Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

16" 3-gun rifle ideas?

1eyedfatman

I'm looking around for a good 3-gun upper with around a 16" BBL. Hopefully, it would have those things which would make it attractive for 3-gun…excellent accuracy, reliability, lightweight, full length hand guard, etc. I already have 2 rifles…Stag Arms 3g 18"bbl, Colt 6932 16"bbl with a Troy Delta extended rail. The Stag has been great for those bigger matches were things are spread out and there are targets 300-500 yards. But, I want something light, quick and 3-gun worthy for some of those matches where they are in 30-50 yard bays.

I came across the Adams CORR (or C.O.R.) Ultra Lite 16.5" upper selling for around $1k. It sounded perfect. Light weight, match grade barrel, 16.5", rifle length gas system for reduced recoil. While there are videos with people loving it and having a blast shooting it, there are also some bad reviews on Midway with cycling issues and "TheTruthAboutGuns" review complains the thin barrel wips and its not that accurate.

Anybody have experience with the Adams C.O.R. 16.5" or do you have any ideas on a good 16" 3-gun upper setup? I've never built an AR other then simple stuff like changing triggers, saftie, etc. and I don't think I want to start. Would rather get a complete upper. Also, I'm out for bag-for-the-buck (hence the 3g) so while I could probably go to JP or somebody and drop some $$$, I would rather cap it at the $1k range.

If you have put triggers in the gun, the upper is easy. Usually if you know someone at the club who has done them it can be accomplished for the cost of a few beers when its done and is some nice information to have.

It all depends on how light you wanna go . For the 16 inch barrel a mid length gas system works well. Vodoo has a ultralight barrel thats a mid length

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/3346140757/voodoo-innovations-barrel-ar-15-556x45mm-nato-ultra-lightweight-contour-1-in-7-twist-chrome-moly-black-melonite-finish?cm_vc=ProductFinding

For hand guards, the midwest industries 15 inch keymod is under 10 oz complete and has a slim profile which is very easy to brace with.

For uppers, if you dont want a forward assist or dust cover Anderson has a well made sporter upper that has the deflector but nothing else.which is nice if your running a light weight carrier where there are no serrations for the forward assist anyway

I just bought a new upper for 3 gun. You may be interested in this black Friday deal that goes until Dec. 1st.

www.dsgarms.com

16" barrel with seekins 15" handguard ff

Adjustable gas block

Comes with upper receiver, barrel, forend, BCG and bolt.

mid length gas system

$399

I had one of the nordic 16" barrels trying to accomplish what you are after. Accuracy simply wasn't there. I was somewhere around 3" at 100 yards. Even for a short light hoser top end, that ain't gonna cut it. I would like to have the same thing, but that same top end needs to be able to ring an 8" plate at 300 and 3" at 100 won't do that. I am watching this thread closely for suggestions from others who have accomplished this goal.

I built a back-up rifle/coyote rifle with a 16" JP light weight contour barrel, RCA lightweight carrier, 15 Samson hand guard, and either a Cooley comp or bird cage depending on whether I'm hunting or bring it to a match as a back-up. It shoots extremely well and comes in right at your $1000 mark. Why don't you just build one?

FWIW, I've never shot it at a match because I've never thought I would gain anything over my 18" JP/Seekins rifle.

http://www.usamade-ar15parts.com/product-p/cur16tgmc.htm

Mine has been good to me. Even managed to shoot a 3/4" 5 shot group with wally world ZQI ammo yesterday. Not too long ago on here Pat Kelley told me it was the best out of the box gun he's tested. I trust that he wasn't just trying to make me happy about already owning one.

Edited by TonytheTiger

I had one of the nordic 16" barrels trying to accomplish what you are after. Accuracy simply wasn't there. I was somewhere around 3" at 100 yards. Even for a short light hoser top end, that ain't gonna cut it. I would like to have the same thing, but that same top end needs to be able to ring an 8" plate at 300 and 3" at 100 won't do that. I am watching this thread closely for suggestions from others who have accomplished this goal.

I just ordered one of these, hope I have better luck.

