Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Compare G35 and 1911/2011 .40 reacquiring target?

igolfat8

If you have shot a G35 and a 1911 / 2011 which are you able to reacquire the target faster with? I have never shot a .40 1911/2011 but when shooting my .45 and my G35, side by side, the 35 is noticeably faster to get back on target. I am not sure if its the platform, the weight difference between polymer and steel frames or .40 to .45 .

I recall once thinking that I shot a 1911/2011 platform faster than my G35. So I ran a test. Set up a simple 12 round IDPA stage that only had one movement. I shot the stage five times each with a .40 2011 that I built, a 9mm 1911, .45ACP and my G35. All loaded to a 130 PF. I threw out the high and low score of each gun.

So shooting the 1911/2011 I am thinking there is no way I can shoot a Glock faster/better. Well the results did not lie. I shot the Glock faster. Your results may vary.

Ive shot both, using the same factory ammo during a practice match over the summer. I shot a Glock 35 with Dk Customs trigger and shot a bone stock STI Trojan in .40. I felt reaquiring my front sight was quicker on my Glcok 35 vs the Trojan. However my shots were more accurate with the Trojan vs the Glock 35. That might be because of the all steel 1911 vs a plastic fantastic felt Glock. I love both and I still shoot both equally.

Could it be that you have many more rounds through the glock type guns? I'm thinking with equal rounds through both guns the 1911/2011 will be faster/more accurate. Otherwise Glocks would dominate all divisions, and they don't. This is not Glock bashing just looking at results. Also sharper recoil will make guns seem faster. I shot a cz once and thought it seemed slow but the difference was it wasn't jumping around in my hand and I could really see the slide cycle.

Edited by RJH

I think its in the grip. Glocks' grip angle and high placement helps a lot in recoil management. In 2011/1911s the grip is lower and the angle makes the hands struggle more for control. On the other hand the light weight of the glock doesnt help much in muzzle flip while the 2011/1911s does help a bit. So it boils down to personal technique and preference. Ive shot both platforms a lot in IPSC prod, standard and open divs. and I prefer the Glocks' handling/ergo and recoil management but I prefer the trigger of the 2011.

I prefer the Glocks' handling/ergo and recoil management but I prefer the trigger of the 2011.

Thanks for the feedback. If you like a 1911/2011 trigger may I suggest you check out Johnny Glock's trigger. He builds the closest Glock trigger to a 19-2011 trigger. They are amazing and I have nothing to gain by this.

I also wonder if the lighter overall weight of the Glock plays a role in getting the muzzle down faster?

It could be but I think its still the glock grip that helps the hand have more leverage to manage recoil effeciently. Due to its more slanting angle the firing hand is naturally pushing the gun forward and higher on the grip while the support hand is naturally canted forward and downward. All these are good for recoil control and accomplished automatically w/o penalty to the shooter. Otoh, in 1911/2012s i have to learn and apply these techniques w/ more effort. I have to force my hand up against the beavertail to acquire a higher grip. With its lesser grip angle I loss a lot of leverage vs the direction of recoil. The support hand also has to be forced to cant forward. I compensate these weak spots w/ more grip and wrist pressure.

Steve Anderson answered this question more than ten years ago on this very forum.....

Pick one and practice. Odds are you will stop trying to improve before the gun limits you....

Couldn't agree with you more. Buy lots of bullets and practice.

Edited by bulm540

It's all about grip angle and bore axis. Glocks have 2011/1911 beat in both areas. A big Glock plus is you don't have to touch the slide release. Seat the mag and the slide goes forward.

I've never had a glock slide go forward on it's own when seating a mag. Can you explain how you do this? I've been able to do this with M&P's but never a glock.....

Steve Anderson answered this question more than ten years ago on this very forum.....

Pick one and practice. Odds are you will stop trying to improve before the gun limits you....

Couldn't agree with you more. Buy lots of bullets and practice.

+1 But if you have reservations on the gun you are practicing with it makes it less effective. You have to PICK FIRST to settle the issues in your mind.

It's all about grip angle and bore axis. Glocks have 2011/1911 beat in both areas. A big Glock plus is you don't have to touch the slide release. Seat the mag and the slide goes forward.

I've never had a glock slide go forward on it's own when seating a mag. Can you explain how you do this? I've been able to do this with M&P's but never a glock.....

I use 13# ISMI springs and a slightly modified lever. I put a slight bevel on the part of the lever that sits in the slide notch.

I run my fastest splits with a 38super 1911 loaded to minor .14's- .15's at about 5yd while running stages, with my GLOCKS (and everything else) I am a little slower .15's-.16's on similar targets, it would take a very large number of .01 faster splits to make a noticeable difference in your score.

I use 13# ISMI springs and a slightly modified lever. I put a slight bevel on the part of the lever that sits in the slide notch.
Sounds awesome. Can you post a picture of your modified slide stop? I would love to try that!

I have glocks and also an sti 2011. I have found that I can get a much better grip on the glocks. The glocks feel like an extension of my body whereas the sti seems bulky and awkward. The sti is more accurate but I really prefer shooting my glock.

I think I can track the sights better with the sti but I haven't really noticed being able to "reaquire the sights" for follow up shots any quicker.....

You will shoot faster with the one you practice more with.

You will practice more with a sweet ass blaster that you absolutely love.

Therefore

You will shoot faster with a sweet ass blaster.

edit: I did not intend to make this rhyme but it does, so deal with it :)

Edited by waktasz

Inspite of the +s on Glocks I posted above, I eventually morphed to 2011s in IPSC Std. and Open. While re-acquiring the target fast is an aid to fast shooting, the trigger type and quality help much in fast AND accurate shooting. And the single action trigger of 2011/1911 is still the best there is for me. While a lot of trigger mods are available now for Glock, still its not a SA 1911 trigger. My Glocks' trigger pull now is at 2#5oz, as light as my 2011s' and reliable on a wide range of primers and I love it. And sometimes I feel a strong urge to shoot my Glocks again. Im equally torn between these 2 platforms. A blessing or a curse? ?

Eta: but something in me is saying eventually I will be shooting Glocks again for good. I just love its simple, cheap, functional, reliable and user-friendly platform.

Edited by BoyGlock