Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vortex scope mount

RAZZ

It is a nice lightweight mount. Be careful to use the correct wrench when tightening the bolts as they are not the hardest steel and can be rounded out. I have one on my rifle.

In your opinion, is it a step above the Burris PEPPR-type mounts and other sub-$100 mounts quality wise, or is in that general area? I don't mind spending more to get a quality mount, but I don't want to spend it on a QD that I don't need.

Thanks.

The only other AR mounts I have are the ADM QD and while they work fine I did have problems when I used the wrong screws in the wrong holes, but that is not a problem with the mount. I also found myself adjusting the QD so tight that I needed to pry it open so it was not really QD anyways.

I do not have to proper tools to evaluate concentricity or any of the other measurements to see if quality is lacking. The only thing I could do was see if the accuracy dropped between the ADM and Vortex and it did not.

I have their 3" offset mount and I'm happy as can be. Its a minimalist price of gear, everything you need and nothing you don't, just the way I like it. And I've taken the scope/mount off twice now and put it back on with no zero shift.

I have a vortex mount on my AR. So far so good. I take decent care of my gear, and don't shoot as many matches as some folks do. But, it's held zero and the price was right. Like others have said, don't get too carried away tightening the screws and you'll be fine. I'm actually considering pulling one each of the screws so I can get the correct sizes to upgrade them a bit. Not required, but the OEM ones aren't confidence inspiring. Yes they held, no they didn't strip or loosen up.

I have the 3" offset version. It's a good mount. My rifle has spent time flying to matches and there has been no change of zero.

I replaced the screws with 8-40 screws from Brownells. I did have to turn the heads down to fit the counterbore in the mount. The mount already has Heli Coils in it.

Edited by Dan Sierpina

I noticed on the link the center of the scope/mount is 1.59" high. Iron sights are about 1.4" up (some sources say 1.5"). Either way, it would be to high for me. FYI

Is a .09-.19 height difference enough to be a deal breaker? I can't say I've ever been able to tell a difference, all AR mounts are in the same range of height, or at least fairly close.

I've got one of those suckers and it is not the most tacticool out there but it seems to hold up just fine with the punishing recoil of 5.56 and dump barrels. Great mount for the rifle on a budget....

• 4 weeks later...

The only irons I'd have on a 3 gun rifle with this mount and a Razor scope would be offset at 45 degrees so why is the height difference significant? (Unless I am missing something they won't be co-witnessed)

• 1 year later...

This is a great mount. The screws do suck though. Even with the correct size bit and torque wrench they still strip. I called Vortex and they sent me new screws. They seemed to be tougher.

Hardware store screws won't work either. The head of the screw is larger than the recessed area in the mount.

I paired it with Vortex Eagle Strike scope. Good quality mount and unlike other mount with big knob on the side, this one is pretty much stream lined. Holds zero so far. Correct torque and bit size will help avoid stripping the screws.