Check out the Stretch 16 from Strong Side Tactical. http://www.strongsidetactical.com/stretch-16-precision-ar15-barrel-assembly-cerakoted-16-223-wylde-intermediate-length-gas/

It has an intermediate gas system that is two inches longer than carbine length gas systems that really makes the recoil impulse feel like a rifle length on a 18" barrel. Gaurenteed 1 MOA accuracy.

Full disclaimer is that Strong Side sponsors me however I would not write this if I didn't think it was a fabulous product. I have an 18" JP And 18" Seekins that sat in the gun safe all year after trying this barrel last winter.

I just bought a new upper for 3 gun. You may be interested in this black Friday deal that goes until Dec. 1st.

www.dsgarms.com

16" barrel with seekins 15" handguard ff

Adjustable gas block

Comes with upper receiver, barrel, forend, BCG and bolt.

mid length gas system

$399

I'm on the back order list for one of these too.

I cannot build an upper with the quality parts that go into this upper for that price.

My only concern is the "unnamed" brand CM barrel. But if it don't work out, I've got a 16" BHW barrel sitting in the corner just waiting to be called into action.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

I recently built a fairly light 3Gun 16" upper with the same demands you've outlined.

Anderson light upper (no FA, no dust cover)

Nordic 16" mid-length barrel

Seekins ATC comp

YHM lo-pro block

VooDoo lightweight BCG

AP Custom 15" carbon-fiber hand guard

Total price - just under $700.

Used current lower with SD3G trigger and standard carbine spring/buffer. With ACS stock, the rifle balances right in the center of the mag well.

The only thing I'd change on mine is going with adjustable gas - but it runs fine as is.

Edited by KY1911

What kind of ammo were you using in the Nordic that got 3 Moa.

Factory 55's, hand loaded 55's with benchmark, and hand loaded 69smk's with tac.

Pretty much same result with all three.

All three out of an 18" Nordic barrel were sub MOA and the 69's would have been 1/2moa except for one flyer out of a 5 shit group.

3moa out of a nordic barrel? you must be doing something wrong. it is as accurate as anything i have tried(noveske,jp,wilson,lilja,lothar,daniel,lmt) Easily 1moa or better. i have shot a 1.2inch group with wolf and no sandbags.

Sam

3moa out of a nordic barrel? you must be doing something wrong. it is as accurate as anything i have tried(noveske,jp,wilson,lilja,lothar,daniel,lmt) Easily 1moa or better. i have shot a 1.2inch group with wolf and no sandbags.

Sam

I'm certainly open to suggestions. I called Nordic and tried the one suggestion they gave, which didn't work. They told me that I could send it in, but it would be on a shelf until they got around to it, and they are so busy that they had no idea when it might be.

you must be doing something wrong. it is as accurate as anything i have tried

Sam

I'm beginning to think a bad batch of barrels may have made it out of the factory. I started a thread last September about a 16" Nordic barrel that averaged 1.5" to 2" groups at 100 yards. Tried all the suggestions offered in the thrread to make things better. End result is the barrel is now on a second upper and used only for close range practice.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Check out the Stretch 16 from Strong Side Tactical. http://www.strongsidetactical.com/stretch-16-precision-ar15-barrel-assembly-cerakoted-16-223-wylde-intermediate-length-gas/

It has an intermediate gas system that is two inches longer than carbine length gas systems that really makes the recoil impulse feel like a rifle length on a 18" barrel. Gaurenteed 1 MOA accuracy.

Full disclaimer is that Strong Side sponsors me however I would not write this if I didn't think it was a fabulous product. I have an 18" JP And 18" Seekins that sat in the gun safe all year after trying this barrel last winter.

I know a few are following this post and some others may come across it so I wanted to post what I decided on. After some follow up discussion and research on Drew's Strongside Tactical Stetch 16" intermediate lenght gas system barrel...I went ahead and went with that.

