Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Squib Rod

ad5md

I am looking for a squib rod to add to my range kit (.223/9mm). No, I have not experienced shooting a squib load and I hope I won't :). Heard about the squib buster and sent an email to the guy who makes it but didn't get a reply. Brownells sells one but costs too much. Any suggestion where I can get one? Having a delrin on one end would be nice so as not to scratch the barrel. Tnx

Ernie

I use the galvanized steel rod that you buy in the hardware section at Lowe's or Home Depot. 5/16" works well for 9mm. 3/8" works for .40 S&W, 7/16" works for .45 ACP. It usually comes in 4-foot lengths. I cut them at 8 inches, so I get 6 of them for less than 4 bucks. Sell four of 'em to your friends for a dollar each and your two are then free. The only caveat is to chuck each one in a drill or lathe and really polish the ends so that they won't scratch up your bore.

For the .223, I don't know what I'd do. I wonder if they make a 7/32" rod....

I am looking for a squib rod to add to my range kit (.223/9mm). No, I have not experienced shooting a squib load and I hope I won't :). Heard about the squib buster and sent an email to the guy who makes it but didn't get a reply. Brownells sells one but costs too much. Any suggestion where I can get one? Having a delrin on one end would be nice so as not to scratch the barrel. Tnx

Ernie

Buy mine at Home Depot. Just get a wooden dowel of the appropriate diameter and cut to length. Been using the same one for about 20 years. Costs a couple of bucks.

Edited by bountyhunter

I went to Home Depot and just looked around for something that would work. Depending on caliber, I got a "bicycle flag" plastic rod with small red flag attached. Very rugged and just cut to length. Also picked up some plastic coated electrical wire to use for .22 LR pistol/rifle. Solid core wire, don't recall gauge, is pretty stiff when inside a barrel for support.

... Larry S.

I use the arredondo one. I'm pretty sure it won't be long enough to use in an AR but would be fine for a 9mm pistol. fits neatly in range bag.

currently $10 on special at SSI https://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?id=AA5&n=Arredondo-Squib-Rod

or $11 from either ben stoegers shop or shooters connection.

http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/product-p/sqr-07.htm

http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Arredondo-Squib-Rod-P100.aspx

Edited by BeerBaron

Get a squib rod and keep it in your bag. If you are a good ammo maker you will never use it on your gun. My squib rod has only seen action in other's guns.

Wish I could say that, I have used mine twice.

But learned a valuable lesson. If you have a squib in one batch of ammo, might as well pull them all.

On another note I broke one of the Arrendondo ones, they are hard plastic and dont take to hammer well.

I have been wanting to have a squib rod in my range bag for a while now but have never gotten around to getting one. Recently I decided to slug the bore of a couple of my guns and decided I needed one for that. Went to Lowes, got a 5/16 wooden dowel, either maple or oak, cant remember, but it came 36" long. Cut it into 8" sections, worked great for slugging, now I have extras. Cost was $1.04 plus tax, spent more in gas to go get it.