Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MGM flashers are sort of the gold standard at majors. They are a 10" circle w/ a 5" rectangular head on top. (15" overall height)

Most matches don't use full size IPSC silhouettes unless its over 400.

Like Bikerburgess said, 4 MOA is a good rule of thumb, but I like to practice down to about 2.5 minute targets to build confidence.

The size guidelines above are accurate. Most matches will use self-resetting reactive steel targets of various types. I suggest you Google "LaRue Sniper Target" and "MGM Flash Target" for some examples, but there are many others.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

As far as rifle targets go, I understand they should be AR500 steel, is that right? Is there a thickness that is necessary? 1/2"

What about steel pistol targets, is there any reason to use AR500, or can I use mild steel?

My company has agreed to allow me to purchase the steel and use the CNC plasma table to cut out anything I want. All I need to do is pay for the steel. So I was thinking of getting a some rifle targets and pistol targets, but didn't know if I needed to use AR500 for both just at different thicknesses.

I've been quite pleased with 3/8s ar500 for rifle and any old mild steel for pistol, just take the time to occasionally inspect the mild steel for cupping and rotate before it gets bad. If your planning on shooting anything 338LM or bigger 1/2 ar500 is a must, or so I'm told by the local long range guys. I don't think you want to use a plasma cutter on ar500 though, the heat will destroy the temper around the edges and any hits will mess up your targets.

I just went to MGM targets, even with free shipping & 10% off ($20) they still come to over 200 each for a standard pepper popper.. my cutting source is 100% free to me and I've located a local source for scrap AR steel (drop) at an extremely cheap price. So I can do the poppers for myself at around 40-60 each.. I work in a custom steel fab shop

I build quite a few targets. Cutting method is fairly important, waterjet is best (that's what I use), laser is second, and plasma third. AR400 will last pretty much forever shooting it with pistols, anything getting hit with rifles needs AR500. 3/8" thick will work for most applications but I do step up to 1/2" when I'm shooting .338 or bigger. Put some thought into how the rifle targets are mounted, the easier they move the longer they will last. As stated earlier, make the rifle targets 4MOA or larger and your shooters will be happy.

Edited by presadad

I think you can do pistol targets from ar400 mild steel will get destroyed pretty quickly.

Actually this depends a lot on what type of target you're making. The standard knock down 5x5 plates in 3/8" A36 mild steel will hold up just fine to 9mm through .45. Same goes for hanging plates. As long as it isn't rigid A36 will take the abuse from the pistols we commonly us in competition.