover, but it's DA/SA, so if not for the cone barrel, it might have made it.

The elite limited pro 9" long (1/4 too long for the box)...maybe cut 1/4 inch off that long tail.

Anyways, I don't think any of them are legal out of the box.

You can use the regular Witness and it's a nice gun, but it lacks the glamour of the others.

We have a few that compete with them, and a local gunsmith that knows them well, but I haven't talked to them about how they made them legal yet.

The stats on EAA website are often grossly incorrect. Namely the Limited Pro OAL.

Stock 1: Out because of the cone barrel at least. This is probably the only reason though.

Stock 2: Out because of the cone barrel, and it is over weight. It actually does weigh 44oz. To lighten it you'd have to take metal off the frame somewhere; no aftermarket grips are going to be lighter than the wood stockers. Maybe possible; I don't know. But the discussion is moot because of the cone barrel. Taking weight off the frame even internally might not be SSP legal either (not sure) and if it isn't SSP legal, it would be out for ESP anyway because of the FLDC.

Stock 3: Heavier than the Stock 2... way over weight, going to be bang-on/very close photo finish on length, like the Limited Pro (see below)... but discussion is moot because you are never getting that sucker under 43oz.

Limited Pro: Best candidate for IDPA SSP at least. It is actually VERY close on overall length. It literally depends on which frame, and which box you get. I've only ever found one box that mine won't quite go into. It has made it into all the wood boxes I've tried. Also the width: I can't use the factory limited pro safety for ergonomic reasons, so I put a factory safety on it that is the same one that comes on the Stock 2. It is very, very close to the max overall width dimension with the stock 2 style safety. I believe it would be over with the out-of-the-box safety. If this is a concern, you could just go to a single sided safety and have no worries. Luckily there are lots of factory options on safeties to choose from that should all be SSP legal. Weight: Again, very close, but you should be good to go as long as you don't add anything. If you start adding metal grips and whatnot, you could hit the line very quickly. To be every box/every scale legal, you can, if you want, shave a few mm off the beavertail and saftey, and roll in ESP. In SSP you take your chances on which box you get, it is that close.

I would not want to start a stage having to pull this gun out of the box though. My opinion, that is an unfair/unequal start position that can heavily favor one gun over another and should not be something that is done, but you do run across it from time to time.

What they need to do is make a Stock 2 length Limited Pro (A 4.5" gun with straight barrel and shorter dust cover)... It would be a fantastic gun that would be every box/every scale legal, and be a great shooter.

Also, all the Tanfoglio "competition frames" are identical except for dust cover length. This includes the Stock 2,3, Limited Pro, Limited, and Open guns. The Stock 1 has a different frame with less stippling and a smaller magwell.

Given that you go to one of the smaller factory safetys, for SSP the OAL is close enough to depend on variances in the individual frame and box. You can't make a blanket statement, and there is no "approved gun" list in IDPA.

You could ENSURE legality in ESP in all boxes by shaving down the beavertail and/or safety as needed.

Stock 1/2/3 are definitely illegal in all divisions.

Edited by ny32182

I find it hard to believe that with today's digital machining processes, the frames vary by as much as 1/4 inch. I would believe it of local IDPA boxes though.

8.2.1.4.1 would not allow the shaving of the beavertail for SSP (no visible mods).

With shaving of the beavertail though, I would think the limited pro would be legal in ESP.

I've heard you can shave an ounce off the elite match rail to make it legal for ESP too.

I like the limited pro better myself. I would rather have something that doesn't wear as much....oh well, time to start saving before a quest to find one.

Hmm, sure 'nuff. And if it is legal for SSP, it is automatically legal for ESP. Oops.

Correct, but doesn't it have to meet all other SSP requirements if used in ESP (ie. no ESP specific modifications)? If so, what does this gain you, other than being able to start cocked-n-locked, and classifying in ESP with the same gun as you classified in SSP?

That's it really.

i have 3 lim pros, and all fit the box and all make weight by .5 oz, one has a somewhat shorter beavertail (tanfo casting is not exact). if you want to go ESP, you can add a magwell and go single action if you want. light grips are a must with this configuation to make weight. A smaller safety also helps.

I think the SSP rules were moved to 8.2. I could not find any mention of cone or bull barrels so I guess they are fine as long as you can meet the 43 ounce weight maximum with a magazine inserted. That might be a problem for some of the Tanfos.