Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Barrel Profile for 3 Gun

Flatland Shooter

I'm thinking of getting a new 16" barrel for a competition only carbine. I already have an 18" Black Hole Weaponry barrel in standard configuration that is super accurate so I've narrowed this purchase down to another BHW. (Plus BHW is running a 20% discount on any and all of their 16" barrels ending tonight.)

My goal is the lightest upper possible that will still be good out to 500 yards without a drastic POI change after warming (heating?) up.

All profiles are offered with mid-length gas system and threaded for a compensator.

Profiles offered:

1) Pencil (requires 0.625" gas block)

2) Slim

3) Light weight

4) Standard

Unfortunately BHW does not supply the barrel weights.

I suspect most will rule out pencil and slim barrels, but hoping someone will share their experience with the light weight and standard profile barrels.

So what say you?

Bill

(Just an additional comment. I can order any of these barrels with a 1/9, 1/8 or 1/7 twist. I plan on ordering the 1/8 twist unless anyone can advise why a different one is in order.)

Edited by Flatland Shooter

I usually do Nordic barrels, and even have a spare 16" laying around from the last 20% off group buy.

But I think you're going to want the voodoo ultra lightweight in 16". I haven't heard anything bad about them yet, and they're really light.

But I think you're going to want the voodoo ultra lightweight in 16". I haven't heard anything bad about them yet, and they're really light.

That's what I picked. For every time you might have to shoot out past 250 yards after enough shots to heat up a barrel where a thin profile might hurt you, you'll probably have to transition between a couple hundred close targets where that light thin barrel will help you.

I have a BHW 16" LTM (Light taper, medium gas) and I am always impressed by its accuracy.

Hot and Cold and shifts of impact has a lot to do with concentricity. Even pencil barrels can shoot great provided they turned perfectly ID to OD.

Edited by P.E. Kelley

I'm using Black Hole's Light contour, in an 18". I also received a 20 Light Contour, but in a 9" twist, since I use 55 grain bullets. The 9" will stabilize a 69 grain bullet, and possibly a 75 / 77. I have a 9" twist barrel that is on a Wilson Arms match grade blank, it handles 75's just fine. The 9" twist could improve accuracy with less costly bullets, since the RPM is slower.

I went with the BHW 16" LTM (Light taper, medium gas). Delivery is estimated at 6 - 9 weeks.

I purchased a BHW 18" standard profile barrel last year and continue to be impressed with its accuracy. Hoping this 16" barrel will be just as good.

I agree that the BHW website could be more useful. A lot of the information I've found on their barrels has been here on the Enos forum. Now that BHW is a 3GN sponsor, maybe a little more info will be available.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Thanks. I have an unused Sabre in 16" that's a replacement for one AR. Daniel Defense is right up the road from me and make really good barrels that are extremely light. Made a nice M4 I use a lot. All are 1:7, I'm shooting 77s most of the time in that. Occasionally use in local 3 gun. From this thread I guess some of the attraction on BHW and Voodoo is the customization and cosmetic work. It makes the nightmares of a few years ago with no product seem like a bad memory. Thanks for the info.