Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

safe glock 9x19 major

openglock34

i am using a glock 34 open gun, kkm barrel with 3 hybrid ports and a 3 port titanium comp. i just recently got a dillon 550 and started reloading. i was given some 115 gr bullets and am using tite group powder. as starting data i was thinking of going with 7.5 gr and the 115 gr bullet and an oal of 1.17 does anyone know if this will blow up my gun because of excessive pressure, or if i need to go with the 124 grain only. i will usually be using 124 grain but the 115 grains i recieved for free. what do you think?

Titegroup is really fast. One of the goals in open is to use more grains of a slower powder. You want to produce as much gas as possible. The more gas you have the more efficient the comp will be. Titegroup might work for a minor steel load.

9mm Major Load Data Take a look at this thread to get some ideas of what people are using for 9major. Good luck.

Oh yeah. If you have to ask "Does anyone know if this will blow up my gun because of excessive pressure" then you might want to start 10% lower and chronograph. Then check for pressure signs. Good luck.

Guest Larry Cazes

Definitely do some basic research by going to the above mentioned link and seeing if your load is relatively similiar to some of the posted Mjaor loads using similiar components. As 40AET stated if you have to ask, then I would be concerned. Keep in mind that you will most likely be exceeding the listed 9mm loads from the powder manufacturers to reach major PF and the pressure may be close or exceeding SAAMI specs. What this all boils down to is use caution, good judgment, and do lots of research before you proceed.

thank you for the useful info. i think that i will back off ten to be safe. the only reason i am starting with 7.5 is because someone at the range i shoot at shoots an open glock with 8+ grains but he is using 124 grain bullets and not 115. so leading to my next question. what is the difference say with 7.5 grains in a 115 gr bullet as opposed to the same load in a 124 gr bullet. is there more pressure in either of the rounds. does the 115 gr have more velocity because it is a lighter bullet? is it more dangerous to put the same load that you would use for a 124gr bullet in a round using a 115gr? sorry if i may sound a little slow here but i am just starting reloading for my open gn and want to get started the right way. maybe dangerous isnt the best word, does it have the potential to be more dangerous i guess. i hope you guys know what i mean because i have the tendency to know what i want to say but not be able to say what im thinking.

Generally, if you load x amount of powder with a heavier bullet, that same x amount will generally launch a lighter bullet faster with less pressure all other things being equal (same brass, primer, powder, crimp, seating depth, etc). You cannot go the other way however. So say I am using 9 grains of a certain powder with a 124. If I use that same 9 grains with a 115 that would be ok. Generally you can also increse that amount of powder a certain amount to hit the same pressure as the other load with the heavier bullet and you will usually get more velocity. However if you start with a heavy charge of powder with a light bullet, you cannot use the same amount of powder in the heavier bullet load. Pressures will be too great.

I hope this clears things up. You will of course have to check things like accuracy and if you are getting an efficient burn. Some powders don't like to be loaded with light bullets, you may get a dirtier combination (unburned powder).

Vince

thanks alot, that is exactly what i was looking for. for what its worth i was told from a friend that the powder i am using is not titegroup it is just in a titegroup container (it came from him) so i will have to find out from him exactly what it is before i say things im not sure of. from what i hear from you all its good its not tite group as you say titegroup is a faster burning powder that i do not want.

thanks alot, that is exactly what i was looking for. for what its worth i was told from a friend that the powder i am using is not titegroup it is just in a titegroup container (it came from him) so i will have to find out from him exactly what it is before i say things im not sure of. from

Do yourself a favor, get rid of the powder!!!!! Storing gun powder in a container that is NOT properly marked is NOT a good situation, ESPECIALLY if you got it from someone else AND you DO NOT KNOW what it is!!!!!!!!!!!

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING!!!! DANGER, DANGER, DANGER!

thanks alot, that is exactly what i was looking for. for what its worth i was told from a friend that the powder i am using is not titegroup it is just in a titegroup container (it came from him) so i will have to find out from him exactly what it is before i say things im not sure of. from

Do yourself a favor, get rid of the powder!!!!! Storing gun powder in a container that is NOT properly marked is NOT a good situation, ESPECIALLY if you got it from someone else AND you DO NOT KNOW what it is!!!!!!!!!!!

DITTO!!!

