Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to Budget the Money?

Ron Rodgers

ok guys, this is a quiz ………

The USPSA Area 13 Championship Match staff is discussing finances. All funds remaining after expenses will be distributed to the competitors. Options are to spend it on shooter gifts, prize money, or some combination. Lets say you have a total amount of $25 to $30 per shooter to work with. Which of the following options would you vote for? Also - what kind of shooter gift would you like to get (given the amount there is available)?

And no - lowering the entry fee is not an option.

If lowering the entry fee isn't an option(it should be), then cash is king. Shooter gifts? Does anyone really expect to get gifts just for going to a match?

A friend of mine won his class at a Section Championship match last year. His cash prize wasn't enough to cover his match fee. Shouldn't someone who shoots good enough to win his class at least make back his match fee?

Area 13? Who says the sport isn't growing?

Bullets. Give bullets. No matter how well you finished, you gonna need bullets.

But, lady shooters should have the option of bullets or roses. On second thought, guys might need roses to get back in the house after spending the weekend at a match.

Bullets & roses then. It's settled! B)

I can honestly saw that the onlt shooter gift I have ever used was the gun covers.

Take the money and put it into the prize pot. If you win your class you should at least get your match fee back. I've shot several matches and won my class and have received less money than from a winning at a local match.... :wacko:

IMHO shooter gifts are best left to charity matches like the Toys for Tots match I shot a couple of months ago.

At any other match I prefer to earn anything I get, even if lots of times I get nothing beyond the experience.

After voting for cash John's argument for cupie dolls sort of stuck with me. By the time I finished reading all the comments I had changed my mind. Since you have $25 to $30 to work with per shooter why not make it a really memorable experience and give away lap dances? :P

• 1 month later...

With the exception of Summer Blast (which donates to charity) I will only work matches that give the maximum back to the shooter. In South Carolina at our section match we use entry fees only for match expenses like printing costs, targets, pasters, plaques, the ad in Front Sight, USPSA fees, and a banquet that all shooters attend free. We support our ROs & staff with the profits from shirt sales (most folks will tell you I sell those shirts pretty aggressively!).

After that every penny is used to reward Division & class winners. If we have more money, we pay more places.

Anything donated by vendors & sponsors is placed into a drawing. Every shooter is eligible for the drawing.

Linda Chico