Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to me 1050

Well about 2 weeks ago I ran across a deal on a Super 1050 that was to good to pass up. Set it up on the bench, added dies and conversion kit to switch to 9mm. It came set up for .223.

Needed some small tweaks to get it going just right. Then I added in the Mr Bullet feeder and after another few small tweaks (by now I had loaded 500 rounds just getting it set up!) now it's just humming along.

My biggest complaint is that I can't feel the primer being seated, or not seated like I could on my 650, and I did have several un-primed cases. one of my tweaks was to thoroughly clean the primer feed areas and primer feeder magazine which solved it so far. So I find my self catching the finished round as they are ejected from the machine to check for primers and this takes away from looking into the case for powder.

tips on Proper lubrication? Mobil one on the shaft? Keep under shell plate dry?

Thanks.

about 95% of the time a primer insertion problem happens on my 1050, I can feel it...its there, you just have to be aware.

Mobil 1 on the shaft is fine, its what I use. and a light coating in-between the shell plate and the shell plate hold down plate.

Keep the swage rod (with the zerk) greased.

break it down every year or so and repack the main bearings.

the book is your friend :)

jj

The bearing kit is a great upgrade for the 650, I rate it only as so-so for the 1050.

With regard to unprimed cases, it's almost certainly that little plastic primer feed thing (dillon calls it the primer oriface) on the bottom of the primer tube. Make sure that's in good shape. Also I've found it helps to add a little low-strength locktite to the top bushing so that it doesn't spin freely, and then don't tighten it up as much. You need a very light touch when screwing the top bushing of the primer system on or you can risk crushing the plastic thing and distorting it to the point that primers don't feed freely.

Also call dillon and order about 5 or 10 extra primer orifaces. For a part that fails so often you'd think you could order it online but you can't for some reason. It's just not on their web site.

Haven't I read that people are gluing a heavy 45 caliber bullet to the top of their primer follower rod to improve primer feeding on their 1050? Maybe try that out as a cheap fix.

45 case with a deep bullet or some wright in it.

i heat shrink to the top instead of glue.

First, check the rubber tubing on the post at the back of the primer slide. You want the part of the tubing that "touches" to always be in perfect condition, showing absolutely no wear or "denting."

You can either rotate it a bit, or buy foot of it at an auto parts store - which will last you forever.

Then with that variable removed, this is what made my 1050's priming system 100% reliable: Add or remove the .001" shims from under part# 13108, until - with the machine at rest - drop a single primer down the primer magazine tube, and it should drop into its hole in the primer slide - 10 times in a row.

be

First, check the rubber tubing on the post at the back of the primer slide. You want the part of the tubing that "touches" to always be in perfect condition, showing absolutely no wear or "denting."

You can either rotate it a bit, or buy foot of it at an auto parts store - which will last you forever.

Then with that variable removed, this is what made my 1050's priming system 100% reliable: Add or remove the .001" shims from under part# 13108, until - with the machine at rest - drop a single primer down the primer magazine tube, and it should drop into its hole in the primer slide - 10 times in a row.

be

Thanks will mess with the shiming #13108 as I'm not quite at 100%

I run all mine without that rubber tube now. As long as you adjust it without the tube, it's not really necessary to have that on there. Just don't raise the arm too high or it'll pop out on the back stroke.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is the problem specific to a Super 1050? My 1050 is an original with the nickel frame and It has never skipped a primer. I am going to give it a once over. I like the way the primer seats I can adjust a light almost crush and never have a high primer.