Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The pipe dream of quitting the job you hate for happiness.....

Truegent2004

I'm in my early 50s, teacher, and I hate my job. It's by far my number one source of stress. I make decent money.

I'd just like to quit, maybe move and live a simple inexpensive life until I can start collecting teacher pension. People tell me I should do something gun related since its my main hobby. But what? I dont know metalworks enough to build guns.

What gun related field could a teacher work in?....I'd really like to make the jump.

I quit corporate 20 years ago, and it was extremely stressful -

no benefits, no steady income - part of my feelings of self-

worth were related to my title, and it was also gone.

Think seriously about all other options - as bad as teaching

is (I tried that too, and didn't enjoy it, either) - no income or

benefits is a LOT worse.

We got into our own business - and that was 18/7/361 (always

open to the public and working our butts off). No time off.

Move slowly .... try something out before you leave teaching.

Continue teaching while you try out other options ....

Can you leave teaching, and then return at your current level??

Negotiate with the school before you leave.

Good luck.

If you find something gun-related, let us know - most of us

would LOVE to do the same thing. :cheers:

I'm in my early 50s, teacher, and I hate my job. It's by far my number one source of stress. I make decent money.

I'd just like to quit, maybe move and live a simple inexpensive life until I can start collecting teacher pension. People tell me I should do something gun related since its my main hobby. But what? I dont know metalworks enough to build guns.

What gun related field could a teacher work in?....I'd really like to make the jump.

My employer made the choice really easy for me..... they just laid me off when I was 53.

I have no idea what gun related industry could make a living. With the cost and shortages on ammo, most of the ranges around here are starving and have laid off most staff. I doubt most people could make a living doing gunsmithing, there isn't enough work.

Edited by bountyhunter

• 2 weeks later...

The shooting industry definitely isn't an easy one to make a living in would you truly enjoy the work. as more than an escape from day to day life? If it's truely something you love start looking for carreers in the field there are many... There is no such thing as a professional shooter though.. possibly instructor, journalist. either way, you going to work harder and get less benefits of where you are now.

maybe start looking into what stresses you about teaching and taking it less seriously. ?

In the interest of getting a word in before the thread is locked for becoming a discussion, here is my thought-

I have owned my own firearm related business for over a decade, and keep waiting for that spot when the stress level drops. The market changes, supply changes, people's interests change. Constantly having to re-think and adjust business to accommodate. Then it gets bigger and you have to hire people to keep up. Now, instead of just stressing about keeping MY kids fed, I am also worrying about keeping my employees employed. When work is busy, I do 70 hour weeks so we don't fall behind. When things are slow, I work 70 hour weeks trying to drum up more work so we don't run out. I hardly ever work less than 12 hrs a day. I have taken 2 days off together maybe 5 times this year. When I go to a match it is more difficult to enjoy than it used to be, since I am repping my company now, and if I look bad, my business looks bad. So there is much more pressure to perform well. Most successful entrepreneur type businesses are run by very driven, Type-A people, who rarely relax and enjoy the success they create. You may find that you are the exception to this, but from what I have seen/ experienced in my lifetime, the stress seems to travel with its owner, not the job. Perhaps what would benefit the most( I know it would for me) is rather than trying to find the environment with peace in it, try to find the peace in your environment. Sounds a little Zen-ish, I know, but the truth is that stress exists in the way we process events in our lives, not in the events themselves.

If you turn what you love to do into a job, it then becomes what you hate....work...

And on that note...

This Hate rant has turned into a discussion, which is beyond the bounds of the rules for the Hate Forum. Thus, it must be closed.<br /><br />Please review the Hate Forum Rules:<br />http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8097<br /><br />[note: this is a generic response]<br />