Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old Eyes, Iron Sights, Accuracy Testing...

Smitty79

I'm 57, a little near sighted and normally wear bifocals. My shooting glasses have the dominant, right, eye focused for the front sight in my normal stance. The left eye is my distance correction.

I decided on a bullet for my USPSA shooting last Spring. 147gn bullets gave me a measurable split improvement, on Bill Drills. The Blue Bullet 147 was the most accurate of the 147's at 15yds.

Since then, I've probably cut my bill drill time in half. So I am a different shooter today. I think I could handle a snappier bullet if it had other benefits.

I am trying to shoot longer range tighter shots. So accuracy is more important. I've read several places that, based on twist, CZ's are more accurate with a little shorter bullet.

I bought some Bayou 124's and 135's, I already had loads worked up from last Spring's testing, and headed for the range.

I was going to test at 25yds and then maybe try 50yds.

I was shooting at white paper plates with 1 inch orange stick ons. At 25 yds, I can't see the orange stick on with my right eye. It sits offset some because only the left eye can see it. It makes it very hard to repeatably aim the gun at the same point on the target.

I guess I could go buy a Ransom rest, but I'd rather not. Any recommendations to do it better to find if another bullet will actually be better?

Instead of eyes focused at different lengths,

I've had pretty good luck with a compromise

focal length. :cheers:

Have the focus 3-4 feet in front of the front

sight, and vision has been pretty good out

to 25 yards - no where near when I was

21 years old, but not too bad. The front

sight is pretty sharp, and I can still see the

1" orange sticker at 25 yards (fuzzy).

And, no real sense measuring for accuracy

that we can no longer achieve, because of

poor eyesight. If you find a load which is

2" at 25 yards with a ransom rest, but you

can only shoot 6" groups at that distance,

no sense trying to get the most accurate

load you can find with a ransom rest.

Getting close to buying your first OPEN

gun, I think. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Yes, but if I can only shoot 6" groups at 25 yds with bullets that are 3" group from a ransom rest, getting a bullet that group at 2" at 25yds allow me to shoot 5" groups instead of 6".

I am going to try a better Rx for glasses. It's nice to hear that a 3 to 4 foot focus works.

I am about to get an SP-01 to replace my CZ85. I'm tempted to get a rail mounted mount and put a dot on it for testing. Then I can shoot, and lose, Open any time I want.

bullseye target is your friend. You don't need those tiny dots to shoot small groups. Using a 6" black bull at 25 yards with a 6 o'clock hold will work fine. Bullseye shooters shoot 2" (and smaller) groups with that target all the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Visit your eye Dr. and have him place the eye vision chart at 2x the distance of your eye to the front sight and and measure you there. As Hi-Power Jack wrote, this way will improve your front-sight vision and still enable you to see the bullseye...not perfectly but should be good enough.

After the eye Doc

Go with a NRA bulleye target for the distance your shooting (i.e. 25yd slow fire for 25 yds.)

Since forever they've been telling bullseye shooters to concentrate on the front sight and let the target blur.

My 57 year old eye can still shoot small groups that way when testing handloads

I use front sight corrected top line (bifocal) so a slight bend of my head down gets me my front sight nice and clear and even a small plate at distance is very visible.

Might give it a tray

Hope the best for you, I understand!!!!

After my visit to the eye doctor a couple weeks ago, my new bifocals came in. Went to the range and saw an immediate improvement in my groups. Front sight a little blurrier than when I used to wear low power prescription ready glasses but now I can see how my target looks with just a tilt of the head.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of us 57 year olds up in here! It's somewhat comforting to know that others my age struggle with vision issues. Don't know about yall, but it's very frustrating to me! My mind works like it did in my 20's/30's but my eyes aren't cooperating.