Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI GM good starter gun?

Sandbagger123

I went thru the same question seven years ago when I bought my

first OPEN gun.

I finally bought a TruBor worked over by a major seller of TruBors.

Had a rough time making it run. :ph34r:

Bought a 2nd "backup" TruBor worked over by Brazos, and it ran

like a clock = still is running perfectly when I remember to change

the springs on occasion.

Seemed to me the GM had unnecessary accessories that I didn't

need or want. Very happy with my decision - although the GM

is very pretty. :cheers:

Hello: I would save the money and get a blued Tru Bor in 9mm. As you get better and start to know what you like you can change the Tru Bor up to make it your own. There may be a place on the frame that rubs you the wrong way that you need to grind down so on a blued gun it can be reblued easily. You may want to lighten the slide etc. Thanks, Eric

i have a nice limited 2011 already and have been thinking of getting another limited gun. But i have wanted to try out open and am thinking of using that money to get a STI GM in 9 major.

So is the out of the box GM ok for a starter gun?

STI GM vs Trubor, I have been shooting the GM for about 1.5 years. First of all, I would buy the 38 Super. I shoot 9 Major in mine as well as many of my fellow shooters. The GM is a few oz (44.6 vs 42.0) heavier than the Trubor. I like the extra weight. I am using the Dawson tool-less guide rod at this time - it is just plain easier to clean after every outing ( like you have to do with an open gun).

I personally like the blue look instead of black like all the other guys. I have found 38 super brass on the web and reload it with 130 gr bullets and enjoy the rise and recoil. I also use 147 gr Xtreme and shoot 9 major with the GM. What has been most suprising it the issues I have had with the C-More. One had a bad on/off switch, then the screws on the mount to the slide keep comming lose, now - the elevation lock screw continues to loosen and I hate to use glue on the plastic.

Which ever gun you chose, I am sure you will enjoy the STI product. Buy new - don't buy someone else's problem child.

Realistically, the GM and Trubor have both gone up so much in price that there is no reason to buy either.

The price in some online retailers with no mods is 2800.

The Blackdog Gunworks open gun starts at 2600 and has plenty of nice options. I haven't used him before, but I've heard good things.

Please, don't support STI's ridiculous price increases and relatively sloppy build quality. I can remember not very long ago, not at all, when a Trubor was 2200.