- Strongside Tactical Stetch 16" precision intermediate length gas barrel (comes with low profile gas block and tube)

- SLR Rifleworks 15" Solo Ultra Lite Series Keymod Handguard (comes witih barrel nut)

- Aero Precision complete upper receiver

- Compensator - to be determinded...leaning towards Titan, possibly Rolling thunder

- BCMGUNFIGHTER KAG-KM - Kinesthetic Angled Grip - KeyMod Version

I'm hoping this will be everything I hope for in a 16" 3-gun competition rifle. It sounds like its what the Strongside Tactical 3-gun team is using as far as BBL and handguard. The barrel is stainless steel and was developed more for accuracy but has turned out to be a good 3-gun competition barrel. Thanks Drew!

I'm certainly open to suggestions. I called Nordic and tried the one suggestion they gave, which didn't work.

Can you share their suggestion?

Thanks.

Bill

In attaching the barrel, I had loctited the seekins barrel nut to the reciever and let it set up. I then installed the barrel and loctited the barrel nut into the seekins nut. They told me not to loctite the barrel nut because the barrel may have loosened in the reciever and since the barrel nut was locktited, it would still feel tight, even if the barrel wasn't. I took it all apart and rebuilt it just as they prescribed and have zero change in group sizes. Tried different lowers, different bolts, all ended up with the same result. Even shot a group with the comp removed. Edited by B45C22

Have you tried it on different uppers? Have you tried squaring the upper when you installed the barrel? Some are off and dont allow the barrel to sit is as well.

Here is the lapping tool and good instructions on how to use one

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/receiver-tools/ar-15-m16-upper-receiver-lapping-tool-prod20220.aspx

I'm certainly open to suggestions. I called Nordic and tried the one suggestion they gave, which didn't work.

Can you share their suggestion?

Thanks.

Bill

In attaching the barrel, I had loctited the seekins barrel nut to the reciever and let it set up. I then installed the barrel and loctited the barrel nut into the seekins nut. They told me not to loctite the barrel nut because the barrel may have loosened in the reciever and since the barrel nut was locktited, it would still feel tight, even if the barrel wasn't. I took it all apart and rebuilt it just as they prescribed and have zero change in group sizes. Tried different lowers, different bolts, all ended up with the same result. Even shot a group with the comp removed.

Similar to my attempts. After no joy with reloads that shoot under 1/2 MOA at 100 yards with another gun and a sampling of every factory round I could find in the garage, I pulled the barrel and reinstalled with a little additional torque. Checked the gas tube to assure it was not hitting the carrier. Pulled the comp, inspected the crown and shot the gun without the comp. When I pulled the barrel I checked for any burrs around the gas port and chamber.

Then I pulled the barrel and put it on another upper receiver and started all over again. This barrel did not like anything I tried to improve accuracy. Testing was done with an 18x scope from sandbags on a calm day.

Bill

Have you tried it on different uppers? Have you tried squaring the upper when you installed the barrel? Some are off and dont allow the barrel to sit is as well.

Here is the lapping tool and good instructions on how to use one

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/receiver-tools/ar-15-m16-upper-receiver-lapping-tool-prod20220.aspx

No, I didn't do that. I didn't know that tool existed. I, like bill, have moved on from that barrel. It is on a hog shooting rig that never sees action over 100 yards. 3" is certainly minute of hog.

I am interested to see what good options are out there for a 16" accurate, light weight barrel though. I just got a new BHW 18" barrel and if it is as accurate as my other nordic, i will probably contact them to make me a short, light barrel as well.

Edited by B45C22

• 4 weeks later...

I finished my 16" 3-gun rifle. Strongside Tactical was great support on this project and guys on their 3-gun team run this setup or close to it. Shot it first time at the range today and it shot great. The target was at 100yrds (rifle zeroed at 50yrds) with $7/20 box of cheap .223 ammo and from a guy that doesn't practice at distance. I'm happy with the way it turned out.

- Strongside Tactical Stetch 16" precision intermediate length gas barrel (I did switch to a Troy non-adjustable gas block)

- SLR Rifleworks 15" Solo Ultra Lite Series Keymod Handguard

- Aero Precision upper and lower receiver

- JP lite BCG & Silent Captured Spring

- Compensator - Lantac Dragon comp

- SWFA 1-6x scope

AR15_stretch_zps6570875e.jpg

AR15_stretch2_zps01b40b35.jpg