Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Bayou Bullet for CZ 75 SP-01

johnsons1480

As far as valid reasons, I did not notice much of a difference accuracy wise between the Bayou 135's and 147's. BUT, I cannot load the 135's in my accushadow longer than 1.10 while the 147's pass the plunk test at 1.15 OAL. The 147 FP profile is much more forgiving.

As far as valid reasons, I did not notice much of a difference accuracy wise between the Bayou 135's and 147's. BUT, I cannot load the 135's in my accushadow longer than 1.10 while the 147's pass the plunk test at 1.15 OAL. The 147 FP profile is much more forgiving.

I ordered a sample pack of 124s today. If I don't fall in love with those, I may try the 147s. I had some trouble shaving lead with the 147s when I tried a sample pack a while back, but I think I can figure out how to fix that now.

If you try the 147g Bayou's again, a suggestion to help you avoid an issue I ran into. Dillon sizing dies have a removable insert you can set for round-nose or flat-point bullets (all brands may have this. I just only have Dillon dies). The flat-point on a 147g Bayou is smaller in diameter than the diameter of the flat-point insert. So if you use that, the bullets have a lot of slop to move around in there, resulting in A LOT not passing case gauge because they aren't straight. Using the round-nose insert doesnt' allow this to happen.

I have a CZ-75 SP-01. I have tested roughly 20 different brands/profiles of 9mm for maximum possible OAL in the CZ-75. The following can be loaded all the way to 1.160" and work just fine.

Do you know how long you were able to load the Bayou 124 gr RN and still fit in the magazine? I'm running MecGar 17 round mags.

Follow up question. Is it a valid test to load one long round, and then load 16 short rounds on top into the magazine to see if it's too long? Or do you need to load 17 identical rounds for a valid test?

The 135gr round nose

Is it a different profile than the Bayou 135? Because I can only load that one to 1.100". The reason I'm asking is that I'm have a lot of failures to gauge with the Bayou 135 because I'm loading it so short. I was having no problems when I was loading the same bullet to 1.125" for my Glock.

I would highly recommend looking at the BBI 135 grain. Chandler molded that due to the rise in popularity of the shadow. It also helps that mink/automatic accuracy exclusively use the BBI 135s.

That was mentioned earlier, but no one commented on it being a different profile or not than the Bayou Bullets 135. I wish I had one of each to do a side by side comparison.

They are both the same profile. The mold is a Magma Engineering mold.

Thanks for that info. The leaves me at the same place, seating 135s so deep that I have a high case gauge failure rate. I'll be doing some testing with length and Donnie's 124 grain bullets this weekend. Anyone have a starting load for N320 in an SP-01? I'm looking at 3.8, 3.9, 4.0, 4.1, 4.2 as a test.

Hundo case gauge. I haven't tried them in the barrel. I have a box of them to try eventually.

I use the Hundo case gauge, too... If a round passes in the Hundo, it will shoot in my Shadow... The Hundo is slightly tighter than the dillon case gauge, but my reloads almost always pass in the Hundo, and it's much faster than using the Dillon single-round gauge.

I shoot a lot of 135gr Bayou bullets in my CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow... Originally loaded to 1.135 OAL and later to 1.125 OAL without problems. I bought my Shadow from Matthew Mink (Automatic Accuracy), it's possible that he reamed the barrel, although it isn't listed on my bill of sale.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been loading Bayou 147s and BBI 135s for my CZ 75 SP01.

I check my max chamber depth for all bullets. The 147s are at 1.130" (0.015" off lands) and the 135s are at 1.080 (also 0.015" off lands). Both have about the same powder volume available under the bullet at these seating depths.

Both load great, both gauge nearly 100% in the Shockbottle gauge from Ben Stoeger's store (if one misses it's either an "off" brand case or I screwed up somehow). Both are very accurate.

Using Titegroup, 3.1 gr in 147, 3.2 gr in 135, both 130 PF. I use regular Lee dies and a Dillon taper crimp die, set to just take the flare out of the case.