Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to set up SP-01 for IPSC

WalkerArmory

Hey all...I'm working on acquiring a CZ75 SP-01 very soon to set up for a new competition gun. I shoot mainly IPSC (Limited) and 3-gun. I'm wondering how you guys would recommend setting up a basic SP-01 for this?

Here are my ideas to start with (and any links to specific parts would be awesome!):

- 140 mm magazines with maximum capacity for limited IPSC

- Magwell that is IPSC legal and works with above magazines

- Holster for the SP-01 and mags

- I'm left handed and would like a left handed extended safety

- Which trigger/hammer set up do you guys recommend for this set up? Either DA/SA or SAO possibly if IPSC/3-gun legal?

What else am I missing that's an awesome upgrade for the stock pistols that I'm not thinking of?

Parts and answers don't seem as available for the SP-01's compared to the poly wonders...though I don't know why because the SP-01 rocks!

Thanks!

In my understanding and experience in IPSC is that you had:

Open= Open

Standard= Limited

Production= Production

Classic= Single Stack

Revolver= Revolver

But the big difference between Limited and Standard is that Standard has to fit into the IPSC box.

Production need to be OEM parts.

So, to clarify, which division do you normally participate in?

Ok if you want to run in limited consider buying a tactical sport instead. It's sao out of the box, comes with magwell and is the cz gun best suited to limited. The sp01 can be made competitive in limited too but it's real home is in production.

you mean standard as in production division? I typically shoot limited division...I thought 140mm was the magazine limit for limited?

For those of us that are totally confused....are you

A. Located in the US, shooting Limited division in USPSA?

B. Located outside of the US, shooting Standard Division in IPSC?

C. Other?

ipsc is standard.

uspsa is either limited OR limited 10.

since he stated shooting IPSC the class he refer to is STANDARD which i guess is limited to 10 round mags.

in case OP is shooting ipsc standard the CZ tactical sport in 40 is the ticket if CZ is the brand of predilection here. SA is nearly mandatory, standard guns are mostly SA's , except glocks and some other poly guns. since score count isn't the same whether you shoot major or minor PF, 40 is the caliber of predilection as far as you reload.

Edited by sigsauerfan

I may be wrong, but it sounds to me like the OP is in the USA, shooting limited in USPSA and 3gun but just calls it IPSC/ipsick as many people do.

sigsauerfan. no restriction on rounds in the IPSC rules for 'standard' just that the gun with a mag inserted must fit 'the box'. IPSC standard is the match for limited, basically free to do as you please but no compensator, no red dot sight and no barrel holes/ports.... as for the other divisions open = open and has no box but has a limit of 170mm for mags. production = production but unlike USPSA IPSC rules have a 15 round limit for production and much tougher rules on mods/trigger jobs etc. single stack = classic and fairly similar rules as well.

Anyway, if the OP is happy to shoot limited minor then a 9mm TS is a great option to consider. longer sight radius than a SP01 is nice to have.

Wouldn't a lefty want a right hand extended safety?

Yeah, he would. I'm a lefty, and I put the extended safety on mine a few days ago. Zero fitting, but lots o' learning to take the beast apart far enough to switch out the safety. Beware-- the infamous pin #9 and the LS safety detent plunger and spring, and the RS safety detent plunger will fall out after you remove the sear cage. Best to have them fall where they are easy to recover if this is your first time.

The extended safety is well worth the (choke!) $75.