Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

90 degree Mount vs Standard Open Division

KOBGT

I know this subject has been beat to death, but I have a new twist. I have an open gun being built and am bouncing back and forth with the 90 and vertical/standard c more mount. I've messed around with others open guns so I really don't have any muscle memory issues to overcome. I've read about the advantages of the 90, dot closer to bore, no ejection issues, etc. the only negative I have seen is, it blocks your vision. Is this really the case, forum posters that claim to use the 90 say it doesn't , the ones using the vertical say it does. Here is something interesting, it looks like all of the top 10 finishers in this years nationals use a standard mount. Is there a reason for this, or is it because they have been shooting open so long they didn't want to switch? I know through training I can progress with either, but if there is a true advantage (other than personal preference) I would like to know.

I've used the 45 degree Barry mount for several years and love it. To sight it in you just angle the target to agree with the 45 degree Barry mount and no problem adjusting the sight. It also doesn't have any issues with blocking your vision... I have an extra Barry mount if you are interested...

I've used the 45 degree Barry mount for several years and love it. To sight it in you just angle the target to agree with the 45 degree Barry mount and no problem adjusting the sight. It also doesn't have any issues with blocking your vision... I have an extra Barry mount if you are interested...

Do you have pictures?

Do you have pictures?

Google "Barry C-more mount"

I've never had an issue with my 90* mount.

But then again , that's all I've ever used.

Also the parallax is a lot less with the 90* mount on close targets.

I tried a standard mount for a bit and could not get used to the index, right off the bat at least.

I'm going to say it's all preference.

Edited by OzzieF

The top guys don't have ejection issues with their guns, if it provided any addition value to the type of shooting we do they would be using the side mount. Its really that simple...

I think it can be argued that top guys are the last to adopt new technology/techniques because they have so much training invested in the prevailing paradigm; EG has said as much about his index finger on the trigger guard grip.

Upright all the way. No offset.

I'll beat it some more. With a good smith, there is no reason to go offset or 90.....NONE.

With any of the .38 variants there is NO REASON TO GO OFFSET OR 90.

The offset and 90 type mounts were developed for 9 guns. They are a cure for a problem that does not exist if you have a good

smith

I don't suffer malfunctions running 9 ever, but my smith is excellent. Some of the best smiths just havent spent the time figuring out how to get 9 to run flawlessly.

Additionally, if you are a doofus, not methodical, all thumbs, like to tinker, measure once cut once, the gun is to blame, I'm perfect, smith is dumb, gun is junk type of person, ..........don't go nine. YOU WILL END UP SCREWING UP A GOOD GUN WITH YOUR OWN STUPIDITY. Then you'll be on here or another forum bashing a good smith.

Nines are less forgiving, mags must be tuned, extractor perfectly tuned, ejector perfectly tuned, and most importantly, YOU MUST PROCESS YOUR LOADS CORRECTLY. I have done all this and haven't had to tinker one little bit in 6-7 years.

Yes, a 90 gets the dot closer to the bore, which helps reduce POI/POA differences. But, sighting in your upright at 17 yards or more does the same.

I went nine 6-7 years ago, got my mags tuned, developed a good overall round, and have never had a problem with my gun running.

But, like I said, I don't tinker with stuff. I haven't tinkered with my mags since they were tuned all those years ago. Not once.

YMMV

Good luck, sorry for the ramble.

I think (assuming no ejection probs) that the regular mount is more reliable.

With a 90 mount if any screw gets loose your zero goes to shit. On an upright mount it's not so sensitive.

And yes I run a 90 mount. Purely for the bore offset advantage and the index/muscle memory advantage as an iron sight shooter.

I don't have any issue with the sight body obstructing my vision at all.

They each have their compromises but I can understand why top shooters use the upright mount and my guess is that it's the small (but important) reliability aspect. All the top guys need a gun that is 100% reliable. Any less than that is no good.

I prefer the 90 degree mount for 9 major, but I'm newer to than from doing iron sights/production, and prefer the dot as close to bore as possible, and what folks say above on 90s.

One argument 'for' upright mount not mentioned above might be ability to use a blast shield for your c-more if you are running barrel holes / poppel holes - you really can't fit a blast shield to the 90 degree mount that I've seen.

• 2 weeks later...