Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How well do you know your older Tanfoglios?

Rdot84

Okay, So i've tried this twice before, and your forum keeps rejecting my post, because I'm trying to post pictures for you guys, but I don't have enough prior activity. I asked for some help over at the CZ clone club, and a member recommended I ask over here as well. I recently aquired a EAA Tanfoglio Witness in .40 s&w from a local gun shop. As usual I started my research on my new purchase, and stripped it down for a thorough cleaning and lubrication. In my research I came across the date code chart, and began my search for the boxed letter combo, only to come up empty handed. The only markings on the exterior of the pistol are the proof house mark, proof rating mark, and manufacturer's proof mark. These three marks are located on the butt of the pistol, behind the magazine well. The only other mark I was able to find is inside of the frame in the barrel channel, where there is a 3AA stamped. Does anyone know what the 3AA stands for, or where i may be able to locate a date code? Thanks in advance for your help! -Ryan

p.s. how many post before i can upload pictures?

You can email me the pictures and I'll post them: kneelingatlas@gmail.com

If you want to know the date of import, sent the serial number to sharon@eaacorp.com.

If the serial starts with AE it's pretty 2005, I have three with serial numbers 15xxx, 20xxx and 22xxx all imported in 1992.

44 views and only one member willing/able to help a brother out? With a group of guys so deeply involved with a brand of pistol, I was expecting more of a response. There are no fellow gun junkies here, that have gone down this path before, and can offer advice or guidance?

Rdot84> Instead of getting butt hurt about forum members not being able to figure out the vintage of your EAA blaster for you, why not call EAA directly? If you give them the serial number of the pistol they should be able to give you the exact manufacturing date of the firearm. Why wouldn't you start by doing this in the first place?

Rdot84> Instead of getting butt hurt about forum members not being able to figure out the vintage of your EAA blaster for you, why not call EAA directly? If you give them the serial number of the pistol they should be able to give you the exact manufacturing date of the firearm. Why wouldn't you start by doing this in the first place?

To be fair I guess he assumed after all the help he's given people here over the years we'd all get straight onto massimo tanfoglio for him.... Oh that's right this was his first post.

Btw 44 views means 44 members took the time to read your post and see if they could help. Since they could offer nothing beyond what was posted they did the right thing and posted nothing.

Did you want 43 people to post "sorry I can't help you"?

Cha Lee - Thanks for trying to translate my emotion through the internet, but you missed your mark a little. Im not butt sore at all. Actually im thankful for the help I have received thus far. Also, I have emailed Tanfoglio of Italy, and I am awaiting a response, which I have been told may take a few weeks. In the mean while, I did a google search to try and satisfy my curiosity, and ended up here.

Beerbear - I'd be willing to bet im not the only member on these forums that ended up here through a search, and them asked a question. In fact, I'd be willing to be that more than half the members ended up here this way. Sorry I haven't had time to make a useful contribution to this forum yet. Im glad you are able to be a constructive, and useful member on this forum though!! You offer such great insight! I understand that everyone doesn't know the answer to my question, but on a forum full of people, who have dedicated their lives to modifying and shooting a specific make of pistol, im sorry for being surprised that no one was able to offer me advice.

Does EAA put serial numbers on them after they arrive here, or are serial numbers done by Tanfoglio before shipment to US?

I would assume that all firearms that are Imported into the US must already have serial numbers on them. If not I am sure that would get the ATF pretty excited. I would assume that EAA gives Tanfoglio a range of serial numbers to put on the EAA branded pistols while they are manufactured in Italy.

I've never seen one with the marks on the butt. All the models I've seen (from years 1974,1986, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2012) have the marks near the trigger on the frame.

Mine which looks like the OP doesn't have markings on the butt either. I bet it was made for export to another country that required markings there and somehow that pistol made it's way into the USA?

If we misinterpreted the tone and meaning of your post then I'm sorry. it certainly sounded to me like a complaint that all these people viewed your thread but only one helped you.

I was quite serious though that probably most of those 44 people like me viewed the thread, thought about it for a minute, realised I had absolutely zero help to give you and moved on not wanting to clog the works up with "sorry bro I have no idea".

You've been given a pathway that may solve the problem for you. Ring EAA. I know even in my little colony when I wanted to know when a pistol was made (I was looking to buy it used) I rang the local importer and he gave me an answer over the phone.

I've never seen one with the marks on the butt. All the models I've seen (from years 1974,1986, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2012) have the marks near the trigger on the frame.

Mine which looks like the OP doesn't have markings on the butt either. I bet it was made for export to another country that required markings there and somehow that pistol made it's way into the USA?

I don't think so. His is marked EAA Witness. They are only so branded for the US market. Everywhere else they are Tanfoglio and other various models but not a Witness (which is a weird model name to me for a pistol).

I don't think you'll find another sub forum on Enos as helpful as the Tanfo one. 43 posts of others saying they don't know the answer just messes up the feed. Go to the source always ie Tanfo/EAA is my best advice.

I don't think so. His is marked EAA Witness. They are only so branded for the US market. Everywhere else they are Tanfoglio and other various models but not a Witness (which is a weird model name to me for a pistol).

What's been happening Baron? How's that Open gun been running? My big sticks are running great and still trying to find the perfect powder recipe but mine shooting like a dream;-)

mate it's been running great. Got the henning magwell on and henning bases now which is nice. still have to do the trigger etc. I actually had my first EVER malf with the gun the other day which is amazing to me. it was a failure to feed. just didn't quite go into battery (tapped the slide and it went in and fired fine). gun had been run longer than usual without a clean so perhaps just a piece of gunk held it up. but still amazing that I've shot quite a few rounds through it now without a single other malf of any kind.

glad to hear the big sticks are running and that you're still chasing the perfect load (aren't we all!). I'm still running my 10.4gn of 3N38 behind a 124gn RN CMJ. love it.

you picked up a sweet deal on that gun. :)

anyway, won't clog up this thread any more, but maybe post an update on your load in the reloading thread. :)

Im glad to report that Sharon of EAA has returned my email request. "This witness steel 40sw was imported in 04/1998." The individual on the other forum was way off when he told me 1978.. It makes me glad that I take the time to follow through with my research, instead of taking the first answer i'm given. Another Thanks to Kneelingatlas for his guidance in my quest!!

The individual on the other forum was way off when he told me 1978.. It makes me glad that I take the time to follow through with my research, instead of taking the first answer i'm given. Another Thanks to Kneelingatlas for his guidance in my quest!!

What "other forum"?!? there is no other forum! :roflol:

What did you get when you came here? "Id be really surprised if it were that old... I'm guessing late '90s, early 2000s."

Boom! that's all you need :cheers: