Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ SP01 springs

Gdub

I have a SP01 Shadow from CZ Custom with all the works. I can't remember what weight recoil and hammer springs it has in it. The gun shoots great and is 100% reliable. I just want to play around and feel the difference. I have a couple of questions.

What is everyone's favorite recoil/hammer spring combo?

If I go with a lighter weight spring combo, will I notice a difference in recoil. It's a 9 so I know recoil is lower anyway.

Note: all I buy is Federal primers so that is not a problem.

Thanks,

Assuming as stated you only use Federal primers:

IF you have a 1050 and seat you primers deep, you can use a 8.5# hammer spring.

IF you have a 650 don't go below a 11.5# hammer spring.

Recoil springs are about feel and muzzle movement as well as ejected brass.

My 11.5# hammer spring lights up all Winchester primers

I have an 11# recoil spring in mine. I have a stock fp spring with some coils cut off and stretched out. I have a 11.5# hammer spring. With the other work done to the gun my DA is 6lbs and my SA is 2lbs and very smooth with almost zero reset.

All federal go off, 99% winchester go off and the ones that don't do again with another pull from DA. so i'm pretty sure it's just the depth on those particular rounds.

I have gone with the 8lb hammer spring and the lightened fp spring from cajun as well in another gun. I went back to the midweight stuff from the super low stuff.

I'm going through the same thing right now.

Recently switched to the #8.5 hammer spring from Cajun. Loading with a 650, using Federal Primers.

So far, I've only had trouble with one round out of about 1,000 fired using this combination. And that was a high primer I should have caught when chamber checking the rounds.

Haven't yet tinkered with recoil springs, but I did order a few different weights from Cajun to try out.

Just swapped to a 11.5# hammer spring and a 11# mainspring. Have a 1% failure rate with Winchester primers? Is the solution deeper seating?

Long term goal is federal primers all the time.

Yes, that is why I posted above about using a 1050, that way you can set the primer seating depth.

I have 2 of these guns set up one for match one for practice hopefully my data helps.

Both guns have extended firing pins and the very light Cajun firing pin springs and trigger return springs.

Match Accushadow:

8.5# hammer spring 10# recoil spring + lots of polishing = 4lb. 9oz. double under 2lb single MUST use federal primers but its 100% if I seat them properly. This gun is obviously tuned for match shooting light loads very flat very little recoil very light almost too light trigger. The 10# spring shrunk my double groups reduced A-C targets meaningfully so don't underestimate how much finding the right combo matters.

Practice Shadow:

11.5# hammer 11# recoil + polishing = 5lb. 10oz double 2lb 11oz single. I use whatever primers I want and its at least 99%+ with whatever. Gun shoots fine little more movement and little heavier trigger makes my match gun feel amazing when I really push.

I have 2 of these guns set up one for match one for practice hopefully my data helps.

Both guns have extended firing pins and the very light Cajun firing pin springs and trigger return springs.

Match Accushadow:

8.5# hammer spring 10# recoil spring + lots of polishing = 4lb. 9oz. double under 2lb single MUST use federal primers but its 100% if I seat them properly. This gun is obviously tuned for match shooting light loads very flat very little recoil very light almost too light trigger. The 10# spring shrunk my double groups reduced A-C targets meaningfully so don't underestimate how much finding the right combo matters.

Practice Shadow:

11.5# hammer 11# recoil + polishing = 5lb. 10oz double 2lb 11oz single. I use whatever primers I want and its at least 99%+ with whatever. Gun shoots fine little more movement and little heavier trigger makes my match gun feel amazing when I really push.

Very interesting. Thanks for the info.

In my Accu-Shadow I found a 11.5# hammer spring and a 11# recoil spring worked best for me. Both springs from CGW. I used to run a heavier recoil spring but my testing found better bill drill groups using a 11# spring.

I recently tried CGW's 8.5# hammer spring but I got too many light strikes. I am using Federal primers but I think my issue is seating depth from my Hornady LNL. At this time, I will live the the .75 to 1.0 pound heavier double action pull from the 11.5# spring.

• 2 weeks later...

SP01 Shadow Custom with additional polishing, including FP bearing surfaces. CGW 11.5# mainspring, trigger spring, & FP spring. 6# DA, 2.5# SA, very smooth action. Sets off WSP, Rem 1-1/2, & CCI 500 primers without a problem. 650 loading press.