Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light primer strikes on Zev Open Glock - Help!

Davidp1911

Who,Ya :goof: David; that's one NICE open Glock friend. How does that KC optic mount attach to the frame. Don't see any other holes in your frame like the SJC mount

The mount clamps on the picatinny rails up front and uses an extra long trigger pin along with an additional pin just above it for added strength.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one quick check for striker drag is to dry fire the gun and hold the trigger back then shake the gun front to back and listen for the striker to clink back and forth, if it doesn't you have some drag on it somewhere.

I had a gen 3 open gun (in my avatar) and I needed to replace the trigger bar to get it to quit light striking just from wear on the safety bump. (stock bar not aftermarket)

I will try the shake test, thanks. I did notice Zev's trigger bar has been modified and lightened, seems like not enough meat to engage the plunger. I will try the trigger bar swap too.

I did the shake test and I could hear the striker clink back and forth, onto to the next recommendations.

You didn't mention in the OP, do you have the extended striker as well? My Open Glock (not a ZEV build buy using a fulcrum trigger w 2# striker / 11 lb recoil spring) reliably lights off CCI Magnum SPPs. I'll have to check for SRPs, but you could probably get away Mag primers.

The plunger bump on the ZEV triggers is a bit smaller than stock Glock but at the same height, just a sharper radius. Never had an issue w any of my 3 fulcrums with the ZEV extended striker.

I have a G17 Open Glock with all the "goodies" on it, as well as my "experimental" C-More RTS2 :mellow:

I don't have any Zev stuff on it, but lots of hot-up parts like your gun.

I've been using Federal Small Pistol primers in my 2x G34s as well as the above unit, for as far back

as 6 years and never had a light strike. Errrr maybe 3 light strikes ?. I must be blessed !!

Load-up a batch of ammo with Federal s/p primers and see how you go.

BTW, I have 2x S&Ws (a 586 and a 686 with trigger jobs) and have been using Federal s/p primers

in them for yonks-- and they always go bang.

My motto is "Go light- Go Federal"

I hope you sort it out.

You didn't mention in the OP, do you have the extended striker as well? My Open Glock (not a ZEV build buy using a fulcrum trigger w 2# striker / 11 lb recoil spring) reliably lights off CCI Magnum SPPs. I'll have to check for SRPs, but you could probably get away Mag primers.

The plunger bump on the ZEV triggers is a bit smaller than stock Glock but at the same height, just a sharper radius. Never had an issue w any of my 3 fulcrums with the ZEV extended striker.

Yes, the extended striker came with the Zev Fulcrum trigger group. I tried a 5# striker spring with the Zev striker with the same results. I though all magnum primers tend to be even harder than regular rifle primers..?

I read somewhere that if the overtravel is to short it can cause light primer strikes....... Then again that might of been for 1911's....

I heard and read the same with adjustable Glock triggers but I didn't adjust either pre- or over-travel on the trigger -- it has plenty of both.

After inspecting the Zev safety plunger, I did notice some abrasion on one side of the contact area which could be signs dragging if the trigger bar release nub wasn't properly disengaging it. I've also swapped back on the factory plunger and spring for the next text.

David this is Ray Wong from ZEV. I'm the director of special projects here and I shoot a 9 major Glock open gun weekly in competition. I'd like to make arrangements with you to send the gun in. I will have your sales rep send you an insured shipping label. I'd like to go through your gun to diagnose the issue. It could be a number of things and I would be guessing unless I could physically inspect and test fire the gun. Please look for an email from us and I'll give you a ring later today to get some notes started. We will get this figured out and make it right. Sorry for your frustration but as you probably know sometimes a open gun needs a little extra tuning to get it running right. On thing in particular I want to check is the head spacing of the conversion barrel.That is my first guess based on your description of the various ammo and primers you have tried.

David this is Ray Wong from ZEV. I'm the director of special projects here and I shoot a 9 major Glock open gun weekly in competition. I'd like to make arrangements with you to send the gun in. I will have your sales rep send you an insured shipping label. I'd like to go through your gun to diagnose the issue. It could be a number of things and I would be guessing unless I could physically inspect and test fire the gun. Please look for an email from us and I'll give you a ring later today to get some notes started. We will get this figured out and make it right. Sorry for your frustration but as you probably know sometimes a open gun needs a little extra tuning to get it running right. On thing in particular I want to check is the head spacing of the conversion barrel.That is my first guess based on your description of the various ammo and primers you have tried.

Thanks, Ray. I will give you a call today.

I had the same issues as you, I ended up buying a wolf spring 4lb and it works great. The Zev spring for the 2lb pull is considered a 4 lb spring as well but apparently the wolf 4lb is a little stronger. I have not had a problem for 500 rounds so far!

Light primer strikes off centered could mean firing out of battery w/c may be caused by a bit short chamber. Glocks' trigger design do fire w/ chambers a bit out of battery. If the chamber is a bit short or the reload is a bit long for the chamber theres the chance of firing oob even w/ heavier recoil springs.

Light primer strikes off centered could mean firing out of battery w/c may be caused by a bit short chamber. Glocks' trigger design do fire w/ chambers a bit out of battery. If the chamber is a bit short or the reload is a bit long for the chamber theres the chance of firing oob even w/ heavier recoil springs.

Slide slightly back <> out of battery. Out of battery is barrel unlocked from slide. I have yet to see a Glock that will fire with the barrel hood even a few mm below the slide surface (where it would still be OOB).

You may get a click with the slide not fully forward (due to a long round) but the striker block would catch the striker, and even if it didn't you'd have no ill effect.

Slide slightly back <> out of battery. Out of battery is barrel unlocked from slide. I have yet to see a Glock that will fire with the barrel hood even a few mm below the slide surface (where it would still be OOB).

You may get a click with the slide not fully forward (due to a long round) but the striker block would catch the striker, and even if it didn't you'd have no ill effect.

Didnt I said "a bit out of battery"? So you want an exact terminology eh?

So no ill effect even if the trigger actuated in this condition? The striker will hit most probably off centrr of the primer and the indentation will be light because the tip of the striker hits the primer at a distance. That can cause misfires. And thats not bad for you.

Im just trying to help like you so...