All I know is 8.0 gr. of Titegroup is 44 magnum country. If your friend has made a mistake and what's in that bottle actually turns out to be Titegroup, you might as well just run your gun through a bandsaw right now and save yourself a hospital trip. You will blow it to smithereens, plain and simple.

I'm sorry if I seem like even more of a curmudgeon than usual here, but dammit, stop doing this kind of stuff. If you light off a hand-grenade, it's not just you that's in danger. What about the others around you? What about the RO and the scorekeeper? What about the folks in the gallery? "Well...gee...my buddy and I decided to play musical gunpowder containers..." is not going to cut it as a reason for why someone on my squad has to go to the hospital to have shrapnel removed from their face.

One other thing. You shouldn't be loading ANYBODY'S pet load without consulting the manufacturers' load data first. I don't give a damn WHO they are. If Guy Neil gave me a pet load, I would open up my reloading manual first just to check just where it was in relation to the max. charge listed. Even Guy probably makes typo every eon or so. Virtually every powder manufacturer provides free load data via the internet now, so there's just no excuse for not having it. You should always do a sanity check against the manufacturers data. If you had done this you would have seen that 4.8 gr is the max. permissible charge for Titegroup for any bullet and that 8.0 gr is obviously an outrageous overcharge.

Dump that powder. I shall spare you my other opinions.

/End of Sermon.

Well, enough said about that powder. Look at some powders like True Blue, Silouhette, and HS-6 are three of the powders that will make major in 9mm. That should get you started. You need to do some homework before you go any further. Study the load data for major 9 for a long time and think about what the other guys are doing before you run out and try it yourself. If your freind isn't reloading for major 9 then don't use his advice. Loading for .40 or .45 is a lot safer than the major 9. Some of the loads that I have looked at are 1.0g over max load data. When you're pushing the load past recommended limits, you need to be careful.

Don't dump that powder! Pour it into a neat pile someplace non-flammable, toss in a match and stand back. Mucho fun, and a lot more likely to keep your fingers than loading 8 grains of mystery powder in a 9x19 case.

ok on to plan B then. which powder would you reccomend that i get. i know that vihta vouri makes good powder i also hear it is one of the more expensive. knowing what kind of loads i am looking for what would you suggest and where can i buy some at at decent deal?

Openglock34, When I was running my open glock(Built by our own MadScientist) G17 KKM with the same comp you are using. I was using 8.0grs HS-6 with a Montana Gold 124gr FMJ. Gave me 167pf. I tried a few other powders SP2,HS7 but the hs6 gave the best reults. I did use TG for minor steel loads 5grs with the same bullet. Good luck and be carefull.

thank you for the info. it seems like we all learned something today. for those who are as new to loading as me, they will learn from my potential mistakes. i learned to buy some hs6 and do it right from the beginning. and you all (the people who replied) learned that no matter what just when you think youve heard it all someone like me comes along and lets you say "now thats a (potential) moron" to help you brighten your day......potential because i submitted this post before having the chance to blow something up thanks again, you havent heard the last of me

To further the line of thought a bit.

- Anybody new to reloading should likley start out with something that isn't on the "cutting edge". (and, Major 9 in a Glock is out on the edge)

- And, the new reloader should have a few reloading manuals...and read them (not just use them as recipe books). There is lots of good info in those manuals...they explain a lot of things that your buddies (here and at the range) will miss.

- Too long of an OAL and the ammo won't run in your Glock mags. (Too short and you increase case pressure.)

- HS6 and 125-135g bullet would be a better place to start. (Load 45ACP would be even better.)

I am wondering why it took so long for someone to say what Flex just did. Major 9 is *not* the place to start as newbie reloader! Some even say it is *not* the place to be for any reloader. Do yourself (and anyone in your house and on your range) a favor and learn the ropes. Start with the 45. Double charge? Wrong powder? Wrong bullet weight? Wrong seating depth? Might cost you a .45 barrel, but everyone will walk away in good health. Not so with Major 9...

Detlef

isnt that illegal to transport as well?

:unsure:

look into 8.0 grains of HS6 and 135 grain bullet, thats what TGO used in a 9X21 back in the day at 175 pf.

look into 8.0 grains of HS6 and 135 grain bullet, thats what TGO used in a 9X21 back in the day at 175 pf.

?!?!?

I don't know that TGO's load should be used either. He isn't shooting in a Glock (thus, he might be loading longer). And, 175pf is hooter than needed here.