Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Faxon Pencil Barrel-What comp

gerritm

Never had such a lightweight barrel before. 16" mid-gas, weighs 1#19oz. I normally have Seekins comps on my guns. Anyone have an idea of what will work. Trying to keep the weight/length down. Have no problem putting another Seekins on it.

gerritm

Would that be a good idea for a thin barrel? Flexing might be an issue?

That is what I was thinking it might be too heavy. Need light and small. I have a Nordic Tact comp on another lightweight rifle, but it is not a pencil barrel. But it may work.

I will contact Tim. Thanks.

gerritm

I just IM'd you back....our little comp fits the contour of the .625 barrel and weighs 1 ounce.

The Nordic Tac Comp would be a good alternative as well, it's less than 2 ounces I believe.

Did you mean 1 pound 1.9 ounces on the barrel? The one we have in the shop are just under 1 pound 3 ounces with the plastic sleeves on.

Tim

+1 on the Taccom comp. One of my squadmates got one off the prize table at the 3GN Western Regionals, and it was indeed very light and compact. He put it on a featherweight build and has been very happy with the performance vs size. Of course, then you need the ultralight buffer assembly, and lightened carrier, and all the V7 titanium parts, and.................. :)

Here's a little video of the Taccom compensator. It's small and very effective. As someone said before he makes one with a .625" diameter for pencil barrels

Taccom Compensator and Elf Elftmann Trigger:

Oh.....thanks for sharing.....I'm gonna put that on the TACCOM FB page......very nice!!

Here's a little video of the Taccom compensator. It's small and very effective. As someone said before he makes one with a .625" diameter for pencil barrels

Taccom Compensator and Elf Elftmann Trigger:

Oh.....thanks for sharing.....I'm gonna put that on the TACCOM FB page......very nice!!

That is really impressive, anything else done to the gun?

gerritm

Would that be a good idea for a thin barrel? Flexing might be an issue?

That is what I was thinking it might be too heavy. Need light and small. I have a Nordic Tact comp on another lightweight rifle, but it is not a pencil barrel. But it may work.

I will contact Tim. Thanks.

gerritm

MAG Tactical has a good come that they use on their pencil barrels. IV8888 has had some good things to say about the system.

Here's a little video of the Taccom compensator. It's small and very effective. As someone said before he makes one with a .625" diameter for pencil barrelsTaccom Compensator and Elf Elftmann Trigger:

That is really impressive, anything else done to the gun?gerritm

I have the Taccom adjustable lightweight buffer, JP lightweight carrier, and an adjustable gas block

TACCOM's gas key and ULW kit is fantastic. Don't hesitate to include them in your build!

I looked on your website, which one for the mid gas system of this pencil barrel? You show carbine and rifle length. I have a gas key.

Gerrit

Just finished the lightweight build. Final weight, just over 7lbs. My normal Seekins build with Nordic 18" barrel, Vltor stock, Vortex Razor HD scope weighs 10.2lbs.

NIB coated upper: Stock lower.

CMC trigger:

Faxon 16" pencil barrel, 1-8 twist

Vltor .625 gas block

Taccom .625 comp

Taccom light carbine buffer/spring

Stock weight BCG with RCA adjustable key

Sampsom Evo Handguard

Battlelink minimalist stock

Primary Arms 1x6 scope and mount

Weather was cold/rainy, for SE Texas-- mid 40's. 55gr Federal XM193, Independence XM193, Zeroed at 50 yards. Group was touching. Ran it from 120 to 450 yards. Hit everything in between. Very accurate with no problems. I did not get a chance to do much fast/double tap shooting, yet. So far it seems to be fast and fairly flat.

Interesting problem with the Independence ammo. Set the RCA gas adjustment to this ammo. Ran the Federal 100%, ran my 69gr reloads 100%, but had several FTE, FTF's with this ammo. Very inconsistent. Not sure if it was the cold. Didn't cycle completely.

May get to shoot a match next weekend with it. So far excellent build.

gerritm

post-23808-0-82260000-1421064568_thumb.j

post-23808-0-52106800-1421064577_thumb.j

Just finished the lightweight build. Final weight, just over 7lbs. My normal Seekins build with Nordic 18" barrel, Vltor stock, Vortex Razor HD scope weighs 10.2lbs.

NIB coated upper: Stock lower.

CMC trigger:

Faxon 16" pencil barrel, 1-8 twist

Vltor .625 gas block

Taccom .625 comp

Taccom light carbine buffer/spring

Stock weight BCG with RCA adjustable key

Sampsom Evo Handguard

Battlelink minimalist stock

Primary Arms 1x6 scope and mount

Weather was cold/rainy, for SE Texas-- mid 40's. 55gr Federal XM193, Independence XM193, Zeroed at 50 yards. Group was touching. Ran it from 120 to 450 yards. Hit everything in between. Very accurate with no problems. I did not get a chance to do much fast/double tap shooting, yet. So far it seems to be fast and fairly flat.

Interesting problem with the Independence ammo. Set the RCA gas adjustment to this ammo. Ran the Federal 100%, ran my 69gr reloads 100%, but had several FTE, FTF's with this ammo. Very inconsistent. Not sure if it was the cold. Didn't cycle completely.

gerritm

That's exactly the performance we would expect for accuracy.

The Independence is not surprising either. I had issues with a spattering of the ammo in an ARAK awhile back. It decided to crop up during a 3-gun championship match.

Never trusting it again...

I have used it before in my standard rifle without the adjustable gas key and it seemed to be OK. No real issues. Can tell the inconsistency with the gas key adjustments.

We didn't stay long cause of the weather, but I was playing around with my 69gr SMK hand loads at about 480 yards with a 10" plate next to the big (24"gong) and told my son I was going for it and hit it the 2nd shot. First time shooting that Primary Arms 1x6 scope so it took a little playing around to figure the holds. But I would say that was pretty accurate.

gerritm