Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Metal grip for my STI?

ALF

I have decided that I want to have a metal grip for my STI HighCap.

Which one would you guys recomend?

The Infinity one seems to be complete except for the trigger insert.I will have to get new Magazines though but i can live with that.

For the Phoenix Trinity one am I not that sure what parts comes with the grip. A mag release for instance?

What other parts does one need or it is complete kit?

Any input on this is welcomed!

post-8601-0-38849000-1419230247_thumb.jp

Edited by ALF

I have heard so much about the STI aluminium grip,that is is not an option....

Also will I have a competent gunsmith do the work so that is not what worries me.....

Edited by ALF

When I got the PT grip, they supplied a mag release. It was ground down on one corner to fit the profile of the grip, but it was also drilled and tapped for a button.

I got one of the first batches of grips with the basic SVI-style pockets. I like it. Adds 9oz over the plastic grips and you can use SVI trigger bows/inserts to customize your trigger.

My STI plastic grip is a little large around for my smaller hands. Either I have to shave it down some or replace with steel grip. Interested in hearing about both option and what 'size' results can I expect? Thanks...

Hah, funny to see this thread today,

I am literally waiting for PT to open today so I can call and order an aggressive grip for my 2011 sti.

I shot a match with my friend's gun (outfitted with a PT grip) and it was like night and day compared to my plastic grip. The recoil, tracking, and overall feel was MUCH more solid.

I was pointed towards an aluminum grip up for auction on GunBroker. It is a Gen II grip, so it (supposedly) does NOT have all the problems their first aluminum grips had (cracking). But I know myself, and know that if I buy the budget aluminum grip I will still only be biding my time until I get the PT Steel grip...

In my mind, buy once cry once, spend the $$ on the PT grip and you won't be disappointed... So far all people I've met at matches with PT grips couldn't be happier.

I sent a mail to PT and they answered promptly. I am now on the waiting list for an aggressive grip in Stainless steel. That I can use my STI mags is a nice touch.....

Thanks guys for all your input......

I was pointed towards an aluminum grip up for auction on GunBroker. It is a Gen II grip, so it (supposedly) does NOT have all the problems their first aluminum grips had (cracking).

Don't be fooled, the Gen 2 STI's are just as bad as the 1st gen. Cracked 2 and broke the sear spring retainer on a 3rd one. All covered under warranty but they still have a cracking problem.

I now have a PT grip that has had no issues and couldn't be happier.

I just got a mail from PT they have a 10 wek lead time so I can have my new grip fitted before Double Tap in June......

I also just hopped on their 10 week list.

Spoke with Tiffany on the phone and she said they had an entire carload of PT products stolen on their way to a Major match and that is their reason for the 10wk delay.

Bummer for PT, bummer for the customers, but at least they say they'll be back on track soon.

I was pointed towards an aluminum grip up for auction on GunBroker. It is a Gen II grip, so it (supposedly) does NOT have all the problems their first aluminum grips had (cracking).

Don't be fooled, the Gen 2 STI's are just as bad as the 1st gen. Cracked 2 and broke the sear spring retainer on a 3rd one. All covered under warranty but they still have a cracking problem.

PT aluminum or steel?

PT aluminum or steel?

I have the aluminum with the aggressive texture. If I were to get another, it would be the stainless / aggressive. One of the guys I shoot with has the stainless and it is awesome.

post-7678-0-35003600-1419274242_thumb.jp

According to all of my research on the PT stainless grips the answer to your question is a definitive and resounding "Maybe"...

If you have a PT frame, it is pretty much a guarantee it will fit,

If you have an STI frame, from what I've heard the older frames are more of a PITA to get the grip on, and then other STI frames are a perfect snug fit.

Hoping everyone with hands on experience can chime in... also curious to hear about peoples experiences with the mag releases and what does/doesn't work. Hoping I don't need a new mag release.

Mine required very minor fitting. Some of the edges and corners on the grip needed to be rounded or relieved for the grip to go fully onto the frame. The Dawson Ice magwell also needed some minor massaging to fit. And the edge of the mag release needs to be contoured to the grip. If you use a metal mainspring housing, it will also need some fitting.

I have an older STI frame this went on.

Edited by robb315

I just had to knock off the edge or the grip in front of the front trigger guard screw and it fit like a glove. Could have just been the tolerance of the hard chrome. They are awesome, go for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32C13BA0-3BDC-445E-8DB3-B8332B024D23_zps

I just put on the aggressive SS on my open gun. The Agg... Is nice for smaller hands and it even works with a right side release. I will say that make sure you fit the trigger good. I just slapped it in this weekend and had issues. Polished it up real good and seems good to go now

I love my stainless smooth. I have always had grip tape type grips and like to be able to replace it when I want. For me the weight was important to help with an injury. It was not drop in in my case with an STI frame. I have real concerns about transition with this much weight, but it is not a choice for me.

I have a SS aggressive from PT, it required very little fitting. It was a snug fit for sure, a little time with a stone and it fits perfect. I used the same parts that were on my plastic grip, STI trigger, dawson steel MS housing and ice magwell. All parts dropped on except the ICE, I had to relieve the back just a little where it meets the MS housing. A little blending of the mag release as well.

Just back from IonBond at Springer Precision

post-36967-0-66300200-1419346783_thumb.j