Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taurus or Springfield

wamcei

If you had the choice between the Taurus 92 clone or the Springfield XD 9 match for production division which one would you choose and why?

To be honest I am leaning towards the Springfield but would like to get the communities input.

I used to have a PT92 w/ AL frame and nickel plated slide. It was reliable but I never really found a good accurate load - but that was before I started reloading for pistol. Between the two, I think the XD will enjoy greater aftermarket parts support.

I'd look at the XD first.

I have had 4 M92/99s. 2 were purchased and worn out after around 50k rounds, and 2 were new guns that the company replaced free. Outstanding gun, lots of stuff available if you are looking to play. Don't care for the aluminum frame but a normal shooter would never wear one out. Try a 125 or 135gr plated bullet over 4.0gr Win 231. All day fun. IMO of course...

I have had 4 M92/99s. 2 were purchased and worn out after around 50k rounds, and 2 were new guns that the company replaced free. Outstanding gun, lots of stuff available if you are looking to play. Don't care for the aluminum frame but a normal shooter would never wear one out. Try a 125 or 135gr plated bullet over 4.0gr Win 231. All day fun. IMO of course...

Thanks Dr. Phil for your input

I used to have a PT92 w/ AL frame and nickel plated slide. It was reliable but I never really found a good accurate load - but that was before I started reloading for pistol. Between the two, I think the XD will enjoy greater aftermarket parts support.

Thanks Rob they both feel good in my hand. Can't decide lol decisions decisions decisions lol

it all depends on you, it sounds like you have one of each and want to start shooting production with one so which one do YOU shoot better? they will both work well in Production Division and neither will be the reason you don't win the nationals this year. pick the one you like to shoot the most and go play.

Thanks Rob they both feel good in my hand. Can't decide lol decisions decisions decisions lol

try shooting a match with each and see if that gets you closer to an answer.

No I don't own those 2 the place I work for is donating to me one or the other. Which I can hardly believe since I have only been working for them for 2 weeks.

Get the Springfield, Taurus quality control is spotty.

No I don't own those 2 the place I work for is donating to me one or the other. Which I can hardly believe since I have only been working for them for 2 weeks.

Get the Springfield, Taurus quality control is spotty.
Thank you for the advice

I have owned a few Taurus handguns and I would recommend to stay away. I have never owned a PT92, but I had a revolver and small auto. I cant remember the model numbers. Both guns started off pretty nice, reliable and accurate with nary a problem. After getting a couple hundred rounds through them the problems started to show up. The revolver's trigger kept getting worse the more it was shot instead of becoming better like a S&W. The heat treat on the trigger parts was paper thin and soon rounded off and became dangerous. Taurus did replace the parts, but I sold it as soon as it was fixed. The auto was a 380 pocket gun that functioned well, but the extractor self destructed and flew off while I was shooting it. Again Taurus fixed it up and I sold it soon afterward.

I have owned XD's since they were HS200. I found them to be accurate and reliable. I put many thousands of rounds through the ones I had and there were no issues. I only sold them off because I liked the M&P series of pistols better.

I assume the PT92 is a DA/SA with a decocker just like a Beretta. Keep in mind that DA guns must be decocked in the holster, so your first shot would be DA. Might not be a problem if you are used to a long DA trigger pull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree about the high bore axis of the XD's. That and magazine issues is the reason why I went with the M&P series of pistols. If the OP can, see if you can get a M&P instead of the XD from your employer. Cost should be about the same on their part.

I hate the high bore-axis of XD's and prefer a heavier gun if possible. Go with the Taurus

Can you tell me what the Height-over-bore is on a Springfield XD compared to, say a 1911? How about grip angle?

It's pretty much the same height over bore and the same grip angle, just a double stack so it's wider. Plastic frame so it's lighter. It does flip more. If you want a low bore go with the M&P, Glock or the lowest and most controllable would be the CZ.

I hate the high bore-axis of XD's and prefer a heavier gun if possible. Go with the Taurus

Can you tell me what the Height-over-bore is on a Springfield XD compared to, say a 1911? How about grip angle?

It's pretty much the same height over bore and the same grip angle, just a double stack so it's wider. Plastic frame so it's lighter. It does flip more. If you want a low bore go with the M&P, Glock or the lowest and most controllable would be the CZ.

This was the point I wanted to make. As much as I hear the high bore-axis myth about the XD, the gun was purposefully modeled after the 1911, which last I checked, is a pretty respected firearm in competitive circles. I put probably 8k rounds through my M and the only failure to cycle I ever had was due to an ammo problem.

Edited by kcobean

With a CZ are you talking about the 75? Is there a big difference between the 75 & 75B? As this might be an option also. I am still working him for a 34 but says I could get a 17 lol

Why aren't you considering the 17 if it is an option? just curious