Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Max OAL for SP-01 magazines?

zhunter

I'm going to ream my chamber to load longer, so I need to find out the longest I can load and have my mags run 100%

So let's hear it, how long can I go?

The reason is I'm shooting 147's and getting about a 20% failure rate in my HUNDO case gauge due to case bulge on the 9mm.

Edited to add: I'm currently loading at 1.0995"

Edited by zhunter

I just went through this because I had about a 5% failure rate with 135 grains because I had to load at 1.100". I found I can load the 124 gr bullets out to at least 1.155 and pass the plunk test, but I didn't try any that long in the magazine. I can tell you 1.135" worked without issue with Bayou Bullets 124 gr RN through my MecGar 17 round magazines. Interested to hear what others have to say as well.

Reaming to load longer is one issue. Isn't a 20% failure rate in your case gauge a different issue?...or are you implying that your cases are bulging due to being loaded short?

Reaming to load longer is one issue. Isn't a 20% failure rate in your case gauge a different issue?...or are you implying that your cases are bulging due to being loaded short?

Because the base of the bullet is seated so far into the case, the case is bulging and causing the high failure rate. I use these for one shot draw and one shot reload drills. They all work and function fine, but no way I'm going to use a round in a match that does not pass the case gauge.

hmm....I don't have an answer to your question about max length for magazine feeding. However, I wonder what is causing 20% of your rounds to fail the case gage.

I've loaded 3000 147's, 2000 135's and 1000 165's and have only had 3 total rounds fail my Dillon case gage. All of these bullets are round nose and the OAL has ranged from 1.125 to 1.145 as I experiment with the loads. I'm using a quick spray of Hornady One Shot on FC brass and loading on a 650 with Dillon dies.

Guess I'm not helping much here, just wondering out loud.

hmm....I don't have an answer to your question about max length for magazine feeding. However, I wonder what is causing 20% of your rounds to fail the case gage.

I've loaded 3000 147's, 2000 135's and 1000 165's and have only had 3 total rounds fail my Dillon case gage. All of these bullets are round nose and the OAL has ranged from 1.125 to 1.145 as I experiment with the loads. I'm using a quick spray of Hornady One Shot on FC brass and loading on a 650 with Dillon dies.

Guess I'm not helping much here, just wondering out loud.

You OAL is much longer than mine, hence the difference in failure rate.

I load as long as 1.170" (tried 1.189" once and it gave me random mag issues) with 115s in small frame mags, my go to load for Production is a 135gr Xtreme at 1.135", I've loaded Frontier cast 147s out to 1.140" and the 135s out to 1.165".

You always have all of the answers to all of our questions. Thanks!

The case gauging issue is headstamp related. I get almost 100% failure loading CBC, AQUILA and PPU brass. WIN, RP, *-* and many others are almost always fine. IMI seems to fail about 10% of the time. This is loading Blue Bullets 147's to 1.12".

I'm loading for 4 different CZ's and I haven't felt like getting them all reamed. So I sort brass.

The case gauging issue is headstamp related. I get almost 100% failure loading CBC, AQUILA and PPU brass. WIN, RP, *-* and many others are almost always fine. IMI seems to fail about 10% of the time. This is loading Blue Bullets 147's to 1.12".

I'm loading for 4 different CZ's and I haven't felt like getting them all reamed. So I sort brass.

No doubt mixed brass is an issue. No way am I sorting brass :) the HUNDO gauge makes gauging pretty quick.

I'm just going to ream my two shadow barrels, the P-09's only shoot factory self defense ammomand it's not an issue

I've loaded 3000 147's, 2000 135's and 1000 165's and have only had 3 total rounds fail my Dillon case gage.

He's using a Hundo which is tighter than your Dillon gauge. Most of the rounds that won't go all the way in my Hundo will drop right into my Dillon gauge.

I've loaded 3000 147's, 2000 135's and 1000 165's and have only had 3 total rounds fail my Dillon case gage.

He's using a Hundo which is tighter than your Dillon gauge. Most of the rounds that won't go all the way in my Hundo will drop right into my Dillon gauge.

Interesting, that is something I have wondered about.

or are fine for a barrell chamber spin/plunk test

Recently switched to production with CZs.

Was going through some old ammo and had some berry's 147s loaded out to 1.16.

They would not work in the Mecgar plated mags that I'm using with my Shadow.

I ended up settling at 1.14 for my loads.

Interesting, that is something I have wondered about.

Looks like they make a couple versions. You don't have the "Match grade" version do you? That would be pretty tight.