Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TS frame reduction

cpa5oh

Anyone know who provides the service of TS frame reductions? Is CZ Custom the only shop/gunsmith that does this? (I can do a lot of stuff, but anything that requires a sort of artists touch I'm out on - I'd f it all up.)

I know CZC does it - it'd be worth asking them for a quote then you can balance the pros and cons of doing it yourself or having another handy gunsmith do it. A guy in my local club did his and his wife's TS, but he didn't refinish them just shiny metal. So there's another cost to add on top of the filing down the checkering if you want it pretty again.

Stuart - Do you know if Gary Kimball (gkcustoms@comcast.net) set up to do TS reductions?

I am sure Gary would be more than able to do a reduction on the TS.

He is primarily a custom 1911 builder, but I have seen him do some amazing rifle work and he built my original Springfield P9 open gun, welding up the beavertail, checkering front and rear and welding a magwell and building the comp.

1/4" Pneumatic Die Grinder, 1 inch x 1 inch, 1/4 inch spindle flap wheel. Smooth from beaver tail to bottom of frame in smooth even strokes. These flapper wheels can remove allot of material quickly, so not much pressure is required. Watch the checkering as you cut it down to make sure your removing material evenly. Easily blends everything in together.

Dumb-ass question - once you do the frame reduction, do you HAVE TO have the gun coated/finished? I don't care how my stuff looks at all...grip tape where I need to have some traction and I'm happy. Rust is no good, though - that kinda goes beyond just looking ugly.

I didn't refinish one of the TS's that I did yet. It's been 2 years, and no rust. I use grip tape on the front and back. The other one I did, I had hard chromed at Metaloy. The flap wheel method leaves a pretty shiny finish once your done anyway. The pretty TS doesn't seem to shoot any faster than the unfinished TS.

Edited by ohsevenflhx

Did the "frame reduction" and undercutting last night - I basically removed the checkering, undercut the trigger guard by the mag release, and removed some metal from up under the beavertail.

I used 1" x 1" flap wheels (60 grit) as was suggested by another poster. I don't have air tools, so I bought an electric die grinder from Harbor Freight for $50. I went through basically 1.5 flap wheels.

On the front strap, I made a mistake and used a grinding stone in the die grinder to remove the checkering - ended up with some gouging. The flap wheels take material off much more slowly and uniformly - I only went to the grinding stone because I was worried the three flap wheels weren't going to be enough (used one just on the backstrap.) Should've just used all flap wheels to the finish.

It doesn't look great, and front to back the measurement with a dial caliper is still larger than on a Shadow (2.14x" vs. 2.04x".) Seems to feel pretty good - I'll shoot it tonight or tomorrow.

Now to figure out how to cut the dust cover back...

post-38045-0-82279600-1421501105_thumb.j

post-38045-0-42068800-1421501114_thumb.j

You can always pickup some more flap wheels, and clean it up a little. I have the air compressor, die grinder, and flap wheels on hand all the time. I suppose it could get pricey to have to purchase all these items. The flap wheels do bring it to a nice finish. Just take your time and blend everything in together for a flowing finish. That way when you get the frame coated it will be smooth.

Edited by ohsevenflhx

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...